Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

mouse accel in osx Rate Topic: -----

want that windows feeling?

#1 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

hello guys and grrls,

a while ago i started a thread about apple's awkward mouse behavior .. and found this blog: http://d43.me/blog/1...use-annoyances/

so those guys released their first beta version.. and judging from the feedback on their website this could be IT ... hurray ..

you need to run lion or later to be able to use this fix ... since i am on snow leopard i wasn't able to give it a try... but hopefully soon will be able to do so ..

so long

karl

p.s. since i forgot the download link http://smoothmouse.com/

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 04 January 2013 - 02:38 AM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#2 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

so . got mountain lion got the plugin ... and i have to tell you .. this is hot shit right there :) .. disable mouse accel in your config and run this thing (make sure to activate it after you have installed it ; ) ... can't do some of my jumps right now but i guess that's just a matter of time..

#3 User is offline   l3mming Icon

• Account: l3mming

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

Well, this mouse lag is partly because mac os x seems to sync a lot of stuff to the update of its display which is most likely 60 Hz.
This means you get 1000/60 which is about 17ms of delay just when clicking.

There is also a prefpane app called secrets in which you can disable this 'annoying feature' called Beam Sync. (disable it and then reboot I think).

Furthermore you can set the disableosx mouse accel cvar in ioUrban terror (I looked it up in the source code and it's legit).

What I did is use USB Overdrive and disabled its acceleration option, but set the speed of the mouse cursor in the standard osx prefpane to minimum and the usb overdrive speed to max. (Using any of my mice I seriously need to loooower the sens in-game since they both top 5600 dpi). This seems to get me responses a lot closer to what I was used to back in the day using linux' low-level DGA mouse input which just mapped any pixel the mouse moved to a pixel on screen for perfect 1:1 control.

I will give this smoothmouse a try however :)
edit: looks like I'm shit out of luck since I'm still running snow leopard so it won't work

This post has been edited by l3mming: 07 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

#4 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

View Postl3mming, on 07 January 2013 - 08:58 PM, said:

I will give this smoothmouse a try however :)
edit: looks like I'm shit out of luck since I'm still running snow leopard so it won't work

ya .. that's the actual downside to this thing .. i had to update myself but i believe it was worth it ...

i was fooling around with steermouse and conrtollermate myself .. used the ingame diablemacosxmouseaccel as well but i can tell you i have never ever gotten close to what this smoothmouse thingy is able to do ...

you seem to know a lot more about the hardware side of things but from what i read on this very internet of mine, it's next to impossible to kill off osx's mouse accel ...

maybe wait for some other osx user to give it a shot before spending money on mountain lion though ... i don't want you to be disappointed .. : )

#5 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

here's a quick how-to:

1. you need to run lion or mountain lion
2. download the plugin > http://smoothmouse.n...rsion-download/
3. get rid of all other mouse software like controllermate or steermouse
4. install the thingy
5. open preferences > smoothmouse panel > mouse > enable for mice AND set accelaration curve to windows
6. open your q3config.cfg (hd/user/library/application support/quake/q3ut4/q3config.cfg; if your library folder is hidden > open terminal > type chflags nohidden ~/Library > press enter > folder is visable now)
7. look for this line > seta in_disablemacosxmouseaccel "0" > set it to seta in_disablemacosxmouseaccel "1"
8. start urt, you might have to change your sensitivity ...
9. make'em cry

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

new version is out: 1.0.4

http://smoothmouse.n...-release-notes/

Release notes:
[CHANGED] Major performance enhancements.
[CHANGED] Preference pane now remembers the last used tab.
[CHANGED] Package signed for Gatekeeper.
[CHANGED] Installer doesn't complain about ControllerMate anymore.
[CHANGED] Preference pane can now display version numbers of all components.
[FIXED] Multiple button presses are now handled properly.
(#22, #23. Thanks to CeeScott, scarlac, ctqwa).
[FIXED] No longer stops working when switching users.
(#24. Thanks to Ontopic).

#7 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

and yet another release:

http://smoothmouse.n...-release-notes/

ew OS X acceleration mode.
Changed Improved performance under heavy GPU stress (tested with FurMark).
Changed Added support for 32-bit mode in OS X 10.7 (Lion). (Thanks edemicco).
Changed Better wording for acceleration settings. (Thanks scarlac).
Fixed Games can now capture the mouse pointer. Hot corners no longer triggered in games. (#12. Thanks Rodrigo Rocha).
Fixed Opening (or switching between) heavy applications no longer affects pointer display.
Fixed Fixed problem when mouse pointer would move too fast in some applications. (Thanks beep).
Fixed Changing double-click speed in System Preferences → Mouse no longer requires restarting SmoothMouse.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942