• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WARNING - Malicious servers Rate Topic: -----

#11 User is offline   Drizzt Icon

• Account: drizzt

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

So, If I'm affected by one of this malware maps, the client binary does not has been modified and the authkey it's not has been stolen? We need not worry about next banlist, right? :sad:

#12 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:12 AM

I already see another server with this kiddie bullshit. The best thing for everyone to do is stick only to the servers you know. There's even a "Server Info" button you can click. If the server shows 20 and it doesn't say anyone is playing under "Server Info", you're probably about to get had.

This post has been edited by Nikki: 17 September 2014 - 06:14 AM

#13 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

We also got a legit map repo, for Europe players: http://s1.mstclan.xyz/q3ut4/

#14 User is offline   bArgh Icon

• Account: bargh

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:45 AM

Let me just repeat the comment from the thread Puma is no more, but there is Eminem I started in March this year:

"There is a couple of questions in regard to all of this. How can a content of a particular map package affect a game behaviour in another map? When I have a target practice with bots on my local server it is "ut4_algiers" map. Why is "chronic" map allowed to "disable" UrT bots and load its own? I am aware that assets in one map can cause visual problems in another. Common, and programming, sense tells me that map assets should be limited to affecting the game behaviour only on the map these assets are part of. Which raises a security question. Is it possible for a rogue server to distribute map(s) containing code which would deliberately infect the UrT client with cheatcode signatures, thus compromising UrT anticheat?"

#15 User is offline   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

All the signs of a malicious server described so far are trivial to alter, and any map can be repacked to contain the malicious code. You should assume that any server you do not know well can be a malicious one. The important part here is “know well” — you may have played on a server once or twice before, but it may be malicious now. The only way to be sure is to not allow map autodownloads from unfamiliar servers. If you need to download something, get it from a trusted website.

Please note that logging out of auth is not a solution to this problem — until the security hole is fixed, you remain vulnerable should you ever log into auth again. Make sure you don’t have any bad maps and do your best to avoid getting any. And, if you haven’t changed your auth key yet, do it. It’s made easy for a reason, you know.

Ladies and gentlemen with a YOLO attitude can of course log out of auth and restart the game before autodownloading, and check the PK3s manually: the bad maps have been repacked with a vm/ folder containing hacked versions of the QVM files. Maps without QVM files — however fishy the originating server looks — are safe. (Maybe.)

The person who spotted this QVM thing was Orbit by the way. D SZ went hunting and found several servers that matched his description.
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   sk3tz Icon

•   verified donator   
  • Account: sk3tz

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

View PostBarbatos, on 16 September 2014 - 03:55 PM, said:

Hi,

There are currently at least four malicious servers trying to steal authentication keys. If your auth is suddenly refusing to work and/or you see “Unknown” in the server list instead of “FREEZE”, you probably have connected to one of those servers and downloaded at least one map.

All those maps contain malicious code.

If you think you may be affected, delete all maps downloaded on September 14 or later and change your auth key. Downloading any maps from servers you don’t know well is discouraged until further notice.

Is it only my authentication key they can obtain through this malicious code?

#17 User is offline   tintir Icon

• Account: tintir
  • Main tag: MsT*|

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:12 PM

View Postsk3tz, on 17 September 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

Is it only my authentication key they can obtain through this malicious code?

No one knows, but from what we know it's still auth only.

#19 User is offline   Nikki Icon

• Account: nikki
  • Main tag: diRf!

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostMr.Yeah, on 17 September 2014 - 05:21 PM, said:

This happened to me way prior to this announcement. On 4.2.018, Auth working, and the info displayed by the "Server Info" seemed incomplete e.g players connected shown in server list, but incomplete or non of them showing up in server info. And it did show bots.

It's always incomplete but it will show at least some of the list. Easier than telling people to get the IP and use the server browser or download qtracker :P

This post has been edited by Nikki: 17 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

#20 User is offline   Pilou42 Icon

• Account: pilou42

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

By the way, I think there's a setting which prevents auto-download map. It could be a temporary solution.

Maybe it should be forced for the next release. Then a message would appear:
"You need to download a map to play this game. The server you're trying to download map is not in our whitelist, so be careful and don't download map except if you know the server well" then "proceed anyway" or "cancel and return to list".

Well maybe it's too much for 4.2 which is supposed to receive only bug fixes.

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942