Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Suggestion: Punkbuster Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   GrawCube Icon

• Account: grawcube

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Okay, so I know UrT already has a PunkBuster, but not many servers have it. Could it be possible to somehow make it a must to have PunkBuster? That may sound harsh, but there are waay too many hackers out there (See my demos: http://sites.google..../urtdemoa/demos). What about a patch for the hacks out there right now like Mombot, or is this coming in the new version of UrT?

#2 User is offline   Kendle Icon

•   verified user   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: kendle

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:54 PM

The new version, 4.2, will have an anti-cheat. Punkbuster only works with UrT running on retail Quake3, but most people run it on ioUrT, the ioQuake3 based engine.

#3 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:14 PM

Doubt PB even still updates to detect cheats like mombot. So it's pretty pointless to ask to support an AC when that AC doesn't update their 'definition' files to detect new cheats for this game. And as you should know, EB isn't doing it for charity.

#4 User is offline   ado Icon

• Account: ado

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

View PostNexu, on 22 July 2010 - 01:14 PM, said:

Doubt PB even still updates to detect cheats like mombot. So it's pretty pointless to ask to support an AC when that AC doesn't update their 'definition' files to detect new cheats for this game. And as you should know, EB isn't doing it for charity.

What? PB works fine for for COD: 4. I agree, I doubt it would be a free service, but I also doubt it's no longer being updated.

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

Listen to Kendle. They.are.making.an.anticheat. The same people that make this game.

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 22 July 2010 - 05:26 PM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:47 PM

View Postado, on 22 July 2010 - 05:22 PM, said:

What? PB works fine for for COD: 4. I agree, I doubt it would be a free service, but I also doubt it's no longer being updated.

I never said PB doesn't update AT ALL anymore for all the games they supports. I did specifically said: "this game". That obviously means updates for Q3A; which was previously required to play UrT before ioq3(and hence ioUrT) came to be.

Wikipedia:
old (sep '09) -

PunkBuster usually searches for known cheat program signatures as opposed to relying on a more heuristic approach. On March 23, 2008, hackers published and implemented a proof of concept exploit of PunkBuster's indiscriminate memory scanning. Because PunkBuster scans all of a machine's virtual memory, malicious users were able to cause mass false positives by transmitting text fragments from known cheat programs onto a high population IRC channel. When PunkBuster detected the text within user's IRC client text buffers, the users were banned.[3] On March 25, 2008, Even Balance confirmed the existence of this exploit, and advised users not to run any other programs at the same time as PunkBuster protected games.[3] However, this advice was insufficient, as crackers started embedding binary strings in their avatar pictures and signatures on legitimate forums, causing people who browsed the forums to be kicked, even after the browser was closed.[citation needed]

current -

Real-time scanning of memory, a feature also prominent in many spyware programs, by placing a PunkBuster Client on players' computers searching for known hacks/cheats using a built-in database.

Signatures based means they have to update their database to recognize it. And consider their last update (server or client) for Q3A was 4 feb 2008: http://www.evenbalan...support-q3.php. I highly doubt they also updated cheats that was specifically targeted at ioUrbanTerror.exe.

#7 User is offline   ado Icon

• Account: ado

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

View Postmitsubishi, on 22 July 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

Listen to Kendle. They.are.making.an.anticheat. The same people that make this game.

It's still okay to brainstorm lol. Better to have Plan B.

And I see, Nexu. I didn't know realize cheats were game-specific; I thought once PB gets updated, its an update for all games.

This post has been edited by ado: 22 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

#8 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

View Postado, on 22 July 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

And I see, Nexu. I didn't know realize cheats were game-specific

Most mainstream anti-cheat (VAC, PB and UAC2) are signatures detection based, as most cheats targets a specific binary and hook itself to a specific memory address of the process.

View Postado, on 22 July 2010 - 06:25 PM, said:

I thought once PB gets updated, its an update for all games.

An AC that can work heuristically and can actually detect all the cheats the signatures based AC can with a very low percentage false-positives would be gold.

#9 User is offline   ValkoVer Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: valkover

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:06 PM

Punkbuster is my worst gaming nightmare :mad: (errors)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942