• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Performance issues Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   zyzz Icon

• Account: zyzz

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hi,

I have had these fps drops now for a long time but I can't play with this anymore. I have the feeling I aim to the left and right of my opponents because of these drops.
I think lowering them to a cap of 60 would solve my problems but I can't believe that my PC is not strong enough to run 125 fps with a fairly old game (even with all the addons made to it).

I tried lowering the resolution to 720p from 1080p and settings to low but that made no difference.

It's especially bad on Uptown and Prague V2 where it drops very often to around 70 fps from 125.

I have an AMD FX-6100 with an AMD 7700 graphics card.
I run Linuxmint DE with Cinnamon as the DE.
Drivers for the card are from the repositories version 13.8. Do you think reinstalling them or manually updating to a newer version may help? (I ask before doing as I don't want to trash my system if it's no use anyway.)

Did any of you had these fps drops as well and found a solution for it?

Thx for your time.

#2 User is offline   Drizzt Icon

• Account: drizzt

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:48 PM

View Postzyzz, on 12 May 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Hi,

I have had these fps drops now for a long time but I can't play with this anymore. I have the feeling I aim to the left and right of my opponents because of these drops.
I think lowering them to a cap of 60 would solve my problems but I can't believe that my PC is not strong enough to run 125 fps with a fairly old game (even with all the addons made to it).

I tried lowering the resolution to 720p from 1080p and settings to low but that made no difference.

It's especially bad on Uptown and Prague V2 where it drops very often to around 70 fps from 125.

I have an AMD FX-6100 with an AMD 7700 graphics card.
I run Linuxmint DE with Cinnamon as the DE.
Drivers for the card are from the repositories version 13.8. Do you think reinstalling them or manually updating to a newer version may help? (I ask before doing as I don't want to trash my system if it's no use anyway.)

Did any of you had these fps drops as well and found a solution for it?

Thx for your time.

I don't know if this works, but maybe you can try this. Cinnamon Desktop have animations? If the answer is yes, you can try change to MATE Desktop (or xfce) and test if fps drop's are missing or not. Some graphics cards have problem running desktop effects and play some games at the same time.

About Prague V2, the majority of player's have fps drop's on this map, I think remember that this version it's not finish yet but I'm not sure about this.

This post has been edited by Drizzt: 12 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

#3 User is offline   zyzz Icon

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Yes it has Desktop effects but they are deactivated. I will try MATE maybe tomorrow. Would be a bit annoying to switch to MATE just for UrT but if it works then that'll be it. :)

#4 User is offline   zyzz Icon

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:01 PM

Tried MATE with Compiz deactivated. Same fps drops.
I read about an issue with libsdl1.2 but no known fix (other than reverting to an old version of libsdl but as it's a lib which many programs depend on that no option for me.)

I might try reinstalling the graphics drivers or manually install newer ones but my hopes are low to have that work out. :(

EDIT: Newest drivers don't help.
I think I try Win7, if I have performance problems there too it's my PC.

This post has been edited by zyzz: 13 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

#5 User is offline   cobalt60 Icon

• Account: cobalt60

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

What refresh rate is your monitor running at? If its only running at 60Hz theres really not that big of an advantage to having more fps than that.

What monitor are you using? If youre using a TV as a monitor, are you aware that TVs generally have MASSIVE amounts of input lag?

Have you considered running pillar-boxed (the opposite of letter-boxed)? UrT is 4:3 native meaning running at a widescreen resolution crops the display and you see less which is a disadvantage. If you can, try setting your monitor to display a 1:1 ratio, meaning smaller resolutions are not stretched, and set your res to 1440x1080, 1680x1050, or 1280x1024. The smaller resolution and fact that your monitor does not have to scale (like it did with 720p) may improve performance.

Are you using the free radeon driver or the closed fglrx driver? What is your kernel version?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 15 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

I'm running the game on an ancient phenom 940 underclocked from 3.0 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz to lower the temperature during the summer and my FPS rarely drops bellow 125 FPS. Mostly it will drop on poorly optimized maps but that I'm used to.

Try running the game on just one core, i had massive FPS drops on an old athlon dual core that would go away when i set affinity to just one core.

#7 User is offline   zyzz Icon

Posted 11 July 2014 - 02:48 PM

Sorry for the late response. I gave up on it for a while but just recently tried to find the issue again. It seems to be a CPU limit because I was monitoring my GPU under Win7 with MSI Afterburner and it rarely even goes in a higher state.
The CPU however is 100% on one core with boost mode = 3900Mhz.
I tried to deactivate boost and limit my cores to 3 which resulted in even lower fps.

