Urban Terror Forums: [Linux] Two connection issues after update - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Linux] Two connection issues after update Rate Topic: -----

Cannot Auth, Cannot connect to server

#1 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

• Account: barfingskull

Posted 16 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Two problems, one of which I described elsewhere. I'm running the game under Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)

On both the old version and on 4.2.019, I cannot auth. I get the "Authserver not available" message. I've had suggestions that this is a firewall problem. I doubt this, as nothing on my router or computer has changed. However, so I can verify this, can you let me know what the DNS name is for the auth server (to verify I'm resolving it correctly) and the port? That way I can use telnet or some other utility to verify connectivity. Does the auth use TCP or UDP? That might affect my approach.

Secondly, upon trying to connect to a 4.2.019 server, with the 4.2.019 client, the game just quits. I retained a copy of the older version, and when trying to connect to the same server, it tells me to upgrade. The updater ran without issues. I maintained directories with copies of each version of the game, so I can try each. Upon trying to connect with 4.2.019, which the server should have (given I get told to update with the older client) I get the follwing:

texture bits: 16
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: disabled
XF86VidModeSetGamma: 2.312, 2.312, 2.312.
Initializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm...
Failed.
----- CL_Shutdown -----
Closing SDL audio device...
SDL audio device shut down.
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Sys_Error: VM_Create on UI failed. It may be because you are running a different version from this server. Please check that you are up to date on www.urbanterror.info

Shutdown tty console

Any idea what's up? Also, why does the game totally quit when it encounters a version difference? Seems like an inappropriate response to that type of error.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
-BS

#2 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

View Postbarfingskull, on 16 September 2014 - 04:33 AM, said:

Two problems, one of which I described elsewhere. I'm running the game under Linux (Ubuntu 14.04)

On both the old version and on 4.2.019, I cannot auth. I get the "Authserver not available" message. I've had suggestions that this is a firewall problem. I doubt this, as nothing on my router or computer has changed. However, so I can verify this, can you let me know what the DNS name is for the auth server (to verify I'm resolving it correctly) and the port? That way I can use telnet or some other utility to verify connectivity. Does the auth use TCP or UDP? That might affect my approach.

Secondly, upon trying to connect to a 4.2.019 server, with the 4.2.019 client, the game just quits. I retained a copy of the older version, and when trying to connect to the same server, it tells me to upgrade. The updater ran without issues. I maintained directories with copies of each version of the game, so I can try each. Upon trying to connect with 4.2.019, which the server should have (given I get told to update with the older client) I get the follwing:

texture bits: 16
multitexture: enabled
compiled vertex arrays: enabled
texenv add: enabled
compressed textures: disabled
XF86VidModeSetGamma: 2.312, 2.312, 2.312.
Initializing Shaders
----- finished R_Init -----
Loading vm file vm/ui.qvm...
Failed.
----- CL_Shutdown -----
Closing SDL audio device...
SDL audio device shut down.
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Sys_Error: VM_Create on UI failed. It may be because you are running a different version from this server. Please check that you are up to date on www.urbanterror.info

Shutdown tty console

Any idea what's up? Also, why does the game totally quit when it encounters a version difference? Seems like an inappropriate response to that type of error.

Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
-BS

I was successful in connecting to two other 4.2.019 servers, so it could have just been the server. So I guess I'm down to the auth thing any why the game totally exits.

Thanks again,
-BS

#3 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: thelionroars

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

View Postbarfingskull, on 16 September 2014 - 06:12 AM, said:

I was successful in connecting to two other 4.2.019 servers, so it could have just been the server. So I guess I'm down to the auth thing any why the game totally exits.

Thanks again,
-BS

Hi BarfingSkull,

I did a wireshark capture to get that auth information. The URL is authserver.urbanterror.info, the canonical name is fs6.urbanterror.info and the current IP is 178.33.22.116 . The query port is 27952 over UDP, your source port will be 27960 unless it's taken already or you've changed that behaviour yourself.

This post has been edited by thelionroars: 16 September 2014 - 06:27 AM

#4 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 16 September 2014 - 06:26 AM, said:

Hi BarfingSkull,

I did a wireshark capture to get that auth information. The URL is authserver.urbanterror.info, the canonical name is fs6.urbanterror.info and the current IP is 178.33.22.116 . The query port is 27952 over UDP, your source port will be 27960 unless it's taken already or you've changed that behaviour yourself.

Thanks! Doesn't appear to be a firewall issue:

LOLZ@carcass:~$ netcat -vu -p 27960 authserver.urbanterror.info 27952
Connection to authserver.urbanterror.info 27952 port [udp/*] succeeded!

I resolve to the same IP that you do, no problem there.

-BS

This post has been edited by barfingskull: 17 September 2014 - 02:20 AM

#5 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:14 AM

Try this:

sudo apt-get install xclip

(universe repository should be automatically enabled)

Go into $HOME/.q3a and delete your authkey, then copy your authkey here on the forums. Start the game and enter this:

/auth-set 

and press Ctrl-V to enter your code.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:38 AM

View Postthelionroars, on 17 September 2014 - 03:14 AM, said:

Try this:

sudo apt-get install xclip

(universe repository should be automatically enabled)

Go into $HOME/.q3a and delete your authkey, then copy your authkey here on the forums. Start the game and enter this:

/auth-set 

and press Ctrl-V to enter your code.

Tried as explained above, which went OK, but no dice. It doesn't look like it saves the authkey file until it works successfully. I really suspect it's a communications issue rather than the auth key not being valid, considering it says the server is unavailable. Again, it worked fine for the longest time, and without any changes, stopped working. I've tried saving that file with the auth key, too.

As an aside, I usually launch the game in a separate, minimalist X server. Helps performance, but for this exercise started it in my main X server.

Cheers,
-BS

#7 User is offline   thelionroars Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:50 AM

That's pretty weird. My suggestion is to install Wireshark and run a capture of you starting the game up until when you get your error. It might help you work out what's going on.

sudo apt-get install wireshark

You will need to add yourself to the wireshark group.

#8 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hmm....I get one UDP packet going to authserver.urbanterror.info, and one coming back, from starting the game to exiting it, during which it attempts to contact the authserver. So they're talking, just not speaking the same language? Or the server is doing something weird after changes for 4.2.019? I'm having the same problem with both 018 and 019.

Frame 238: 204 bytes on wire (1632 bits), 204 bytes captured (1632 bits) on interface 0
Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 192.168.100.9 (192.168.100.9), Dst: 178.33.22.116 (178.33.22.116)
User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 27960 (27960), Dst Port: 27952 (27952)
Quake III Arena Network Protocol

Frame 252: 141 bytes on wire (1128 bits), 141 bytes captured (1128 bits) on interface 0
Internet Protocol Version 4, Src: 178.33.22.116 (178.33.22.116), Dst: 192.168.100.9 (192.168.100.9)
User Datagram Protocol, Src Port: 27952 (27952), Dst Port: 27960 (27960)
Quake III Arena Network Protocol

Cheers,
-BS

#9 User is offline   barfingskull Icon

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:29 AM

Tried it again this afternoon.

No traffic to that IP address, both on startup and trying to enter the key again, a couple times. So I don't think it tried to send anything to authserver.urbanterror.info

For the first one where there was traffic this morning, my initial thought on debugging would be to look at the authinfo server logs. Sadly, that is not within my reach.

-BS

#10 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 22 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

For anyone stumbling upon this in the future: GitHub issue on this (TL;DR: It was this malicious servers thing).
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942