Urban Terror Forums: Network Solutions is an evil corporation - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Network Solutions is an evil corporation Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:17 PM

so i finally transferred a domain from them ($36 a years is ridiculous, and I can't stand their adds and 'are you sure to continue without this offer pages)

and now they 'lock it' for a few days.

"[..] If we do not hear from you by March 5th, 2010 8:26:27 A.M. EDT, this transfer will proceed."

how ridiculous is that?

#2 User is offline   Zen Icon

• Account: zen

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

Their excuse is security.
You wouldn't want anyone fraudulently transferring your domain into someone else's ownership, right?

In reality, it is quite obvious that the motivation is to not make it easy for customers to transfer their domains away, because they lose money and they know it.
You'll deal with these types of things to some level with most registrars.

#3 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

zomg lol it's worse than i thought.

that 'if you don't respond' thing wasn't even accurate; you had to actually respond and accept it via a url.

edit: I suspect that I didn't waste (more)time because of that since a blog I found on the web says he waited the whole week without clicking that url (lol, understandably) of 'not respond' and when he did after the 'expiry date' it transferred immediately:

http://209.85.135.13...3&hl=en&ct=clnk

" The confusion came in after the time of no return had passed and the domain transfer had still not completed. So I went to the URL to find that little to my surprise right next to the option to cancel/decline the transfer was a way to accept the transfer. So I went through the steps to confirm the transfer and it completed almost instantly after that and I began to have access to the domain in my [other] account management.

This frustrates me to no end because of the fact that the emails I received from them said nothing to the effect that I needed to visit this URL they sent me to confirm or deny the transfer. They just said go to the URL if I wished to cancel the transfer before the date specified. I really wish I had known before hand that I could have gone to the URL and accepted it and wouldn’t have waited a week for nothing."

exactly.

This post has been edited by Mitsubishi: 03 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

#4 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

I use namecheap It's been great

#5 User is offline   ThatSillyNinja Icon

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

View PostBludshot, on 02 March 2010 - 10:38 PM, said:

I use namecheap It's been great

Me too, be sure to check around the net for free namecheap coupons. Especially those that lower the registration fee!

So Mitsubishi, why did you land on Network Solutions?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:24 AM

View PostThatsillyninja, on 02 March 2010 - 11:34 PM, said:

So Mitsubishi, why did you land on Network Solutions?

As that blog said and I agree, I went there at a time when NetSol was the 'big thing'.

Before its look transformed like the front cover of a fashion magazine.

#7 User is offline   Rick Icon

• Account: rick
  • Main tag: GT-

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 AM

stay away from godaddy, they steal domains:

http://forums.digita...ad.php?t=706452

Another sidenote, kind of related... be careful when searching for domains on those free WHOIS sites. If you search for a name that they like and you don't register it that session, they will go ahead and register it and hold onto it. Had someone who used namecheap to search and when they went back the day later it was taken. It's definitely not proof namecheap does that, but I know for a fact other sites do.

edit: I use enom for everything (domains/ssl/etc) for about 4 years now with no complaints. Only issue I had was setting up one of those EV SSL certificates, but that's not enom's fault... just the type of certificate it was. Complete pain in the ass (had to get letters from lawyers, prove all sorts of stuff with documents, etc).

This post has been edited by Rick: 03 March 2010 - 05:00 AM

#8 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:40 AM

lol.

latest gem by netsol,

right after clicking their 'transfer me off this hellhole' urls:

from Network Solutions
to me
subject Renewal Notice

"lol, isn't that in ages?"

Jan 26, 2011

"yes it is"

"nice try".

#9 User is offline   BludShoT Icon

• Account: bludshot
  • Main tag: [T]

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Yeah Rick, I pretty much assume that that goes on, possibly even with namecheap. I think what they and other companies do is keep a log of all the domains people look to buy, and then notice which ones are more popular (or even some nerdy guy at the company just snoops at them himself and if he sees any cool ones he buys them).

Not a problem for me because before using a lookup I usually just try to browse to the sites first. Then if I look it up, if it's good and I want it and its available, I buy it immediately.

#10 User is offline   afkatm Icon

• Account: afkatm

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

View PostBludshot, on 03 March 2010 - 06:17 AM, said:

Not a problem for me because before using a lookup I usually just try to browse to the sites first. Then if I look it up, if it's good and I want it and its available, I buy it immediately.

That's the way to go, what really sucks is if you try and snap up an expiring domain name. I found a domain name I wanted not to long ago that was in the process of being released back out into the wild. So I read up on capturing expired domains and I learned about several services that offer the ability to capture a domain.

SnapNames ended up coming up in my search and then I found this article which is about a VP at a company that handles expired domain auctions bidding on and winning some auctions himself.

I decided to stay away from any domain grabbing services and ended up grabbing the domain without a problem once it expired.

I think it has more to do with people at a company than the company itself, but still sure it goes on just probably a little bit more regulated than you would think because that is bad PR that could seriously hurt a company.

Also, thanks for linking to my blog Post, found this post through traffic sources and thought that I would just toss in something, hope it's not a big deal.

This post has been edited by Afkatm: 05 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942