ut4_oilrig [alpha2] Rate Topic: -----

very early version, still WIP

#1 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

• Account: lynxiii
  • Main tag: C.M.M.

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Hi everyone

may I introduce you to: ut4_oilrig

This is my first attempt at map making ...ever! So please be gentle and give me tips and tricks and cookies :biggrin:

It is a very early version as you will see instantly. It has only placeholder textures and the rooms are all empty.
I decided to "go public" so soon, because I'm new to mapping and still need a lot of help. And the most important thing in my eyes is the layout of the map. I'm still working on that and I want to get this done before I start on the looks of the map.

roadmap:
- finalize layout
- mittering
- add proper textures and shaders
- fill rooms with stuff (furniture, etc)
- do the hinting magic
- add bot support
- make it UrtHD ready

Background/story:

The map started as an remake of the original Rainbow Six multiplayer map 'Oil rig' and is located, you guessed it, on an offshore oil rig. But the original layout of the map isn't very ...Urban terror friendly, and is very small, too. So I modified the layout heavily and added a lot new parts.

In the Rainbow Six singleplayer mission "Angel Wire" the oil rig is run by the (fictional) oil company PetroMech, but since I changed so much I didn't feel committed to stick to this (and hardly any Rainbow Six player will remember that anyways). So since I am working more on a homage rather than a remake, I decided to let the oil rig be run by the evil Horizon company, which was behind all the terror plots in Rainbow Six (to ultimately kill all humans with a deadly virus, except a few chosen ones).

Download:ut4_oilrig_alpha2
(this map requires the 4.1.1 patch, otherwise there will be missing textures!)
(No bot support yet and no CTF mode!)

zoomed out view of the oilrig (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

zoomed out view of the "backside" of the oilrig (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

top down view of the oilrig (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

deck view (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

deck view opposite (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

view of the drill tower (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

inside the drill tower (alpha2):
(full size)
Spoiler

This post has been edited by LynXIII: 23 March 2011 - 08:23 AM

#2 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Will try it later. If it's anything like the original map it should be great.

#3 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Some pics would be great! ;)

#4 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:33 PM

View Postxandaxs, on 02 February 2011 - 10:14 PM, said:

Some pics would be great! ;)

done!

#5 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

Nice and dark, knifing map heheh yay :)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   xandaxs Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: xandaxs
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:35 PM

I've missing textures everywhere!

#7 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 03 February 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hey the map looks promising :P
i just think that as u said its an homeage i think u should add roof acces on the oilrig and an helicopter platform cause all oilrigs should have an helicopter platform :D!!! and meybe add an helicopter and the swat can start there (i know there is other oilrig maps having it like that(might be Cs or it was Tactical ops :P but it was fun map :D) but still :P)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#8 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:45 PM

View Postxandaxs, on 03 February 2011 - 06:35 PM, said:

I've missing textures everywhere!

Same here. When you are set to release a map, pack it into a .pk3 and test it in an install of UrT that does not have any other 3rd party maps. This is to test for dependencies and identify missing assets.

#9 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 03 February 2011 - 11:27 PM

View PostJustMe..., on 03 February 2011 - 07:20 PM, said:

Hey the map looks promising :P
i just think that as u said its an homeage i think u should add roof acces on the oilrig and an helicopter platform cause all oilrigs should have an helicopter platform :D!!! and meybe add an helicopter and the swat can start there (i know there is other oilrig maps having it like that(might be Cs or it was Tactical ops :P but it was fun map :D) but still :P)

There will be a heli pad, I have already added the sound, you can hear the heli at the southern most part :smile:
And its the starting place for team blue, aka SWAT, aka Team Rainbow :biggrin:
Reds (Horizon) will start at an submarine, at least thats what I'm planning to do.

View Postmindriot, on 03 February 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

Same here. When you are set to release a map, pack it into a .pk3 and test it in an install of UrT that does not have any other 3rd party maps. This is to test for dependencies and identify missing assets.

Ok, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I've tested it myself and some friends tested it, too, before I released it. Maybe its because of the 4.1.1 patch? I cannot reproduce the missing texture thing, even with a fresh install of urt (4.1.1). Thanks for your feedback though, I'll look into it asap!

#10 User is offline   LynXIII Icon

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

I have put together a .pk3 with all the textures in it that I used. See first post for download link (under the regular download link). Hope it helps.

Now to some noobish questions! :rolleyes: I don't know if this is the right place for them, but I don't want to start a new topic in the design forum.

I need some help with the light emitting shaders. I have used this tutorial: http://www.richdiesa...2/sh365lsn2.htm
And this $whiteimage thing doesn't seem to work (it's not generating a white image...), although I did everything exact as in the tutorial. Also the glowing won't work.

And I have the problem that one can see muzzle flash and blast flashs through walls on my map. Also the footsteps can be heard very far, even if the players are above each other (on different levels). I read the light leak tutorial by Delirium (http://gotdelirium.c...?title=Lighting), is this the problem here? Do I need to have "air" between all walls and even between the floors and ceilings?
like here:
Spoiler

This post has been edited by LynXIII: 10 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942