Urban Terror Forums: mac bug - could not create assets for the folder q3ut4 - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

mac bug - could not create assets for the folder q3ut4 Rate Topic: -----

can't even play the game.

#11 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 11 December 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostReflux, on 11 December 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Maybe you should get busy writing the documentation for this free game, since you seem to have the time to write so many complaints. See, the general consensus is that Mac users need others to tell them how to use their all to user-friendly Mac in the first place. Do you really need your hand held that much? If not, then hop out of the bitch and moan camp and into the contribute to the community camp.

It's no special gift to bitch. Anybody can do that.

-Me

Cheers

#12 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

I admit I complain too much. :laugh:

I'm not asking for hand-holding. I already made it work before I found this thread. It apparently breaks when you follow the instructions provided by FS: put the game/updater anywhere.

I do try to contribute where I can, though I'm not a programmer. I do try to "write documentation" where I can, but the manual isn't a wiki. I do try to help people when I have some idea of what's happening and how to fix it. I would happily contribute to a revised manual, but how? As far as I know, the only way I can contribute is here, on the forums, and only after things break and someone asks for help.

so… something is broken, and here I am. :/

I don't think it's wrong to complain that FS basically tells you to break the updater on OS X by putting it anywhere you want. …and then there's a somewhat snarky reply here explaining that us Mac users are just too dumb to get it.
|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

#13 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Postiynque, on 11 December 2013 - 10:08 PM, said:

I admit I complain too much. :laugh:

I'm not asking for hand-holding. I already made it work before I found this thread. It apparently breaks when you follow the instructions provided by FS: put the game/updater anywhere.

I do try to contribute where I can, though I'm not a programmer. I do try to "write documentation" where I can, but the manual isn't a wiki. I do try to help people when I have some idea of what's happening and how to fix it. I would happily contribute to a revised manual, but how? As far as I know, the only way I can contribute is here, on the forums, and only after things break and someone asks for help.

so… something is broken, and here I am. :/

I don't think it's wrong to complain that FS basically tells you to break the updater on OS X by putting it anywhere you want. …and then there's a somewhat snarky reply here explaining that us Mac users are just too dumb to get it.

You know, we are humans, working for free on a free game so it may happen that we commit mistakes. Good approach is: let's say you find something in the manual which is not correct; it's something written probably in the past which doesn't applies anymore. Well, since, as you said, you solved already this problem you could have just rewrote that piece of the manual (copy&paste + change wrong info) and sent an email to us with the correct text (takes 10 minutes and will save us quite some time). Personally I do prefer to fix bugs instead of changing sentences in the manual? Or if you guys prefer I can put back all the bugs we solved but give you a really awsome manual! Sorry I didn't meant to be a troll, but this forum is plenty of complaints: ppl just ask ask ask without having realized that everyone (in a different way) can contribute to this project and so also they can spend 5 minutes doing something for the game they play.

Just as a little example, in this update I fixed Skeetshoot reloaders: I didn't fixes those reloaders by myself. I have been helped by JohnnyEnglish who sat on IRC with me explaining me in details which was the problem, giving me a map (ok he's a mapper but still) to test the bugfix. He's not a FS member, he's not in QA team, but still he managed to find 30 minutes to explain me in details what's the problem. He could have just said FIX THEM (like everyone else) and they would have been still broken.

My 2 cents.

#14 User is offline   garcassgrinder Icon

Posted 12 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Hu... what a bad day...

#15 User is offline   Olius Icon

• Account: olius

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:11 AM

Maybe you should get busy writing the documentation for this free game, since you seem to have the time to write so many complaints. See, the general consensus is that Mac users need others to tell them how to use their all to user-friendly Mac in the first place. Do you really need your hand held that much? If not, then hop out of the bitch and moan camp and into the contribute to the community camp.

-Me

Even you can.
BOOM
HEADSHOT

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:58 AM

just so you know iynque you don't complain too much since you don't complain at all but simply are reporting bugs/flaws in the bug report section ..

i think it speaks volumes that altering the manual is considered as a proper fix here...
if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#17 User is offline   hazelle Icon

• Account: hazelle

Posted 08 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

View Postiynque, on 10 December 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Is this caveat buried in a read me somewhere? I don't recall ever seeing this explained anywhere, least of all during download/install where it would be expected.

Apparently the special instructions are not only missing, they are superseded by instructions that make explicit there are no special instructions: Just put it "where you want." :/

It seems like since almost all Mac users will put almost all apps in the /Applications/ folder almost all the time, it should be made clear that you are breaking the standard. You seem a bit annoyed with the people who just don't get it, so why not nip the problem in the bud? Perhaps the updater should give instructions as to where it must be, instead of failing with a mysterious error that leads users to come here and post.

…and for anyone who might be confused, there is no /home/<your-nickname-here> on a standard install of OS X. It should be /Users/<short user name>/. Just in case anyone comes along and then can't find their /home/username/ folder, because you know someone is going to go looking for it. :cool:

ANYWAY…

I'm curious why the updater would work the first time, and then a second time, and only just now break with this update? I've only ever had it in my /Applications/ folder, and it worked twice. This time it didn't. This is the first update I've done and gotten this error about "could not create assets folder."

Thank you!!!

This post has been edited by hazelle: 08 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

#18 User is offline   HongKongFuey Icon

Posted 08 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

It seems to me there is a bit of Mac hating going on up above , I agree that some instructions are written matter
of fact tone yet when we implement them they simply DO NOT WORK . There are complaints dating back for YEARS about the Mac issue and very little explained to non programmer types .Prior Urt programs ran a certain way when downloaded so why would we think we had to do any thing different . The download instructions are almost useless and if one does ask a question as above he is served a huge glass of HATERAIDE . I too will try and get my mac to accept this new Gypsie tale that was spun to see if I too can return to playing a game I truly enjoy.
I guess if you cant kill us on the battle field its better to not let us install our MACs ...

#19 User is offline   iynque Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: iynque
  • Main tag:

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostFenix, on 11 December 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

-Me

Cheers

So… I wrote some documentation for this free game. Another user posted with the same issue today. Any chance the download page could be updated with some special instructions for Mac users? :rolleyes:
|FA|iynque 😈 Fallin-Angels

#20 Guest_apmarek

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:12 PM

guys-

don't use the downloader PLZ! download the zip file and you can play your heart out. I did this on os x ML, Mavericks and Yosemite. let me know if it works for you!

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942