Urban Terror Forums: "GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" XP SP3 ATI 3950 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

"GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" XP SP3 ATI 3950 Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   sux0r-n3wbz (old) Icon

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

"GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem" is the error. I've got an ATI 3850 on a Windows XP SP3 box. I recently replaced my Nvidia FX5200 with the 3850. I loaded the new ATI 9.9 drivers and was gifted with the above error. I removed the 9.9 drivers and installed the 9.6 drivers. Now the screen flashes 1-2 times when I boot up XP, but after the driver loads, everything seems ok. I get about 60-90 FPS in XP and between 40-125 FPS in Ubuntu 9.04. I tried to figure out the range of FPS in Ubuntu issue and I kept coming back to ATI's OpenGL failtasticness. I loaded everything up in XP and it is at least workable. I suppose I'll wait like everyone else for ATI to resolve their OpenGL relationship issues. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to them but I'm posting more to offer my experience. Oh, and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I did read all the FAQs and other search results and all that. I also submitted the ATI feedback form as well. Cheers.

This post has been edited by sux0r-n3wbz: 06 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

#2 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:53 AM

Uh what's the rest of your system? 3850 isn't THAT bad a card; it should be putting out more than 90 fps. Additionally, XP should be lighter than Ubuntu, and Windows drivers are generally more mature (= better FPS). Of course ATI regularly fucks stuff up, as you experienced with 9.9 and OpenGL issues, so maybe that second part's not true.

Can I ask why you would upgrade a socket478/462 system with a "new" graphics card instead of saving a few more dollars and going for a whole new system?
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#3 User is offline   Skadude Icon

• Account: skadude

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Try Omega drivers. Obviously these arent official so do so at your own risk. Some people hate them. But they have been nothing but great for me since my old card blew up and i've had to use an even older one!

ATI 9200se or some shit.

#4 User is offline   PrettyPinkPony Icon

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Delete q3config.cfg

Problem Solved

It's graphics set too high than what your current card can output
Save Us Midget Horses. D':

#5 User is offline   Well Cooked Nade Burgers (old) Icon

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

View PostPrettyPinkPony, on 15 October 2009 - 12:38 PM, said:

Delete q3config.cfg

Problem Solved

It's graphics set too high than what your current card can output

I own a 3850 the card is more then capable of 125 fps ( as long as the rest of your system can keep up)
Amd: Athlon II 250OC @ 3.4Ghz 1.34v
2Gb PC2-6400 @ 5-5-5-15-20-T1 1.8v
ATI: 5750OC @ 840Mhz core 1337Mhz mem ;)
OCZ slientXtream 550WATT psu

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942