Urban Terror Forums: Request to make the 4.1 subforum available again - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Request to make the 4.1 subforum available again Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:30 AM

I assume the reason why the 4.1 forum is gone is the same as the stated reason behind hiding the HD forum — keeping people from posting there (which should result in, I dunno, everybody rushing to 4.2?).

However, forums aren’t just things people write in — removing the 4.1 forum effectively destroyed a wealth of information, much of it also applicable to 4.2. For a limited time (until their spider crawls by again and deletes the nonexistent pages), you can access many of these threads via the Google cache, and some (but just some) of them have been archived by the Wayback Machine; other than that, a very large percentage of the community knowledge, contributed by volunteers solving the very real issues encountered by players, is gone.

Please lock the forums if you have to, but leave the contents accessible.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#2 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 06 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

Looks like they're doing as I suggested (either as a direct result, or mere coincidence) and going the EA route: pull support for past products to encourage adoption of new and "improved" versions. It's a good idea, but unfortunately the cart has been put before the poorly animated horses. :<

or this is action without reason, another popular route for game developers to take.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#3 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostJRandomNoob, on 06 May 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

I assume the reason why the 4.1 forum is gone is the same as the stated reason behind hiding the HD forum — keeping people from posting there (which should result in, I dunno, everybody rushing to 4.2?).

However, forums aren’t just things people write in — removing the 4.1 forum effectively destroyed a wealth of information, much of it also applicable to 4.2. For a limited time (until their spider crawls by again and deletes the nonexistent pages), you can access many of these threads via the Google cache, and some (but just some) of them have been archived by the Wayback Machine; other than that, a very large percentage of the community knowledge, contributed by volunteers solving the very real issues encountered by players, is gone.

Please lock the forums if you have to, but leave the contents accessible.

^ this. As I haven't even been around a full two years yet, I still look many things up in that forum and as he said, most of it is still applicable to 4.2. Please bring it back.

#4 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postdon, on 06 May 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Looks like they're doing as I suggested (either as a direct result, or mere coincidence) and going the EA route: pull support for past products to encourage adoption of new and "improved" versions. It's a good idea, but unfortunately the cart has been put before the poorly animated horses. :<

or this is action without reason, another popular route for game developers to take.

Yeah only problem with that is that 4.1 is more popular with players than 4.2. This development team has done a fine job of dividing the community and discarding half of it.

#5 User is offline   wraith Icon

• Account: wraith

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

agree 4.1 is still very much relevant.. you hide that, yet there's 4.0, still smacking us right in the face.. also so many times i wanted to check something out in the HD forums.. why hide them? just show them, lock them if you must, and be done with it..

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Divinity Icon

• Account: divinity
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:57 AM

Random guess is that they don't have a "lock entire section" button and maybe they're low jacking it on the backend via manual SQL statement or looking for some other hack instead of trying to lock one thread at a time.

#7 User is offline   zietsh Icon

• Account: zietsh
  • Main tag: [dswp]

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:27 AM

I understand the motivation to forbid further activity in the 4.1 forums, but making them inaccessible seems wrong. It is totally O.K. to "steer" players to 4.2 but this basically forces 4.1 players away into smaller communities.

I myself am one that only accessed knowledge and never contributed here in the 4.1 forum so very selfishly it effects me.

This post has been edited by zietsh: 07 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

#10 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:03 PM

RaideR, dear, what else should one assume when seeing a whole forum wiped out? This already has happened once, in the recent past…

I do hope you get well soon. *holds down the Q key*
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942