Urban Terror Forums: Need some help with my first Server on a VPS. - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1

Need some help with my first Server on a VPS. Rate Topic: -----

Help!

#1 User is offline   Raupao Icon

• Account: raupao

Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:47 AM

Hey everyone! I recently rented a VPS, a pretty good one by the looks of it, but I am completely baffled as to how to configure everything. I handle server.cfg's pretty well, but I noticed Im supposed to do everything from the console, and I don't even know a single Ubuntu command :(. Are there any guides or a helpful person willing to lend me a hand?
Thanks!

#2 User is offline   bluewormx Icon

• Account: bluewormx

Posted 15 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

You need to learn Unix CLI (command line interface). there are many tutorials give it a quick search.
Basically each command is a program in it self with options and modifiers.
You also need to learn Unix file structure and ownerships.

To access your remote machine you need to connect via "ssh".
To upload files to it you will need to use "scp".
These of course if you are using linux, if using windows client you will need to use putty.

Once you have copied the UrbanTerror directory to your home directory you can manually start the dedicated server. You will really need to setup a system service to automate this and to periodically restart the dedicated server.

I really can't help much more since I haven't run a dedicated urbanterror server in over ten years.

Why dou you want to run a server? As far a I can tell there are more servers at present than active players!
One more or less good reason would be geografical location, but if your in Europe or North America...
Good luck :-)

This post has been edited by bluewormx: 15 August 2015 - 08:40 AM

#3 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Welcome to the wonderful wide world of Linux!

Bluewormx is correct about the basics, However, I will go ahead and write a quick novel that should explain all the basics of how the linux Command Line Interface works.

Your first step will be to log into your server using SSH. Since you are very unfamiliar with the Linux Command Line Interface (CLI) I will assume that your main computer runs widows.

Before you can take that first step of logging in, you will need to download a program that will allow you to connect to your server. PuTTY is a very good choice for this. I would suggest installing the full PuTTY suite. You can download the installer HERE. You should download and install the one that says "A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel". This will give you everything you need for accessing and doing stuff on your server.

Next you will need to connect and log in. You will basically need to set up the connection settings in PuTTY according to whatever your VPS Provider tells you. I would suggest either looking for their help menu, or calling them and asking them to help you set up PuTTY. Most are very friendly and will be more than willing to help you with this process.

Now that you can log in, you are left with a little blinking underscore. This is the linux CLI. Basically everything you will ever do in the CLI is a program of some sort. Everything you will do with these programs is mostly based around editing files, and then moving from one folder to another. Lets first take a look at the file system.

The linux command line is all about navigating from folder to folder and then either running programs or editing text files. That is almost everything that goes on when you use the CLI. The first thing to understand is that you are ALWAYS inside a folder (in linux we call these "Directories". They are pretty much exactly the same thing as a file folder in windows). In linux, EVERYTHING needed to make linux work is held as files within what we call the "Directory Tree." Windows has a directory tree as well. Go open your C: drive and look at all the folders in there. That is a directory tree. You have the main drive, and then folders inside the drive, and then folders inside those folders, and if you were to draw it all out in a diagram, it would look a lot like a tree. Hence the name.

The linux Directory tree works a bit different than windows. Instead of opening a specific hard drive like opening the C: drive in windows, every single file and directory is all contained inside the "Root" of the directory tree. We call this the "root directory". Inside the root folder there is a standard set of other directories.

Now like I said before, when using the CLI you are always inside a directory. You can run a command to change what directory you are in (like changing what folder you are viewing in Microsoft Explorer), but you are always working inside some directory on your linux machine. We call this the "working directory". Whatever directory you are currently in, that is your "working directory."

One of the first useful things you can do in the CLI is to list all of the files and directories in your current working directory. So lets take a quick look at what linux commands/programs are and how we can use them to view the linux directory tree.

Linux has a command called "ls" (short for "List"). The sole purpose of this command is to list the files and directories that are inside any directory you specify. If you don't specify any directory, then it will simply display all the files and directories inside your working directory. All you need to do to run this program is type "ls" and then hit enter. Now I have been calling this a program which is technically correct, however most people would instead call it a "command". In the linux CLI, those two things are pretty much interchangeable.

Another command is "cd" (short for "change directory"). This can be used to change your working directory. Another command is "pwd" (short for "print working directory"). This can be used to figure out what directory you are currently in.

Using these three commands, you can pretty easily start snooping around the linux directory tree and view all the files and directories.

Now the linux directory tree is quite simple to navigate. It works very similar to website URL's. The root directory which contains everything is denoted by a single forward slash "/". If you wanted to reference a directory inside that root directory then you would simply type the name of the directory and then end it with another slash. So the directory named "home" inside the root directory would be called "/home/"

now lets say there is a directory called "KroniK" inside the /home/ directory. That would be shown as "/home/KroniK/". Now these examples I am giving you are known as "absolute paths". This is because they start with the root directory. There is another way of displaying these directories called "relative paths". A relative path is a path starting from the current working directory instead of the root directory. So lets say we are in the "/home/" directory. If I wanted to show the relative path to the KroniK directory, I would use "KroniK/". Notice that there is no slash at the very beginning. If I had said "/KroniK/" That would indicate an absolute path because you are saying that there is a directory called "KroniK" that is in the root directory.

This is all kinda confusing, so I hope you are understanding so far.

So lets combine the knowledge of linux commands and the way the directory tree works. So lets say we want to move our working directory to the root directory. Then we would need to use the "cd" command. However in order to use the "cd" command we need to give it a directory to change to. Since we want to go to the root directory we would simply run: "cd /"

Its literally that simple. So lets say we want to change directory to the KroniK directory I mentioned before. For that we would run "cd /home/KroniK/". Now you are working inside the KroniK directory. Now, for these first two I have only used "absolute paths". lets try using a relative path. lets say we are currently in the "home" directory and we would like to change to the KroniK directory. You could EITHER run "cd /home/KroniK/" which is the same as before, or you could use a relative path by running "cd KroniK/". The /home/ part is implied because we are already working inside that directory.

Lets quick imagine you had Urban Terror installed in the KroniK directory.

This means to access your server.cfg file, you would need to "cd /home/KroniK/UrbanTerror/q3ut4/". now lets imagine we are already inside the "KroniK" directory and we want to change to the "q3ut4" directory. typing out that full directory path is a real workout. instead we could use the relative path and run "cd UrbanTerror/q3ut4/". That way I only had to type the names of the directories that are inside my working directory.

Once you get comfortable moving around the file system, you can then start to take a look at what is inside files. lets say you wanted to open the server.cfg file I mentioned above. First you would need to figure out what text editing program your system has. Most come with a user friendly text editor called "nano." So to open and edit that server.cfg using nano, you would want to run "nano /home/KroniK/UrbanTerror/q3ut4/server.cfg"

This will open up that file and let you edit the contents.

Overall, that is the basics of using the CLI. There is WAY more that I didn't cover, but this should get you started. Google is your friend, and you should probably start by googling what the "man" command is xD

Feel free to reply here or PM me if you have questions.

This post has been edited by KroniK: 18 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942