Urban Terror Forums: A small list of critics about the gameplay... - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A small list of critics about the gameplay... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kilbith Icon

• Account: kilbith

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hi there :)

I spent ~1h on Urban Terror. Interesting game, but some things that concerns the gameplay has pissed me off a bit...

1) The "sliding" when ending to walk. You feel like on a icerink and this is not realistic at all.

2) The absence of iron sights with the assault rifles such as the AK47 or M16. Could be very useful at middle distance.

3) Inapropriate gigantic sizing of maps relative to the player's speed, lack of subtle emplacements for "hide-and-shoot".

4) No lay down position. Could be very useful for aiming or hiding in certain situations.

5) The weapon's zoom should be enabled/disabled both by right-click. It is not instinctive/reactive to assign another key for "un-zoom" (is that a word ?).

6) Again for a realistic matter: add a player's breath that move slighty the weapon, and an "hold the breath" key when aiming with the sniper.

7) Could be useful: the crosshair changes when you shoot/kill an ennemy. This way we would be aware that we're aiming good. In Call of Duty, it's a cross for that.

Thanks for consider that, keep up the good work and see you playing on the servers ! ;)

Cheers,
Kilbith.

This post has been edited by Kilbith: 20 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

#2 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

1 urt IS sliding, else you can better play any other game. Search youtube clips for... urban terror sliding sr8 or so....

2 iron sights will make game to slow, been discussed many times and it wont be implemented anytime. There are autos and zoomweapons, thats enough

3 Very strange point, imo most default maps are to small..... with a few jumps you are at enemy side. Urt was originally a survivor game, there are many places tonhide, maybe not to camp for hours.....

4 urt is power sliding and not about proning, laying down.....

6 same as above.... if you have to wait to shoot becuz you breath, that is not urt , urt wants to be fast. Originally a quake game, arena like. Not a wargame.....

Play more watch more and then you will appreciate that urt is urt and not a realiatix wargame.
Enjoy!

#3 User is offline   Lochverstaerker Icon

•   QA member   

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:45 PM

Urban Terror might just not be the game for you. It is more of an arena shooter, people want fast gameplay.
Things like Iron Sights, laying down (especially to hide), "player breath" don't really add (much) to the gameplay or they even slow the game down, which is pretty freaking annoying (I'm already infintely annoyed by the fact that there is no infinite stamina).

View PostKilbith, on 20 December 2014 - 02:27 PM, said:

3) Inapropriate gigantic sizing of maps relative to the player's speed, lack of subtle emplacements for "hide-and-shoot".

Given you're a new player, I don't think you really know how fast you can actually go in UrT. By jumping well you can cross many maps in seconds. Plus there are many maps of varying sizes.

5) The weapon's zoom should be enabled/disabled both by right-click. It is not instinctive/reactive to assign another key for "un-zoom" (is that a word ?).

Pretty sure you can do stuff like this with custom binds.

7) Could be useful: the crosshair changes when you shoot/kill an ennemy. This way we would be aware that we're aiming good. In Call of Duty, it's a cross for that.

I don't really see why. The game tells you if and even where and for how much damage you hit an enemy.

This post has been edited by Lochverstaerker: 20 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

#4 User is online   JRandomNoob Icon

Community Moderator

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

You, sir, are nothing b—

…Sorry, forgetting my manners. Welcome, and thank you for your comments.

As you may have noticed, Urban Terror looks quite ancient. And indeed it is, the game turned 14 this year. Its gameplay and features are the result of many years of polishing and quite exactly what the players and developers want.

Realism, the strange concept that you have mentioned several times, is naught but a loyal servant to the main principle behind the gameplay that we like to call “fun”. Today’s UrT is intended to be fast and bright: you can run but you can’t hide. Features like iron sights simply do not fit this — covering your screen with your weapon would ensure nothing but a quick death because you can’t see a thing around it. And having to hold your breath to aim with a sniper rifle… well, this is the kind of game where a sniper can move faster than an Olympic sprinter, stop in a fraction of a second, shoot someone, and resume. SR8 has already been nerfed quite a bit from what it once was, going any further would truly make it useless. (And you will have plenty of time to lay down when you’re dead.)

