•   former FS member   
  • Account: decoy
  • Main tag: .:|

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

[text]news 321[/text]

#2 User is offline   flyinghigh Icon

• Account: flyinghigh

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:34 PM

I'm not a mapper, but i'll say that the map is beautiful so far!

#3 User is offline   Dougy Icon

• Account: dougy

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

View PostDecoy, on 10 August 2011 - 09:45 PM, said:

[text]news 321[/text]

1) This is a beautiful map, Don't wreck the windows please. ;)

2) I do agree with directional lighting, If it is lit up it is more inviting yet if it was dull, dark and dingy it is less inviting.

3) Can't wait for the next video, was very informative and i have learnt a lot from this.

#4 User is offline   SilverFoxZ Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: silverfoxz

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

So the playermodel will have the same brightness no matter where the playermodel is or will shadows and lights affect the playermodel?
I realy like the map it has a great atmosphere! :laugh:
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

The hallway looks very nice. But on the outside there are few things i don't understand.

Those arches are all well lit, it's visible that the arch itself is illuminated and it's surrounded by a shadow.
But where is that kind of light coming from. There is no light source in the map itself.
I can see several shadows clashing and mixing, but again there is no real light source that would cause them.

And what about shadows, some of those light entities have quite low value. Wont that make shadows too bland?

What about night maps where you have street lights. Should we let street lights do their job and then paint in the light where needed?

What about day time maps where the skybox is the main light source. With light painting you get a noticeable stadium lights effect that wont match the skybox.

I'm right now working on a night time map and of course I'm using street lights, light that comes from windows in combination with blue skybox to light things up and define shape.
Should i abandon this type of lighting or combine the 2 or just stick with what i started with.

I am bump mapping it and from what i saw, yes the specular does needs a helping hand on certain places.

This post has been edited by Rayne: 10 August 2011 - 11:26 PM

#7 User is offline   theRipper Icon

• Account: theripper
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

hallways do look very nice. with the shadows coming down from the ceiling and in the corners.

and all of rayne's points are valid :)

will they be fullbright players... does the game engine allow for dynamic lighting/shadows on the player?
if so, id be willing to wait even longer for urt just to have that added.

whats the point of all this pretty/fancy lighting if it doesnt affect your player visibility and appearance?
A.K.A. [idgaf.]Face(Clan Leader)

#9 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

I think the key word here is natural.
As natural lighting as possible. From what i could tell so far, how spec maps look like depends a lot from which direction the light is coming from.
And they react to very low light values so often you can see reflections in pitch black places.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942