Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:07 AM

To:Urban Terror community
Map: Simpsons Rebuild ut4_simpsons_b5
Designed By: Maggu, for Quake III
Remade/Rebuilt By: SleepingGuy, for Urban Terror
Game Types: CTF, Bomb, CAH
Download: Simpsons_b5 Download

The Story,
After finding Simpsons for Quake III realizing it was playable in Urban Terror, I sought out the author in hopes of persuading him to rebuild the map to support Urban Terror's game types. A big request that landed in the hands of a trusting mapper. Maggu the original author was unable to rebuild the map for Urban Terror but was willing to provide me with the .map, given some respectable terms. With the .map I needed to find a trusted mapper that had the time and knowledge to pull off such a task. SleepingGuy was just the man for the job. SleepingGuy has been a tremendous help to the community building great maps such as armory, Island, along with a few re-complies :cough:.

SleepingGuy, fought hundreds of conflicts porting Simpsons into Urban Terror requiring him to rebuild most the map. A task that took roughly over a year, trying to perfect FPS, playability, spawn-Bomb-CAH-CTF locations. You will not only find enhanced playability but some neat added features. Due to the graphical intensity, you will notice some FPS loss but I assure you ever measure was put in place to minimize this. Also, non symmetrical map require some compromises when considering placements of Spawns-Flags-Bombs. In the end I think you will find SleepingGuy did a fantastic job rebuilding Simpsons for Urban Terror and we hope you enjoy it.

~ I hope the community enjoys the map and pass's a thanks to Maggu and SleepingGuy for the creative effort.
Posted Image

Feel Free to join us on our server or team speak
Ts3 - IP: fsk405.com
Web Site: www.fsk405.com

This post has been edited by DankRider: 26 May 2011 - 06:20 AM

#2 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:52 AM

Well the map definitely looks great details wise.
However IMO the lighting still needs some works, it looks a bit bland, especially in the Simpsons house and Moe's.
Shadows are a bit too bright and there's a few places where you can see shadow "leaks", like on the stairs in front of the police station.
Shadows are also too blurry and you can still see jaggy edges.

Skybox is pretty clean, no clouds on it. So it creates a bit high contrast when compared to rather detailed surrounding. Few hand drawn clouds moving over it would definitely balance that part.

I'm all for pushing the tris count higher than 30k cause i do think maps should be more oriented towards computers that aren't 5+ years old.
But 70k in tris and 3500 in surfaces is a bit too much for UrT 4.1.1

The map is slightly off scale, not much but enough to make some elements stand out too much.

I suggest fixing the light so the shadows define shape of the map a bit better, taking advantage of the bump mapping feature (not bump mapping everything but rather replacing some details with bumpmaps to reduce the tris and surface count) and releasing the map for UrT HD that can handle this kind of load far better than UrT 4.1

I actually love this map, the amount of details is stunning, especially in Bart's room.
Gorgeous models, nice texturing, i felt like I'm Springfield.

#3 User is offline   YAY5637 Icon

• Account: yay5637
  • Main tag: <PWC>

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:08 PM

Really a great job!
I often play(-ed) on the quakeversion and im happy seeing an improved urt version.
The old feeling of the map is still there and the new areas fit and dont seem to disturb it.
I like the pictures, espeacially the police officer xD

I agree with rayne about the lightning, for me the whole outside of the map is much too bright,
party my settings fault maybe.

Movement wise some things are worse than before for me.
The Police station has too many sharp edges, it was clipped before and very usefull for jumping.
The hedge at the pool is too high, grabbing while standing in front of it fails mostly and one walljump at the house isnt capable to get you standing on it like it was before.
The bouncer thing at the schoolbus is very dangerous, because its not flat. You can easily lemming there, but that was maybe intended...

I love this map ;)
Great job Maggu and SleepingGuy

#4 User is offline   DankRider Icon

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:21 PM

Thanks for the constructive criticism..

touching on a few comments;
As for the Lighting, This was a struggle - the more the lighting was improved the more strain it put on FPS.

The hedge was intentionally made a bit taller. When the hedge was shorter folks would just run the middle when capping the flag. A taller hedge forces a bit more movement.

The plunger jump was implemented to off set the diving board advantage.

Sky Box, the moving clouds increased FPS lag.

Off Scale, this was a challenge as all the doors needed to be re-sized this lead to the some buildings being slightly stretched.

This is a beta and the intention is to take some constructive feedback, crate a release candidate, then gear up for HD UrT.

Please note: As for Spawn/Flag/Bomb locations they are up for debate, but those conversations would take place on TS3.

Anyway hope all enjoy the map, thanks for the comments.

#5 User is offline   3spades Icon

•   verified donor   
    Support Guy
  • Account: 3spades

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:56 AM

Works fine for me. I put this in my simpson server in place of simpsons_q3. Thanks for the hard work, It's lovely!
urt.voxel.net :: Ruining your URT experience [2] weapons limited servers at a time.
Kevlar in CTF is like sex with a condom. Sure you get the general feel of things, but everyone would enjoy the game without it.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   creatiu Icon

• Account: creatiu

Posted 29 May 2011 - 04:44 PM

Great work! I am adding this map to my public server :)

#7 User is offline   creatiu Icon

• Account: creatiu

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:54 PM

If anyone wants to play this map check out Barcelona Terror - Public! http://urtbcn.com

#8 User is offline   Dark-knight Icon

• Account: darkknight

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

just want to take this moment out of my day to say how awesome SleepingGuy is. he is one of the best mappers i know, constantly innovating the way the maps work. SleepingGuy was the first mapper to ever incorporate weapons that you could pick up into the gameplay of a map. he has been consistently helping people and fixing broken maps throughout the mapping community. so i would just like to thank him for all the hard work he has done for urban terror. he is the perfect example of what an honest person is, not only is he a family man but he is a good friend. I truly wish more people could be like him.

~sincerely Dark-knight

This post has been edited by Dark-knight: 04 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 09 September 2015 - 08:50 PM, said:

there are no flaws in Urban Terror, only features.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942