Urban Terror Forums: a little question for the devs (not a suggestion) - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

a little question for the devs (not a suggestion) Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:28 PM

Interesting. If people has more exact data of when, which weapon was introduced (or removed). I could add these info to the Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....s_and_equipment

#12 User is offline   Spectre Icon

• Account: spectre

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

if your going to be updating the wiki article anyway nexu, you should add in a "Critical Reception" section and mention the reviews from those random gaming sites, the linux.com review, mod db shite, and when it and oswald appeared on that show...that would probably help a lot with notability issues.

#13 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:30 AM

Nexu, I suppose I could look through my complete collection of past versions of Urt...but I have to be motivated.

#14 User is offline   [TDGS] Spetsnaz (old) Icon

• LocationMaine

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:32 AM

What were the boots for?

#15 User is offline   Princebuster Icon

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

kicking just like it is now.
WOLF: omg if you have all the previous release, I would love to get them from you somehow. I remember several years ago there were some 1.27 nostalgia games goin on.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   {C9}Wolverine (old) Icon

• LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

Let me see, what versions do I have...I believe I have every single full install of every version. I am a bit of a collector. I only keep the full install, not upgrades unless a full version was not released. If someone knows of any I am missing please let me know so I can find them.

Quake 3 Required
-----------------
2.6a

ioTerror
--------

Edit: I really need a DVD writer since some of these take up a full CD

#17 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:05 AM

Nexu, I suppose I could look through my complete collection of past versions of Urt...but I have to be motivated.

Thanks, how about just upload them somewhere? :-]

#18 User is offline   Princebuster Icon

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

jesus wolf. jesus.

alpha should totally host a retro day, where you lead up to it for a week by upping the version somewhere and then running it on server for 24 hours :D

#19 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:25 PM

alpha should totally host a retro day

It was done before a few months back if i recall. Problem is non of the new players in UrT (except for a few) actually has Q3A with legit key to play online.

#20 User is offline   Crazy_Butcher (old) Icon

Posted 27 September 2008 - 06:15 PM

the team indeed modelled the first set of weapons after actionquake2 mostly. And btw there was no "desert eagle" in the beta 1.x series. Basically each "category" had 1 weapon. Being German myself you can figure why there is a HK bias in the game ;) and Dragonne is right that "diversity" really was a reason that influenced making the arsenal not "M4,MP5,SAW,AWM,..", which you saw in most other games anyway. And the beta1 lineup would have matched actionquake not only by "principle" but completely if we had done the same guns ;)
Back then the race was on, on which team could bring the aq2 successor to quake3. reactionquake3, fullmetaljacket, navy seals, ... multiple realism mod teams were on the run, hence releasing beta1 as soon as possible was very important. In fact beta1 had to be patched at the quakecon during its release ;)

As for 2.x well the M4 came in due to popular demand and it just is such iconic weapon, similar as the AK being added later (went for the "newer" version not the old AK47, as design similarites were sufficient). The SR-8 was a recommendation by a team member I worked with in "terror quake2" before UrbanTerror, when I asked him for bolt-action rifles with high calibre (excluding AWM). I guess him being in the army has used it once, although he said it was kinda rare/prototypish.

In beta 2.x most guns were intended as 2 per category. Typically one being "slower, more punch, accuracy" and the other being "fast, lower damage, less long range". The partner of the Beretta, hence became the high calibre and movie-known Desert Eagle. I always vetoed adding a third (.45 Socom/USP whatever) handgun as it would be the obvious choice, but with having two distinct guns per category, there is a real choice to make. The MP5k came as "fast" counterpart to UMP.

At the end of beta 2.x the AK came, although harder to balance in, and also in the meantime the M4 came back after the M4 was replaced by LR300 (same gun cooler looks hehe), just as so many people liked the M4. Which of course made it much harder now to balance the 4 guns in this category. The AK was eventually intended as distinct "per team" weapon. For beta3 there was a "cold war / james bondy" theme planned, with each side having distinct weapon sets matching the old 2 per category, same "values" just different looks (AK being M4, others would follow). However the scope of the intended beta3 changed, with the immense fluxations the team has undergone in the second half of 2.x.

I always wanted a heavy machine gun in the game, hence pushed for the Negev, (again looked for something SAW like). Eventhough I am not so sure anymore if adding that gun into the game really was worth the troubling balancing issues.
Historically the team had two "movements" one wing being more hardcore q3 fast-paced, the other being more into realism/tactic games. 2.x team saw more input from the realism guys (Apoxol and me) hence stamina. And later that tide changed again with 27 and Density being the QuakeWorld guys ;)

There was also a updated PSG model and a Beretta alternative (boht not textured) that didnt make it. Although some more were partly finished, "handcannon" like shotgun as spas counterpart and the P90, the arsenal didnt change after that anymore. The latter I for balance reasons didnt want to add to keep mp5k/ump distinct. Adding a gun in the middle kinda makes choosing too "easy" ;) And MP5k probably would have to shift into middle.
After 2.6 the "gun smiths" in the team had left (except BladeKiller, who textured many of the weapons with Miles), hence no real changes anymore.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942