@cobalt60: Yes my monitor is 60Hz, 16:9, Samsung Syncmaster. I lowered max fps midgame to 60 fps and could feel the difference.
I also have a fov of 110 so it "looks" alright.
I will try out the different resolution. (But isn't that GPU performance effect?)
I use the fglrx as the radeon have no performance for me at all.
Kernel is 3.11-2-amd64 on Linuxmint Debian Edition (up to date)

@rayne2: Any idea how I can assign 1 core to UrT? I know how to do it under Win7 (it automatically assign Core1 (2nd core) to it.
I start UrT with a script to increase my brightness and added recently the option to set all cores on performance instead of ondemand. I think that improved my performance a little bit.
"poorly optimized maps" I feel that most maps are in that state. F.e. Uptown, thingley, prague v2 (all 3 horrible fps down to 50-60 at some places), casa (slightly 90-100fps) etc.

Any idea what settings are mostly CPU based so that I can lower them?

#8 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

View Postzyzz, on 11 July 2014 - 02:48 PM, said:

@rayne2: Any idea how I can assign 1 core to UrT? I know how to do it under Win7 (it automatically assign Core1 (2nd core) to it.

Maybe, try installing Debian package "schedtool".
I use it with
schedtool -a 0x1 -e Quake3-UrT.x86_64 
0x1 is an hex-bitmask to select which proccesors to use.
It should be really effective if the "-I" option for SCHED_ISO were implemented (but it seems it is not yet).
I does not feel a noticeable improve, but just in case...

Update: Since 4.2.12 there is a cvar for cpu affinity ingame: \seta com_singlecore "1", forces to use only first cpu (2 = second, etc.), so no need schedtool for that.
Also, I compiled a kernel with CK patch for BFS to use SCHED_ISO, and it does not improve anything.

This post has been edited by karnute: 12 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

#9 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:08 PM

well.... prague_v2 is actually a demo of a HD map... So *@!# performance there. it even lags on my machine. (and thats a pretty good one)

You could try lowering: cg_lodbias (dont know what the lowest value is, look it up). it will lower the detail of the player models (if it still works...)

also try reading thisone the most active UrT website ever
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#10 User is offline   zyzz Icon

Posted 12 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

Alright I tried a few more things with "timedemo 1".
I also read that UrT is always using 100% of the CPU so it's not a very good indicator of a cpu limit.

Sound settings:
90 fps: dmaHD enabled; all max
105 fps: dmaHD enabled; all low
108 fps: dmaHD disabled; all max; 3d planet mixer; no doppler
106 fps: dmaHD disabled; all max; 3d full mixer; no doppler
106 fps: dmaHD disabled; all max; 3d planet mixer; doppler
106 fps: dmaHD disabled; all max; 3d full mixer; doppler

90 fps: default game settings propertbly because all sound settings = max

114 fps: sound deactivated in Win7, no difference between dmaHD on/off

So this means that the sound consumes ẁith dmaHD around 25 fps? Is it just me or does that sound weird?
Playing without sound is no option of course. :p

11khz = crash so I couldn't test lowering this.

different sound card: no change (tested most of the time with a USB soundcard integrated in my boxes then switched to my internal connected to my headphones. Didn't test the onboard one.)

So it seems dmaHD is the biggest hit in performance with around 15fps. So I thought I could force to give the game another core to seperate dmaHD from the main load:

increasing priority: no change
@karnute: core 0 and 1 or 0-3 or 1,3,5: no change as you already guessed correctly or tried. :p

It had no effect. At some point it even had a distorted sound with a delay in it.

Graphic settings:

changing resolution to 4:3 etc: no change
lowering all details: no change

So I guess it is definitely no gpu limit right?

Game options (with dmaHD off):
no infos shown (fps, netgraph, etc): minor improvement (1 fps)
no blood: minor improvement (1 fps)
bullet impacts (no change)

110 fps: dynamic lightning off on the gun
114 fps: no gun displayed

all other changes maybe 2-3+ fps if all disabled/set to minimum

@Iye: I tested some of the settings from that website. I remember using most of the settings on my old pc and it helped but there I was limited by an office gpu. :)
I couldn't find anything about cg_lodbias. Only that it was some setting for nvidia gpus. I use an AMD HD7700. :)

What does this tell me know? Isn't the gun display a gpu thing? Why does this reduce my performance by such a big amount when the graphic setting don't do a thing?
Playing without as model is no option as it feels way to weird but the lightning stays deactivated.

Could a FX6100 with a boost of 3900Mhz really be the limiting factor here? I guess I could run 300fps in Q3A easily. HL2 runs with 120 fps as well. (If someone even read this wall of text. :D)

I really hate going back to a lower fps but if I have to I will. Still better than having huge drops.
Any suggestions to which value I should reduce with a monitor frequency of 60Hz 60fps seems the most logical but would 80 or 90 fps maybe make more sense?

This post has been edited by zyzz: 12 July 2014 - 02:07 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942