Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

More squares!
I raise komodo dragons in my spare time

#3 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:25 PM

Sweet, hope you will make more sense to the inner laundromat layout :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#4 User is offline   Freshh Icon

• Account: freshh
  • Main tag: Forge|

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:35 PM

looking forward to it :)

#5 User is offline   Lecter2142 Icon

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:14 AM

Just a question, are you going to close the map or not? What I mean is are you going to allow spectators to move through the walls and see the glitches in the map or are you going to close it so that we can't move through walls?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#7 User is offline   banksy Icon

• Account: banksy
  • Main tag: CMM|

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

Happyday,

I hope the inside if that building isnt just gyprock walls. I hope that you at least make it look accessible other than a by the use of ladders. Like I said in the other thread, he map needs to look real. What building in the real world would you see that is 2-3 stories with the top story only being accessible via a ladder. The inside there needs an entrance. Or even, scrap the room, and just have it as roof top obstacles, like vents/electrical boxes, with a pergola over them, with would replace the roof of the third story. I love uptown, but the map just doesnt make sense. Like the elevator shaft. If there were an elevator there, all it does is takes you to an empty room... Who makes buildings that have no purpose. Its things like this that set aside good maps from great maps. You never see maps in mass produced games that include random buildings purely for gameplay. The buildings need to tie in together, and make sense as if we saw them in the real world.

You could make an exact remake of uptown with updated graphics... but thats boring. We need a new uptown. Im not saying change the whole layout. Im saying keep the main features we all know and love, but alter some things so that it feels like its something new. A bit like dust2 in CS:GO. Its pretty much exactly the same as in the previous versions, although it feels like a new map, and you almost feel like you need to rethink your strategies :)

So far so good on your work brother! Just make it different, make it new! Try not to replicate an old idea. Imagine you made the map layout/design on paper yourself, and give it your own theme. Why does this map even need to be "Uptown." Why not another theme, but with the same layout. Kinda like nevada. What they have done there is amazing. Its the same layout we all know and love and have played a thousand times. But with the new theme and tiny tweaks to the layout, it feels like a whole new map that is waiting to be explored!

I know ive dribbled on and repeated myself, but this is just my opinion bro so dont take it badly. think about it man. What do you want this map to look like? express yourself ;)

much love, banksy xx

#8 User is offline   cessquill Icon

• Account: cessquill

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Whilst I agree with you Banksy, my personal icing on the cake is about consistency in design. Across one map and all maps.

You should either be able to climb all drainpipes or none at all. If a block is within grabbing and climbing distance, you should be able to grab it and climb up.

To have clipped areas suggests to me that the level could be designed better. Some stock maps have drainpipes and trees to climb up. Switch to another and you can't.

I appreciate that I'm not a mapper (by any stretch), you get used to maps, and to attract custom mappers you can't enforce too many rules, but this is just something that's bugged me.

#9 User is offline   rayne2 Icon

• Account: rayne2

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

View Postcessquill, on 26 June 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

Whilst I agree with you Banksy, my personal icing on the cake is about consistency in design. Across one map and all maps.

You should either be able to climb all drainpipes or none at all. If a block is within grabbing and climbing distance, you should be able to grab it and climb up.

To have clipped areas suggests to me that the level could be designed better. Some stock maps have drainpipes and trees to climb up. Switch to another and you can't.

I appreciate that I'm not a mapper (by any stretch), you get used to maps, and to attract custom mappers you can't enforce too many rules, but this is just something that's bugged me.

Spot on. He just made a very good point, if you have to resort to clipping then your design is flawed and your imagination failed you.

#10 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 26 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

View Postbanksy, on 26 June 2014 - 09:34 AM, said:

Happyday,

I hope the inside if that building isnt just gyprock walls. I hope that you at least make it look accessible other than a by the use of ladders. Like I said in the other thread, he map needs to look real. What building in the real world would you see that is 2-3 stories with the top story only being accessible via a ladder. The inside there needs an entrance. Or even, scrap the room, and just have it as roof top obstacles, like vents/electrical boxes, with a pergola over them, with would replace the roof of the third story. I love uptown, but the map just doesnt make sense. Like the elevator shaft. If there were an elevator there, all it does is takes you to an empty room... Who makes buildings that have no purpose. Its things like this that set aside good maps from great maps. You never see maps in mass produced games that include random buildings purely for gameplay. The buildings need to tie in together, and make sense as if we saw them in the real world.

You could make an exact remake of uptown with updated graphics... but thats boring. We need a new uptown. Im not saying change the whole layout. Im saying keep the main features we all know and love, but alter some things so that it feels like its something new. A bit like dust2 in CS:GO. Its pretty much exactly the same as in the previous versions, although it feels like a new map, and you almost feel like you need to rethink your strategies :)

So far so good on your work brother! Just make it different, make it new! Try not to replicate an old idea. Imagine you made the map layout/design on paper yourself, and give it your own theme. Why does this map even need to be "Uptown." Why not another theme, but with the same layout. Kinda like nevada. What they have done there is amazing. Its the same layout we all know and love and have played a thousand times. But with the new theme and tiny tweaks to the layout, it feels like a whole new map that is waiting to be explored!

I know ive dribbled on and repeated myself, but this is just my opinion bro so dont take it badly. think about it man. What do you want this map to look like? express yourself ;)

much love, banksy xx

Thanks! Someone that thinks like me, i agree on all that you said and i've myself suggested to scrap the ladder and make a staircase down to the street level(which would make much more sense). So that its basically a staircase up to the roof.

And I've been thinking the same as you with the Nevada map (i was thinking of bringing that up, but you did it before me :D)

But i wouldn't worry to much, i trust that Happyday knows what he is doing (:
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942