Urban Terror Forums: Suggestion RE: cg_fov - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggestion RE: cg_fov Rate Topic: -----

unlock, or tie max value to aspect ratio?

#1 User is offline   Qant Icon

• Account: qant

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Out of no particularly urgent occasion, I'd like to request you to reevaluate, if cg_fov really has to be locked to 110.

Still playing Urban Terror with 4:3 in 2013, just recently, when I was again playing some Q3A after quite a while, I was remembered to value being able to set cg_fov to 128 @ 16:9, which is roughly equivalent to having it at 110 @ 4:3. (Hopefully self explanatory screenshots: 110@4:3, 110@16:9, 128@16:9)

My point being, why restrict the player in its choice of fov, while both extreme settings, low, as well as high, have their very own benefits and downsides, making an individual setting merely a matter of personal preference :/

#2 User is offline   r00t Icon

•   former FS member   
    Lead Anticheat Developer
  • Account: r00t

Posted 07 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

I agree that current hard fov limit isn't very good on a widescreen.

Especially when moving from good old 4:3 CRT to 16:9 LCD, the loss of vertical space is very noticeable. Limiting it to 110 4:3 equal fov limit calculated from screen aspect ratio would be more fair, with maybe some limit to restrict how wide the screen may be (no multi-monitor setups with 250 fov).

Fov is restricted mostly because of some rendering problems (that may or may not have been fixed), it's not just about changing some upper limit number.

#3 User is offline   Qant Icon

• Account: qant

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:50 PM

For all I know, the rendering problems you mentioned, are incomplete arm models for higher values of cg_fov (correct me if I'm wrong).

Funny thing is, since currently UrT uses cg_fov to limit horizontal visibility and adjusts vertical visibility accordingly, I can basically "break" the game "as is", by using an unconventional resolution with an aspect ratio like for example 1:2 (screenshot here). With an adequate multi-monitor setup somebody could theoretically be abusing this right now, though ofc that's rather unlikely.. But still, at the end of the day, as long as the current aspect ratio isn't taken into account when limiting fov to a certain value, somebody with compliant hardware will always have an advantage.

That's why, as a consequence, besides balancing maxvalues for cg_fov around different aspect ratios, which would ofc be the best solution, as a quick alternative I would propose to use cg_fov not to restrict horizontal viewing space and adjust vertical space accordingly, but exactly vice versa (like this). Thus, missing arm textures/models won't be a factor. A transition from 4:3 to any widescreen format wouldn't be such a pain in the ass anymore, because it'll actually allow you to see more, not less.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942