• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Turnpike mod Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

• Account: extra1

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

Hi guy's

I've seen a turnpike mod map today was just wondering if it was legal have not heard from or seen wu in ages..

The sr8 weapon is modded as i understand it the weapons assets are not allowed to be altered or used as a model in mapmaking.

http://www.mediafire...npike_sr.b2.pk3

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Extra1: 27 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

#2 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:48 AM

You are correct. Both the modding of any existing maps and in-game assets is a violation of the copyright held by the creators of those assets unless they include a licence with those assets which states otherwise. In most cases, FS is not the one holding the copyright and it is up to the original designer/copyright owner, who was a part of the FS team, to go after anyone who is violating their copyrighted materials. In some cases I have seen FS issue Takedown notices to people who attempt to distribute modified zpacks with custom assets.

Anyway, what you see above is illegal and should not be done, However it is up to FS or the copyright owner to enforce their rights and stop mods like this.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 27 April 2015 - 06:51 AM

#3 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

Posted 27 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

K just wanted to make sure thanks.

#4 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 27 April 2015 - 07:22 AM

To be perfectly honest, I'm not totally sure on how the copyright of the assets works when it comes to weapons and gloves and the like. Technically, if someone created their own custom texture and shader for a weapon without touching the original shader or texture it would be hard to claim a copyright violation. Technically you are using your own created files and you use them in such a way that the game chooses your custom texture over the texture that the original creator used. In that case you did not modify ANY FS assets, and are simply using the way the game loads assets to load your texture on top of the original.

However modding a map is for sure a copyright infringement. Unless they re-created the map completely by hand and used their own textures etc and changed enough things that the map would be no longer considered the work of the original copyright holder.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 27 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

#5 User is offline   mathieu Icon

• Account: mathieu
  • Main tag: [KzH]

Posted 27 April 2015 - 09:39 AM

Well, it look like it's my ut4_turnpike_sr.b2 there :laugh:

The reason why i've add these fancy stuff is just that i like it and it's unique compared to other ut4_turnpike.

even if i've added these fancy sheet on turnpike, no one can dowload it because it's not a map edited in gtkradiant nor anything/

'bout the mod, well FS allow iirc so i guess i'm okay with it as long as i don't make any trouble with anything FS has ownership.

for now if the original map maker (which isn't here anymore) just back or get echo from it and would like me to disable it, he can just hit my profile and send me a pm i'd retire it for his conveniance.

Greeting,

-aCen.Mathieu-

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 01:26 AM

View Postmathieu, on 27 April 2015 - 09:39 AM, said:

for now if the original map maker (which isn't here anymore) just back or get echo from it and would like me to disable it, he can just hit my profile and send me a pm i'd retire it for his conveniance.

Greeting,

-aCen.Mathieu-

Hey guy's..

Perhaps im mistaken but you have to ask permission before altering anyone's map right?
Or can i just start altering maps from inactive mappers and just wait until they contact me?

If thats the case would be nice :D

This post has been edited by Extra1: 28 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

#8 User is offline   Ntr Icon

• Account: ntr

Posted 28 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

It's a little worrying someone who is in the QA team doesn't knows these things.
And on top of that that SR8 skin looks idiotic, zero effort put into making a proper skin.
If you want to modify a map, take the layout and build it from scratch, pick a new theme and show what you know. Any fool can make a purple SR8 skin.

#10 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

Posted 28 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

@ntr

You are right i wanted to have a uptown style map (vertical game play).
I could have used uptown for it but build it from scratch now i can say I have something made that is original: ut4_nuketown_b1

Really weird that a QA member puts out something that has no quality at all.

I mean it looks cool and was thinking about running it But if its not legal no point in running it.
QA members should be setting an example not bend the rules to accommodate their own wishes.

If you have any Pride in being QA member you drop the map if you only have pride and big ego you keep running it.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942