Urban Terror Forums: [Feature Request] Combo medals and a well designed match ending screen - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[Feature Request] Combo medals and a well designed match ending screen

#22 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

Loving Frankie's idea. He took my basic wish for statistics and pushed it to something better than what I came up with.

#23 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 08 February 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

You can tell if a player is good based on numbers that are of value in combination with one another.

You can tell if a player is reallllyyyy good even if they have a off day or even tell if they are an offensive or defensive player even if their batting average is in the tank.

Better still. Stats of worth could be pushed into the game directly by giving the player the ability to edit their player card to register the kind of player they are This way at a glance a player can tell how many offensive or defensive players are on a team and since its all in game the player can update if say there is to many defensive players stats.
Frankie, this is great. It will make it easier for players to find their most viable role within a certain scenario/game.

Also this can potentially decrease a very serious problem in CTF, which is when more players is at the enemy flag, who takes it? Recently there is only 2 players I have played with where this was not a problem, Beautifulnihilist and Thirdzyo.

Which goes to show that very few pub players is able to make good decisions, they generally just mindlessly go and take the flag without paying no attention to others. So maybe these statistics can be enough guidance to make them realize "Maybe I'll should let that player take the flag, their very fast. It probably be better if I provide cover instead".

#24 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 30 January 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 07 February 2015 - 04:37 AM, said:

Well I'm not all that keen with the idea of in game meta gaming additions inside a FPS. Works well in a MMO but not so much in an FPS as the "collecting" of rewards can become a distraction of the game and purpose of what is expected from fellow members on the team and more so if they know that they can collect "points" where it's a know effect that part of the members of the team are off cheating the points to fill up their score card

This is something that I've seen occur in Team Fortress 2 where there are servers that focus on just having players log in and cheat rewards.

It's a slippery slop as rewards could shape game play behavior in a manner in which a player would not behave as part of the over all idea of helping the team win the match and could become a distraction of what needs to be done keeping in mind that Urban Terror is an easy game to learn but hard to master.

Good idea in 1999 but to many players are into collecting for no other reason to collect that once had some kind of worth and meaning can get to the point of not meaning much being rewarded by skill.

Not to say there is no place for them in UrT but they need to be of value that is acquired by typical game play. Head Shots = in game behavior that could be accumulated but a reward for the Trifecta is a distraction.

But

Since UE4 does support in game HTML there is the opportunity to reward using the good old player card idea. The idea is you could click on a player and receive an up to date player card full of stats of all things they done since day one. The reward is kept on the individual level where your stats for mending is higher than someone else and the player can prove it and be reward with bragging rights which is what all this badge stuff is all about.

To me this seems a better fit with Urban Terror that rewards players based on their typical game play behavior that shows up on their player card with out the need to provided a number as a reflection of the total score necessary to win the match.

So

I got to ask does it really matter that your effort shows up in the final score or would your total effort over time be A) more fun and B) more meaningful?

LOL

This says it all

http://www.collegehu...ox-achievements

I think I prefer temporary stats which are relative to the performances in the map. Wouldn't this be more accurate and fulfil the purpose of stats in every way? Especially when compared with the (perhaps unrealistic ideal of being able to show the quality of play over a period of time. If a player develops over the course of their play, I imagine they would have another account where they 'main' for the purpose of getting stats if the reward was good enough... or perhaps simply to have a better representation of their play, making their player card sort of like a resume...

If it's possible to abuse, then it defeats the purpose entirely and I would say that if this is the case stats should have as little relevance to the gameplay experience as possible. Not because they aren't fun, but because they SHOULD be relative to what is occurring in the present moment... not who I played with last year or even last map... it can only have a negative effect on gameplay, as I imagine players will play MUCH more selfishly and make the game less fun for others and have less fun themselves. By having added pressure to play selfishly, the odds that each player should have the same pleasant experience with the game and the community that I did will be considerably diminished. This I don't like to think about.

Virtually the only upside is that players who care about stats and hope to learn to play competitively will have greater reason to be consistent in their play and develop self-discipline to do so... maybe they'll have a separate 'fun' account :P.

Of course, match-making would solve this problem rather quickly. I don't like that it changes the feel of the game any better than you do but it is perhaps what is best :x ah, I see the position you are in.

I will add that I've had the most fun in this game when I chose to try to play competitively precisely because it is arranged in a fun sort of way...it still has a personal feel to it where everything is a matter of will, like naturally noticing and admiring the scenery (hard work) of something someone has built in Minecraft rather than simply pushing a button to join queue. By allowing more opportunities for players to create and to think in terms of being able to contribute to the community, the better the experience and the feel of the game :). To let a computer do it makes it seem less personal... if UrT was a meal, it would feel that much closer to a frozen dinner than a home-cooked Shepard's pie :P

When I say I see the position you are in, I mean I think kids and young people coming from other shittier games which offer a piece of UrT at the heart of mindless killing and destruction are going to see whatever FPS game they are playing in UrT. This is, until they get enough experience playing it to be able to appreciate it and recognize it's integrity by contrast (despite it still being a game about shooting people). I understand we need to find a balance between satisfying their lust for stats (*shakes fist* damn you other games) and presenting the (dare I say, as a 4.x noob) the original experience. Let me know if I can help! :))

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 03 February 2017 - 07:58 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 03 February 2017 - 01:59 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 03 February 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Well the good news is we have improved our licensing requirements as to 3rd party submissions which is compatible with the terms and conditions of our use of the Unreal 4 engine. Unlike the use of the idtech3 engine we can now except a lot of assets and resources that we could not do under EULA as to the demand that all assets became the property of Frozen Sand.

In the area of content submissions this is huge as it is now possible to accept content donations under Creative Commons Zero provision with out exclusions as to what we can do with the works and at the same time the provider maintains full copyrights to the original work.

Cool! Have there been any donations so far that are going to make it into the game?

#28 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:06 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 03 February 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Well Urban Terror is built on the nuts and bolts of community effort since forever and the only difference between then and now is to make it easier for those to contribute with out the need to join the team as a full member. The first batch of assets to meet the licensing requirements for inclusion is the current map conversions where we have access to the original build assets that we are making use of and in exchange the map maker will maintain full credit and rights to the original works.

I really like how Turnpike looks, I worry that it's a little intense now :P but I will have to wait and see!

#29 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 03 February 2017 - 08:00 AM, said:

Well Urban Terror is built on the nuts and bolts of community effort since forever and the only difference between then and now is to make it easier for those to contribute with out the need to join the team as a full member. The first batch of assets to meet the licensing requirements for inclusion is the current map conversions where we have access to the original build assets that we are making use of and in exchange the map maker will maintain full credit and rights to the original works.

So have there been contributions made in the past outside of map design by anyone who is not a FS member? Model-wise? I believe I still have Mitsubishi's build :P

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 03 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942