• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IPv6 Support and Implementation Rate Topic: -----

Implementing and supporting IPv6 on UT4.2

#1 User is offline   linz Icon

• Account: linz

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

Hi There,

As I have recently joined the UT Forums, I don't know if there has already been a discussion on implementing and supporting IPv6 on UrbanTerror 4.2 (preferably in a dual stacked IPv4/IPv6 manner), but I'm keen to know where we are at with this.

Kiwiarena is coming back online and the server that it's hosted on has full IPv6 connectivity. IPv6 implementation is one of my focuses.

#3 User is offline   fallguy Icon

• Account: fallguy

Posted 27 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostRaideR, on 05 October 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

No we wont use IPv6, while its true any hosting company worth a damn has dual stack IPv4/6 support, Home connections are "Not ready".

Here in the UK you cant get "Home IPv6", it simply doesnt exist. And only in the last 6 months have "Lease Lines" had this as "standard".

So no, IPv6 wont make it to UrT 4.x

Hi there, now one year later IPv6 is becoming a big deal on the major cable ISP in Germany. The three major cable ISP (I'm working for one of these) are enabling IPv6 some month ago with DS-Lite as fallback for IPv4 connection. So a native IPv6 connection to UrbanTerror servers would be great. The normal IPv4 connection sticks behind a big Carrier Grade Nat Engine and many people share the same public IPv4 address. In the hard situation if someone is banned by an IPv4 address all other honest players are banned too.

For instance I've tried to create a IPv6 enabled server. My server location is of course available over IPv6 and I think I can remember about IPv6 support in some older Quake3 dedicated server packages. Anyway, IPv6 connection was not possible so I've found this thread from about a year ago.

So, it would be great if there will be an update in the future for IPv6.

Best regards and thank you for this great game!

FallGuy

This post has been edited by fallguy: 27 October 2013 - 12:23 PM

#4 User is offline   garcassgrinder Icon

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:34 AM

Agree, it is just a question of time when IPv6 is needed. IPv4 address range is running out, there will be a change to IPv6 in the infrastucture for sure.

UrT is dying since 1999, so if UrT will die then maybe because of no IPv6 support.

This post has been edited by garcassgrinder: 28 October 2013 - 12:35 AM

#5 User is offline   revisor Icon

• Account: revisor
  • Main tag: :{Per}:

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:52 PM

View Postgarcassgrinder, on 28 October 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Agree, it is just a question of time when IPv6 is needed. IPv4 address range is running out, there will be a change to IPv6 in the infrastucture for sure.

UrT is dying since 1999, so if UrT will die then maybe because of no IPv6 support.

I am surprised to see that this thread has been silent for 4.5 years.

We all know that ipv6 is on the rise and is in fact even replacing ipv4 in some parts.
Many important ISPs do not offer private ipv4 connections anymore.
Of course there is DS-lite, so everyone can still connect to any ipv4 server, but unfortunately it is impossible to host an UrT server with that.

Personally i would love to set up a server, but i cant because of exactly this issue. And i guess im not the only one (but im not sure about that).
Definitely it would be great for the future of urT to support even pure ipv6 hosted dedicated servers to gain flexibility and maybe even a larger playerbase in a world where ipv4 is a luxury which is not that common any more.

https://www.google.c...statistics.html

It would be very nice if you (dev-team) would consider my thoughts and think about that.

Kind regards!
Rev

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 15 March 2018 - 08:35 PM

View Postrevisor, on 15 March 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Personally i would love to set up a server, but i cant because of exactly this issue. And i guess im not the only one (but im not sure about that).

Have you tried the alternative (non-official) server engine ioq3 from Mickael9 ?
I think that version inherited IPv6 from ioquake3.org. You can find executable built in the prebuilt binaries repository from Mickael9, better use the latest build (currently 115). There you can find ioq3urt-m9-release-*.zip files for Windows or Linux (they contain both client and server engines). You only need to place the corresponding executable (with correct permissions) in the same directory as the original Quake3-UrT-Ded* and launch server using it instead. In theory the engine should work in any UrT 4.x version.
Please, if you succeed in IPv6 with the Mickael9 engine, tell us here your experience and observations...

Note: don't forget to look at new cvars "net_*" in Mickael9's ioq3 README.md, and keep in mind the comments about IPv6 support in ioquake3.org, an ipv6 server can handle ipv6 and ipv4 connections simultaneously, but it could not appear in master list, or it could require IPv6 capable clients (also available in Mickael9 engine) to see it in the in-game list...

This post has been edited by karnute: 15 March 2018 - 09:03 PM

#7 User is offline   revisor Icon

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

Yes, i saw that alternative modified ioq3 engine.
But that would not be the same. The playerbase would be extremely small (i guess), because the normal client executable would not be able to connect to this modified server.
So if i got it right, that would be a feasible solution if i want to play with some friends who download and use the modified client, but not for the general player base.
Anyway, thank you for your suggestion karnute.

#8 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:28 PM

View Postrevisor, on 15 March 2018 - 09:23 PM, said:

because the normal client executable would not be able to connect to this modified server.

Are you sure? At least in IPv4 both, client and server, are totally compatible with official ones. That is, you can play with m9 client in a official server and you can play with official client in a m9 server. These are only compatible engines, not modified game code.
In comments about IPv6 support in ioquake3.org says "A server can handle ipv6 and ipv4 connections simultaneously". But if your server can only be reached through ipv6, then only players with ipv6 support from their ISP and with computer configured for ipv6 could play in your server anyway...
Have you looked at other games using ioquake3 engine, how are they dealing with ipv6? Someone must be the first testing these new protocols...

P.S.: Also if you find any bug related to IPv6 (or other aspect) in Mickael9's build, you can open an issue in github with details.

This post has been edited by karnute: 15 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

#9 User is offline   revisor Icon

Posted 16 March 2018 - 07:36 AM

Interesting.

I will try it. Thank you for your suggestions!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942