• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where do people play? Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

• Account: extra1

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:17 PM

Hi Guy's

I admit 4.1 has a lot of problems and you more than clearly solved most of them today in the current version (Good Job Team)
(cheating solved N1)

But tell me now that 4.1 was not the most populair version yet with the higest amount of population.
(regardless of your personal opinion or like/dislike)

You got rid of the bad in 4.1 yes but the best parts you did not keep or (where lost) you know what im talking about when i say the player movement can be improved.
This is the main reason why 4.1 still has population it looks awsome.

This post has been edited by Extra1: 30 May 2015 - 08:11 PM

#22 User is offline   t3slider Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: t3slider
  • Main tag:

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostNitro, on 29 May 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

and that would be your OPINION.. in mine there where far too many problems with 4.1 not to mention all the cheaters since 4.2 came alone the number of permbans and admins required to monitor a server has dropped drastically (probably because its far easier to go use known hacks on 4.1 than to create or buy private ones for 4.2)

The number of cheaters may have dropped ever so slightly but it's not night and day as you describe. There have still been multiple working hacks for every version of 4.2, many of which are used in the wild.

View PostNitro, on 29 May 2015 - 12:12 PM, said:

I cant tell you the number of times servers would crash on 4.1 so much so that I ended up writing my own automated script to monitor the server and restart it when it crashed and restart it daily (yes because there was another bug in the server that caused issues over 24 hours of continuous uptime).

4.1 crashed, 4.2 crashes. No difference here.

View PostBladeKiller, on 29 May 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

View PostBRAVO, on 29 May 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

Most of maps are not made to play with more than 16 players in server, it starts ruinning gamemode turning BM into some kind of campy TS and CTF in some kind of TDM, it also ruins gameplay, it's almost imposible not to block others/be blocked and rush when 10 other players spawned in front of you in a tight spawn.

I almost stoped playing in one of my favourite servers as it became very popular and it's 32 slots, i wonder why server owner doesn't make it 2 servers 16 slots each one... as playing in a crowded server is horrible and boring.

This is one of the most sensible posts I've seen in a long time. The game design includes the game play and not just performance. Game play designed for 6 vs 6, in fact. We never had to limit the slots in the past because server admins and players wanted a good playing experience and not to be so overcrowded on a map that they could barely move. If you want this experience run a small 2 vs 2 map with 16 slots.

With the massive drop in player numbers, it seems that the smaller servers just don't get used. All that's needed is a 16-slot server that is usually full so people can play any time they want and still get this Edenic game that you pine for. But despite these servers existing, they are little-used. So you can continue blaming server operators for making servers with other settings exist (though it's not like they're forcing anyone to play in them) or continue blaming players for not understanding what is in their own best interests, but ultimately the majority of the playerbase you have has decided that they want to play in busier servers. You can either enforce slot limitations (which will basically kill the remaining UrT 4.x holdouts) or adapt to the clear desires of the majority and accept that people want to play on servers with more than 16 players. You can do whatever you want with HD but any change in 4.x isn't magically going to restore the game to the 'good old days' where there were only 16 slots maximum and the servers were still full of players.

TL;DR: Adapt or die. Accept or alienate. (Or just continue whining because things didn't go your way, I guess.)

This post has been edited by t3slider: 31 May 2015 - 03:57 PM

#23 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:41 AM

To answer to original question where do people play?

They play 4.1 and some versions on 4.x.x (most on 4.23)
You dont get a complete picture when looking at one version.

Before you can adapt or accept you have to understand the root of the problem.
This is due to the dev. team personal opinions and like's/dislike's but in order to know the public opinion and accept it you have to be objective and leave personal feelings aside otherwise have fun owning each other in private the way you guy's like it.

#24 User is offline   BRAVO Icon

• Account: bravo

Posted 01 June 2015 - 12:53 AM

View Postt3slider, on 31 May 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

With the massive drop in player numbers, it seems that the smaller servers just don't get used. All that's needed is a 16-slot server that is usually full so people can play any time they want and still get this Edenic game that you pine for. But despite these servers existing, they are little-used. So you can continue blaming server operators for making servers with other settings exist (though it's not like they're forcing anyone to play in them) or continue blaming players for not understanding what is in their own best interests, but ultimately the majority of the playerbase you have has decided that they want to play in busier servers. You can either enforce slot limitations (which will basically kill the remaining UrT 4.x holdouts) or adapt to the clear desires of the majority and accept that people want to play on servers with more than 16 players. You can do whatever you want with HD but any change in 4.x isn't magically going to restore the game to the 'good old days' where there were only 16 slots maximum and the servers were still full of players.

TL;DR: Adapt or die. Accept or alienate. (Or just continue whining because things didn't go your way, I guess.)

I do not agree with what you say, because it's not what UrT players who stay/ed playing this game want or ever wanted, 32+ slot servers are just a few, and not "the majority of playersbase" as those servers are mostly filled by 3rd world country players who don't have the money to buy a computer which can run battlefild, they come and go, can't even be called a "playerbase" in my opinion, as it's just ppl trying the game (and leaving it, because of the bad gaming experience in a crowded server perhaps), plus, there are still (compared with +32 player servers) many well admined 16P servers with solid communities/playerbae behind.

You also say "UrT must adapt", let me ask you..., adapt to what?, to something already exist?, to become a different game?, imagine developers start creating maps to be played on 64 player server..., ok..., then we will need jeeps, planes and tanks to move on such a fkn massive map, and that's not UrT man, that's battlefield, and ppl who wants to play battlefield should go to play battlefild and stop trying to turn UrT into battlefield.

PD: It bugs me a bit you are here talking about "how UrT should be", but you'v got 0 hours played... so...

This post has been edited by BRAVO: 01 June 2015 - 12:57 AM

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE

I KILL PEOPLE

#25 User is offline   Extra1 Icon

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:35 AM

Hi guy's
Just to be clear im talking about the general public opinion not my own.

I personally think 4.23 is good even if the player dies and look a little like a folding lawn chair or when it jumps it looks like it has frog legs.

And regarding the post above;

The noob player who has just installed urt is going to have to first set it up right else he or she will indeed find a more quiet server on the general i do think that is how most players start i know i did back in the day on paladin warriors ctf with 2 bots but my 1,6ghz laptop wasnt great even on that 16 slot limited server.

After some hardware upgrades they dicided that snipers should be banned on the server never saw anyone on that server since.
The new player will certainly find it a challenge to go on a full 32 slots server without bots but without for the regular players there will be none.

This post has been edited by Extra1: 01 June 2015 - 01:36 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942