• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Suggestion] Logic entities Rate Topic: -----

Logic programming used to be somewhat possible

#1 User is offline   Alcoholic Icon

• Account: alcoholic
  • Main tag:

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

Take your seats because I might make this a tad bit too long, and not straight to the point.

I have recently started making a jumpmap, and wanting to add something unusual, thought up a very simple puzzle. I created a testmap, and the puzzle works, but it is lacking. There are several problems, my biggest one being that I can't imagine a way to properly reset the puzzle. And that'd be good to have on a public server with many people (it's not like I expect my crappy maps to be played by many people, but who knows).
But this would probs belong in Map / Funstuff Design, so...

I remember there being maps for Quake 3 with mechanisms using some kind of logic programming. I did some digging, but the entities that could be used for pseudo-logic gates unfortunately don't function the same in UrT or don't even exist in it.
(For those who mapped for Q3, i'm talking about doors opening when damaged, and shooter entities. I suggest you read this article. It might not be possible to do the same in UrT, the same way, but it might just blow your mind. Even if you did not map for Q3.)

I came to the conclusion that what I'd want to accomplish would require some new entities (might be wrong though, i can't into mapping).
Here's what I imagined:

logic_boolean logic_latch:
Toggles between an output value of 0 and 1, when triggered by a button or trigger_multiple or anything like that. Its output could be connected to the other entity I thought up, in a similiar manner to target and targetname. Value at spawn could be set by mapper.

logic_IF:
It would work similiarly to a target_relay, except it'd have an extra input from a logic_latch. It would still have a targetname and a target.
When triggered, while its latch input is 1, it'd go on and fire its target. If input was 0, it would do nothing.

And for more complex puzzles, maybe a

logic_NOT:
One input and one output for booleans. Input 1, output 0 and the other way around.

With these three, it would be possible to construct stuff like AND, XOR, NOR, etc. gates. For an example, I also took the time to sketch a diagram for a door, that would require two buttons pressed in any order, for it to open: It's fairly large a pic, so I'm just gonna link to it.

My shitty jumpmap would not be the only place where these entities could come in handy, I think. I know of at least two jumpmaps trying to innovate, so others probably had the idea before me. Hell, if it hadn't been for jump mode becoming officially supported, I wouldn't even bother posting this.
I also read somewhere that assault mode is on the list as well (maybe that was about UrT HD, though). Logic entities would certainly make mapping for that much easier. (Powering up generators before opening doors, anybody?)

PS: Can upload that puzzle thing if anyone wants to see.

PPS: i was also thinking about a flamethrower! it would be very nice!

This post has been edited by Alcoholic: 05 August 2013 - 10:13 AM

#2 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

We need advanced puzzle maps!! yeye
Urtjumpers has only one pure puzzle map, there are no more:
Biduda by Jo3!
http://www.urtjumper...pic.php?id=1661
http://www.urtjumper.../map.php?id=493

Maybe he did some things you ask for, idk, im no mapper, you can play his map.

Good luck!

#3 User is offline   b1naryth1ef Icon

• Account: b1naryth1ef

Posted 04 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

I really like this idea, but I have absolutely no clue about the internals of the entities in maps. I'll look into it regardless.
I break stuff and call it a feature

#4 User is offline   b1naryth1ef Icon

• Account: b1naryth1ef

Posted 04 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

As I'm looking into this, one really helpful thing is a map with some test entities so i can mess with it. Could someone quickly build up a test map with some logic in it? Use the following entities:

logic_latch (your version of logic_boolean, when used it switches its state between true/false)
logic_if (same as the if in the diagram)

There is already target_delay in the engine, and AFAIK it should work.
I break stuff and call it a feature

#5 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:25 PM

Does this mean we can make jumpmaps with PSG targets to open doors?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 04 August 2013 - 09:32 PM

We already can nihilist, but the idea is indeed that, having the ability to do more of that stuff ;)

B1nary if you manage to make only one of Alco's points I won't hate you anymore :D

#7 User is offline   Alcoholic Icon

• Account: alcoholic
  • Main tag:

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

Latch! That's the word I could not remember!
Here's a .zip with a testmap. It's the same two buttons-one door mechanism I posted a diagram of, using the same stupid naming convention, but replacing boolean with latch everywhere (latch1/2_out).

View PostBiddle, on 04 August 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

We already can nihilist, but the idea is indeed that, having the ability to do more of that stuff ;)

B1nary if you manage to make only one of Alco's points I won't hate you anymore :D

We already can indeed. With logic stuff however, you could say, hide a button on every jump, shooting all of which would open a single door in the end room, with a complex puzzle inside, that if you don't solve in 15 seconds, you are dropped into lava while the puzzle resets and prints "Haha, loser!" on your screen then proceeds to rape your wife, kidnap your daughter and burn down your barn, and much more!

This post has been edited by Alcoholic: 05 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

#8 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:12 AM

I totally F1 to that, the more and more we add, the more and more people will make crazy ideas

#10 User is offline   Noxtty8 Icon

• Account: noxtty8

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:22 PM

View PostJohnnyenglish, on 05 August 2013 - 05:50 AM, said:

Yeah, definitely... it would make this kind of thing more possible, for special events/competitions.

Working with funcs_ is already an art really, you should see Kl4nk's map "ut4_garfed" the target race is just amazing, There's a lot we can do already if we use our imagination, but once again, the more stuff we can add the better it is

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942