Urban Terror Forums: Sudden lag problem with regular lag spikes - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sudden lag problem with regular lag spikes Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

• Account: kolossus

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

Hi all, since some time I've been having a weird lag problem. I tried to record a demo showing it, but when playing the demo, the lagometer appears different so nothing.

Anyways, I have regular lag spikes like in this thread and I thought it could have been Windows 7, but I actually have a dual boot system with Macintosh, and the same happens on the Mac side so the problem is not the OS.

I thought it could have been the Wifi (I play wireless), but I've played for a long time and it has always been ok, a ~120 ping sure, but never lag spikes with black lines on a regular basis, so I'd exclude that too.

So... Is my video card dying or what can it be? :( I can't play at all because the lag spikes are very frequent, like some seconds between one and the other.

HALP.

#2 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 06 July 2014 - 11:21 PM

i have/had similar problems with our servers (lcdlc). First i thought it was my connection. but no. nothing else running. should be fine.
then i thought i might be the server, since we had some server freezes. but no noone else had all these red spikes. (thats ping btw)
So i check my connection again and found out that it was lowered to a third of the normal speed from time to time....

But back to your problem.
Your demo wont show the lags, since its a copy of your comm with the server. even if you had some delayed packets that wont show up in replay.
Is it the upper or lower part of the graph that shows the spikes (lower would be ping/server communication; upper would imply your rendering is too slow/whatever local thing)

Also, do you have this problem on
specific maps (there are quite some maps that dont have a -vis stage...),
specific servers (maybe its their fault, or your ISP fucked up routing there)

Anyway:
Stuff you can try:
  • check wether the spikes are in the upper or lower graph (render or connection)
  • load a map you had lags on locally
  • check your fps
  • get the r00ts built and enable all those fancy outputs for render and connection and check them

For the graphics card:
You could post your system specs here. But i doubt that thats the problem, since you were able to play before.
I also dont think that your video card is dieing. You would notice that. pretty sure.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:30 AM

Ah right, I forgot to mention, no red spikes. Only black/green/black/green for some seconds in the lower part, and some up-yellow in the upper part. I think the black ones are the antiwarp or something, right?

I play on few servers: Sr8 only or turnpike PWB (all weapons), so the map is usually Turnpike which never gave me problems before. The occasional lag, yes, but nothing like this. Besides, my ping has always been high, around 100, but a stable high-ish ping is better than continuous lag spikes. I'll clean my fans these days and see what happens after that, I was also thinking that the GPU might be getting too hot. I suppose heat might cause lag, as in problems with the rendering and all.

This post has been edited by Kolossus: 07 July 2014 - 12:31 AM

#4 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:30 PM

Here are some screenshots showing what happens:

Posted Image

And now I also have red lines... ¬_¬

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Looks like a network problem to me, are you noticing drops in your fps?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

View Postthelionroars, on 07 July 2014 - 08:30 PM, said:

Looks like a network problem to me, are you noticing drops in your fps?

No, to be honest I didn't pay attention to that. What would that mean?

#7 User is offline   phd Icon

• Account: phd

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

(I haven't read the whole thing, but here are my 2 cents anyway.)

1- Map folder. If you have a LOT of custom maps, it appears as if the UrT client does a scan of the folder regularly (even when playing) causing sluggish feeling.

2- An old WIFI (or not) router (even when using an Rj-45 cable) can eventually become "weird". The best way to test that would be to borrow a router from a friend, or buy one at Walmart and then return it. So far, I "played" through 2 router. All the lags I was experiencing disappeared once I changed the router.

Good luck !

#8 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostKolossus, on 07 July 2014 - 09:31 PM, said:

No, to be honest I didn't pay attention to that. What would that mean?

If you're not getting this, you can rule out the video card being the problem.

#9 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

If it's literally regular, (and happening on every maps not tp only) maybe make sure your box is not refreshing all available wifis all around every one or two minutes. Check that just to be sure to exclude this idea cause it was a pain.

#10 User is offline   Kolossus Icon

Posted 10 July 2014 - 09:59 PM

I tried to disable that, but it disables my wifi completely so I can't use internet at all. ._.

Also, now it got worse, moar red lines. MOAR.

Posted Image

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942