• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[WARNING] Malicious ghost clients Rate Topic: -----

#2 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:49 AM

Ah. i witnessed one of those. though i didn't really notice a significant performance drop, it was quite funny to see. after all they all timeout out rather quick.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#4 User is offline   DSZ Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: dsz

Posted 28 November 2015 - 08:54 PM

It is a urt bug which can by used to attack server and fill up all slots on server. Many times I got well known players on jump server left in this state with ping 999 (for hours). I got in firewall connections tracking and those players looks like active cus time to timeout not decrasing at all. Setting connections per IP should be at least 3 and not less, saw people who connected those 3 times at once and previous sessions needed to timeout. Is good idea to set it up at all to prevent players from abusing votes system too.

BTW if you try connect to server and just tap "quit" bind very fast than on server will stay 999 ping session of client which will need timeout but those which are not abble to timeout are something else and not all for purpose.

Is weird that already vanilla urt server cant stay alive without use of big-brother-bot, vote times control, calling a vote by rcon... and many more + now need activate some ping kicker plugin to clean up server from ghost sessions.

#5 User is offline   cyrus Icon

• Account: cyrus
  • Main tag: [PCC]

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Yep, happened at our server just today. I ended up killing the offending connection at the firewall, but this cvar is a better solution. Thanks for the info.
This was quite disruptive to us, as when the server filled to capacity, there were lots of Connection Interruption errors. And I never did time out.
BTW, in our case the offending IP address was 200.114.224.151, an address in Uraguay, though the ISP appeared to be Argentinian. Thought I would pass that along so you might ban a known bad actor.
Also, they are rather dumb. They generate new GUIDs per ban and come back to the same server. IP ban at the firewall stopped this. cvar adjustment should keep me from chasing the dumbasses around from IP to IP.

This post has been edited by cyrus: 29 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

Disorder... Chaos... Anarchy... Now THAT's fun!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   cessquill Icon

• Account: cessquill

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hopefully a proper fix can be sorted to stop these idiots wasting everybody's time. Where I work, several of us often visit the same server during breaks, so I'm hoping that an IP limit isn't the only solution.

#7 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 08 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

View Postcessquill, on 30 November 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

Hopefully a proper fix can be sorted to stop these idiots wasting everybody's time. Where I work, several of us often visit the same server during breaks, so I'm hoping that an IP limit isn't the only solution.

I second this. I know many colleges and high schools where lots of people play together in servers during their free time. it would be a shame to limit entire school and office networks.

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 08 December 2015 - 04:16 PM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

#8 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 08 December 2015 - 05:47 PM

View PostDark-knight, on 08 December 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

I second this. I know many colleges and high schools where lots of people play together in servers during their free time. it would be a shame to limit entire school and office networks.

Still wonder why schools and especially offices allow access to this. Urt is the new facebook (all of a sudden).

BorderFox

#10 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostMr.Yeah, on 08 December 2015 - 05:53 PM, said:

Then find a way to limit the amount of clients allowed per GUID? (and make sure not to set it to 1 so that players experiencing CI/999 pings are still able to reconnect) That would do the trick I guess, assuming everyone is playing with their own copy of the game.
Once again though, I don't know if such a cvar exists in the official build

EDIT: Or... do it the old fashioned way and only allow a limited amount of connections from one client/IP/guid within a given timespan (I assume all these "ghosts" tried to connect at roughly the same second?)

would that prevent people at schools or offices from connecting?

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942