Urban Terror Forums: Resolution scaling problem on 1920x1080 w/ UrT and Old school games in general - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Resolution scaling problem on 1920x1080 w/ UrT and Old school games in general Rate Topic: -----

Everything is zoomed up

#1 User is offline   matoro1992 Icon

• Account: matoro1992

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hello everyone, I've recently upgraded to a Lenovo gaming laptop that can support games in resolution in 1920x1080p in today's modern games (such as Serious Sam 3 and Crysis).

However, when it comes to old school games such as Urban Terror and Quake, the scaling problem comes in when I set the resolution to 1920x1080. The picture is zoomed in on the top left corner of my screen. My only other option is 1280x720, and that sucks.

Any ideas? Thanks!

#2 User is offline   lonkamikaze Icon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

It depends on the client you use. On modern versions of ioq3 you can use: ioq3 +seta r_mode -2
to use your desktop resolution.

For iout you probably have to use: iout +seta r_customwidth 1920 +seta r_customheight 1080 +seta r_mode -1

Of course you need to use the right binary names.

#3 User is offline   matoro1992 Icon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:22 PM

I'm just using the default Urban Terror 4.2 client. Now where do I go, to edit the binary names? Thanks!

#4 User is offline   lonkamikaze Icon

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

You don't have to edit binary names. I just don't know what your binaries are called.

You can also enter the commands in the ingame console:

\seta r_customwidth 1920
\seta r_customheight 1080
\seta r_mode -1
\vid_restart

#5 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

werent higher resulitions added some updates ago? or were those only widescreen options.
Anyway, do what the [ur=http://www.urbanterror.info/forums/topic/32394-resolution-scaling-problem-on-1920x1080-w-urt-and-old-school-games-in-general/page__p__357161#entry357161]OP[/url] suggests and you should be good to go.

For the zoomin:
Are you using full screen? (if not try to)
You could also try getting r00ts built for the borderless mode (its a ioq3 built for urbanterror, that supports auth) or play windowed and use something like a AHK script to move the window to the correct position automatically.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   matoro1992 Icon

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:07 PM

I've tried updating the Nvidia graphics card - check
Input commands in console of game - check
Set resolution to 1920x1080 - miss

I think it is the laptop's monitor. Because when I tried hooking this thing up on the TV, there was no "zooming-in" problem under 1920x1080. I did found out that 1366x768 is the best resolution for this game, before it starts to zoom-up in other higher resolutions. Not quite the crisp resolution I wanted. But it is better than nothing.

Thanks for the suggestions you guys. :)

#7 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Hi matoro, I was helping someone else with the same symptons as you. They where using windows 8/8.1 and the problem was caused by the new "scaling on high DPI displays" feature of the new operating system.

a quick fix for UrbanTerror is to right click on the .exe and go to properties > compatibility. Then check the box at the bottom that says "disable display scaling on high dpi settings"

you may also notice certain programs do not look as sharp as you expect like chrome seems a little blurry on the text. simply do the same for the chrome exe or any other program.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#8 User is offline   matoro1992 Icon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 01:00 AM

View PostNitro, on 01 July 2014 - 10:40 PM, said:

Hi matoro, I was helping someone else with the same symptons as you. They where using windows 8/8.1 and the problem was caused by the new "scaling on high DPI displays" feature of the new operating system.

a quick fix for UrbanTerror is to right click on the .exe and go to properties > compatibility. Then check the box at the bottom that says "disable display scaling on high dpi settings"

you may also notice certain programs do not look as sharp as you expect like chrome seems a little blurry on the text. simply do the same for the chrome exe or any other program.

IT WORKED!!! :D Thank you, Nitro! Now I am able to play Urban Terror in highrez! ^_^ Looks much clearer now!

#9 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

"scaling on high DPI displays"

Yes - I uninstalled "clean uninstall" with a utility - and then re-installed nVidia drivers WITHOUT "GeForce Experience" and all the extra crap that it makes run in the back ground (ugh!!!).

Well, I was going nuts trying to get the game to work but it kept either showing only the upper/left portion of the game screen, or, if I turned the resolution way down, just a little screen in the center with big black borders.

Anyway, on Windows 10 (latest version) the setting is called: "Override high DPI scaling behavior."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942