Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Server system requirements Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Cooki3s! (old) Icon

Posted 01 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hey everyone,

Cooki3s from #hW| here. We're going the dedicated route once again and we need a bit of advice on the server usage.

Our server spec will be:

Intel quadcore Q6600@ 2.4Ghz
4GB DDR2 Ram.
1TB HDD.
100Mbit uplink with 3TB, 10mbit after that.

I suspect we won't have any bandwidth or ram issues. I'm a bit more worried about the CPU though. We would like to run 4 servers, one CTF @16 slots, one TDM @ 14 slots, one TS @ 12 slots and one private server from wars and training @ 20 slots (only intensively used a few times a week and sometimes for testing). The first 3 will have an instance of b3 running on it. A 'loud' instance on the first two (eg. lots of message plugins) and a quiet instance on the TS server (TK warnings/admin commands only). Then ofc there is proftpd for file uploading (usage is negligible) and mysql (3 db's for b3 and db's for 'echelon', the b3 web admin tool) and apache with php for echelon/xlrstats. This will all run on ubuntu 8.04 .

Would the server be enough for these apps?

Thanks,

Cooki3s!

#2 User is offline   Rambetter Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: rambetter

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:58 PM

Yes those specs will be way more than enough for your needs.

I have a similar CPU, only it's 2 cores, not 4. It's a 2.4 GHz. And I have 2 gigs of RAM.

When I have a TDM or CTF server with 24 players connected, the server process uses about 25% of one CPU core. Some maps require more CPU than others; if it's Casa, a 24 player server can eat as much as 30% of one core. If you're talking Icy Jumps 5 or Icy World, the server process will eat more like 40% for 24 players connected.

A 24 slot server running regular maps will consume below 100 MB, so 4 gigs will be good for a handful of servers.

I am currently running 6-7 game servers on my dual core server, and the total number of concurrent players fluctuates between 20 and up to 80 players. The load average on the server as reported by top hardly ever exceeds 1.0 (2.0 would be pretty darn busy for a dual core machine).

So, you'll be absolutely fine. I'd say you could easily run 15 game servers, so long as they are not all full at the same time.

I don't know much about B3.

This post has been edited by rambetter: 01 October 2009 - 11:00 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942