Like Driller, I find the comment about gigantic maps puzzling. Riyadh, the largest standard map, can be crossed in 10 seconds by a mediocre jumper like me. Did you play on some weird custom map server?

The zoom thing could indeed be done better, for example by allowing you to select at which level the zoom wraps around. I zoom out by switching weapons.

For hit/kill feedback, there are sounds (game options menu, under Bullet Impact Settings).

View PostDriller, on 20 December 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

1 urt IS sliding, else you can better play any other game. Search youtube clips for... urban terror sliding sr8 or so....

Kilbith refers to the slight inertia players have. You don’t stop immediately unless you run into a wall, you slow down gradually. I find it quite subtle, especially compared to games like the first Quake:-P
dswp.de
Beginner’s Guide to Urban Terror (woefully out of date)
Daily Deadnade (Last updated September 9, 2016)

#5 User is offline   Kilbith Icon

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

Thanks all for the complete answers :)

You're right, I was a bit excessive about the maps... Although the proportions of some things (roads, stairs, etc.) seems oversized to me.

Anyhow, I didn't get the "bastard" philosophy (nothing pejorative) of UrT, which is a sort of crossbreeding between Counter-Strike, Quake III and a skateboard game and thus cannot satisfy my expectations in knowing its targets now.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   tupp Icon

• Account: tupp

Posted 21 December 2014 - 12:57 AM

I think either you will learn to love the game or it just isn't right for you. If you want slower and more tactical game play go play something like counter strike.

#7 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:43 AM

View PostKilbith, on 21 December 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Thanks all for the complete answers :)You're right, I was a bit excessive about the maps... Although the proportions of some things (roads, stairs, etc.) seems oversized to me.

The corridors, stairs, doors etc. are bigger to accommodate for the faster movement system. If they were scaled down to realistic proportions, then you wouldn't be able to get around a lot of corners when jumping. Most of the time at the higher/competitive levels (especially in CTF) people are nearly constantly moving at around 20 km/h or more, so the maps are "bigger" to give a margin for error and also make some jumps possible.

View PostKilbith, on 21 December 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

Anyhow, I didn't get the "bastard" philosophy (nothing pejorative) of UrT, which is a sort of crossbreeding between Counter-Strike, Quake III and a skateboard game and thus cannot satisfy my expectations in knowing its targets now.

I always like to describe it to others as if Quake and Counter-Strike had a child that grew up by it's uncle Mirror's Edge, but that's besides the point.
The fast and twitchy gameplay is obviously not something for everybody, so I can completely understand your point. From what I can hear you may want to look at something like Americas Army 3 (f2p), Battlefield 3/4. If that should end up being too slow, then you could look at the newest Call of Duty, as it actually is a good PC port for change. Counter-Strike is also a great game, though a bit faster and may also have some of the same issues you have with UrT.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#10 User is offline   Kilbith Icon

Posted 28 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

Hello :)

I've played daily during one week for get a better point of view of UrT... I'm starting to be accustomed with the gameplay but now some points are raising to my mind :

[*] Some assault rifles are disadvantaged compared to the G36 at middle-distance and overall, because they misses a sight scope. Thus, a sight scope should be optional and appliable to others rifles.

[*] The running bar is (too) fastly consummed, only few sprints and you're done for a boring round. The player should recuperate slowly his endurance.

[*] The 'jump+sprint' tends to deriving the trajectory of movement to the sides. That give me a strange feeling of attraction against the walls.

[*] The damages are severes. That'd be good to have some "medical" items spread here and there on the maps for regain a bit of life. The cooperation/carefulness is not that always considered between players...

[*] When another player is slightly front of you, and you're aiming like 30-50cm next to him, the crosshair remains red and you're shooting him. That's just illogic.

[*] The polar disparity of difficulties on popular servers (as far I can see). It's like choose between "hardcore/expert level" or "childish level" server.

[*] The final score board displaying is too long.

That's not an exhaustive list but besides these points, the game is pretty stable and fast for my fairly old computer :)

This post has been edited by Kilbith: 28 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942