• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4.2.018 Rate Topic: -----

fps drops

#31 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:39 AM

Why does every release effect different people and so drastically?

4.1 still has no stuttering or FPS drops at all over here, but each release of 4.2 is a crap shoot.

What has been done to 4.2 that destroys the performance so drastically?

There's such a great deal of bitching about what's different in 4.2, but I think the bleeding hole in Urban Terror that chases people away is simply the fact that it doesn't work near as consistently.
It feels like the whole thing has been exploded to be worked on but has not yet ever been put back together quite right.

It's extremely difficult to play, test, or even compare changes when every game and every server and every release is a wholly different experience depending on Everyone's individual performance.

It's amazing how consistent shooting targets in 4.2 is. It's also amazing how inconsistent performance all around is.

4.1 is certainly not a shining example of consistent gameplay, but I always have the same system performance with the same people on the same servers with the same maps; and always at at least 25% higher FPS than 4.2.

If this doesn't get nailed down, regardless of any game changes, I see this being the very end very soon.
If people are not able to play... it doesn't matter what hits, recoil, animations or balance is like.

TL;DR
Why does 4.1 run so much better, and is it possible to ever accomplish the same performance in 4.2?

#32 User is offline   TehReaper Icon

• Account: tehreaper

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

beautifulNihilist is right. FS needs to not worry about changing anything else in 4.2 until the FPS issues MANY are experiencing get figured out. Something got broken in 4.2 plain and simple, and figuring it out should be the #1 priority. There is no reason many people with beastly machines that ran 4.1 perfectly and can run modern games just fine should be struggling to run 4.2. We are getting many people saying they're about to give up on the game for no reason other than that it simply doesn't run for them any more. I hope the FS devs are taking this seriously, otherwise any other efforts to move this game forward are going to be in vain.

#33 User is offline   moonq3 Icon

• Account: moonq3

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Agreed.

Why is it that QA has to post this here to get anything done about this?

This post has been edited by moonq3: 25 February 2014 - 07:18 PM

#34 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

View Postmoonq3, on 25 February 2014 - 07:17 PM, said:

Why is it that QA has to post this here to get anything done about this?

The devs have been aware of it for a while, but it's difficult to pin down what's happening.

#35 User is offline   TehReaper Icon

• Account: tehreaper

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 25 February 2014 - 07:23 PM, said:

The devs have been aware of it for a while, but it's difficult to pin down what's happening.

If I had to take a guess, I would say it has something to do with the animations. The reason I say that is twofold:
  • That is probably the most drastic change from 4.1 to 4.2
  • On the machine of mine that won't play 4.2 now but played 4.1 perfectly, I get a solid 125 FPS until other players come into view. The more players that come into view, the worse my FPS gets. When lots of players come into view the game is simply unplayable. I could play on servers with 24 people in them on 4.1 with this machine and my FPS wouldn't budge off of 125 FPS.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#36 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:13 PM

This might be a solution, I get solid fps with this build, I happened to overlook this build.
http://www.r00t.cz/SW/UrbanTerror
http://www.r00t.cz/f...-r00t-v0.34.rar

i would set r_dof r_bloom to 0 for testing purposes and you have to disable simpleshaders afaik right now with r_simpleshaders 0 to enable VBO.

VBO offsets some of the load to the gpu in simple terms.

This post has been edited by Muffie: 25 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#37 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:59 AM

View PostTehReaper, on 25 February 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

If I had to take a guess, I would say it has something to do with the animations. The reason I say that is twofold:
  • On the machine of mine that won't play 4.2 now but played 4.1 perfectly, I get a solid 125 FPS until other players come into view. The more players that come into view, the worse my FPS gets. When lots of players come into view the game is simply unplayable. I could play on servers with 24 people in them on 4.1 with this machine and my FPS wouldn't budge off of 125 FPS.

I hate to say it, but this is pretty much my experience too.

Something about the animations seems to be killing performance, and more-so on newer hardware.
I'm totally not sure if this is the actual reason, but it does feel this way.

Whatever it is seems to be tied to the players on screen.

This post has been edited by beautifulNihilist: 26 February 2014 - 01:03 AM

#38 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:02 AM

View PostTehReaper, on 25 February 2014 - 08:19 PM, said:

View PostbeautifulNihilist, on 26 February 2014 - 12:59 AM, said:

I hate to say it, but this is pretty much my experience too.

Something about the animations seems to be killing performance, and more-so on newer hardware.
I'm totally not sure if this is the actual reason, but it does feel this way.

Don't mistake correlation for causality. There are a lot of other factors that could also be responsible, alone or in combination.

#39 User is offline   beautifulNihilist Icon

•   verified user   

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:07 AM

For sure.
But it is worth pointing out.

#40 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

i also got the feeling that the problem is somewhere in the player animations.
like i play on Eagle (ok. thats pretty much a performance killer, especially in the mod i play on) and got huge fps drops in some areas (like boathouse rooftop)
Sure my machine sucks -IBM lenovo thinkpad T400 with an intel 3300 (or somehting like that) IGP -, so i dont expect too much, but this machine runs sins of a solar empire fine, and the graphics there are more challenging (and set to med-low) than in UrT (set to low-lower)

But actually its a pretty funny thing, since you can get better hits with the sr8 imo, like you lag like hell when scoping, but hit pretty good once you are used to it xD

This post has been edited by Iye: 26 February 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942