Whats up with Urban Terror?

#11 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 14 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

Welcome back Xrandr,

View PostXrandr, on 13 May 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

- The Quake 3 engine can run on almost anything and at the same moment it's the most real feeling physics environment (strafe jumping... real? I know.)

I feel the exact same way when it comes to quake's circle-jump, or Urt's jump. I think the moves you do with your mouse recalls of many IRL physics.
Circle jumping in Urt is like drifting with a car, in Quake it's like the step back you do before sprinting, I would even suggest the hand sling weapon. But I'm totally off topic.

#12 User is offline   nakedassassin Icon

Posted 21 November 2016 - 01:09 AM

View PostXrandr, on 13 May 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

I've been away from UrT for a few years, now I'm back. Working too much and not having the right computer kept me. I've been on-and-off for a long time. I started when Docks was the rage, I think shortly after the whole mod was introduced.

What separates Urban Terror from anything I've ever played are just a few things:

- Tactical nature: The speed and precision in this game combined with the engine are just killer. Cover two city blocks in 5 seconds, pull 180 and snipe someone 80 yards away. That's fun. I turn my graphics capabilities down for smoother gameplay because I despise latency. For me this game is about quick thinking/tactics. Counterstrike bored me from day one. The speed is important.

- The Quake 3 engine can run on almost anything and at the same moment it's the most real feeling physics environment (strafe jumping... real? I know.) I've ever enjoyed playing on. When Q3 came out it sat beside Unreal but for me in terms of "general real feeling" it just kills nearly everything. I think the fact that this game is still being played today actively all damn day from what I can see are fantastic, and I know why. Do you see anybody playing Unreal mods today still... I may be mistaken there but feel free to correct me.

- Latency: The web is unpredictable, lag/latency are the enemy of true merit in gaming at this point IMO and a lightweight engine and game make UrT/Q3 super desirable.

Not that I want it to happen but I'm surprised (happily maybe) that the government hasn't offered to fund UrT development because of the tactical movement especially but just tactical quick thinking the game can teach people. Laugh that I'm saying a game is very useful in every day life but I'm not.

After getting back into the game recently I saw this post and wanted to stop in and blather for a bit. This game is far from dead, at least for me.

I was previously known as {EmS} Dillinger for the haters out there who'd like to piss on my e-grave. I do hope Naked Assassin is still playing somewhere in the tubes today, and EditGuy, Vollknilch? Who knows, see you in my scope.

Dillinger you hacker. How the hell are you. Send me a PM :P

#13 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:58 PM

View PostDark-knight, on 27 October 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

They are all still bitter and are still playing 4.1. I think there are around 300+ people still playing 4.1 and I honestly (now) don't see the difference between 4.1 and 4.3 at this point in time. the gameplay is exactly the same now.

4.3 Born with the Soul of 4.1.1

#14 User is offline   wenieo Icon

• Account: wenieo

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:47 AM

Is there going to be a playable alpha any time soon?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   wenieo Icon

• Account: wenieo

Posted 03 January 2017 - 04:00 AM

I'm subscribed to your youtube channel Frankie V, its cool to see how similar physics wise it has come, while looking pretty good with UE4.

I think this release is going to be a really great thing for the community as a whole. Yeah my p3 laptop cant play it anymore BUT you will have the Steam community, where a good free game can seriously take off. The UE4 is a great choice too because of its support for dx12 and vulkan. If you want a general idea of how UE4 plays p2p download the pre-alpha of Unreal Tournament 4. I am enjoying it. And also might give you an example of the type of machine needed to run the engine well.

#17 User is offline   Dunadan Icon

• Account: dunadan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'm back after about 10 years. Teenagers and new little ones will do that. This game is still as fun as it always was back in the day. I recently built a new gaming rig (tired of trying to play games with a controller on XBox) and tried COD, Overwatch, etc. They just don't have what UrT always had. I just wish there were a few more people playing, and playing Team Survivor. I'll be watching closely for what comes next, and playing on the few servers I can find.

One question...is the in game server finder the only way to find UrT games now? The old days of Gamespy and GameFinder are gone?

Dunadan[TTSOM]

#18 User is offline   costanza Icon

• Account: costanza

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:06 PM

View PostDunadan, on 16 January 2017 - 05:19 PM, said:

I'm back after about 10 years. Teenagers and new little ones will do that. This game is still as fun as it always was back in the day. I recently built a new gaming rig (tired of trying to play games with a controller on XBox) and tried COD, Overwatch, etc. They just don't have what UrT always had. I just wish there were a few more people playing, and playing Team Survivor. I'll be watching closely for what comes next, and playing on the few servers I can find.

One question...is the in game server finder the only way to find UrT games now? The old days of Gamespy and GameFinder are gone?

Dunadan[TTSOM]

If you go onto the UrbanTerror IRC channel you may be able to find pick up games there. Also, there are teams that hang out on TeamSpeak channels that organize scrims once in awhile between clans. Though you would probably have to ring for a team if they were short a man or two. Other than that its the servers and waiting for Resurgence. I wish we had a release date for a playable alpha.

#19 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 17 January 2017 - 10:45 PM

there also is a discord server, which quite possibly is more active than irc.

\edit iye: made link clickable. (i always forget the BB code insists on protocol - as it should)

This post has been edited by Iye: 18 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#20 User is offline   Dunadan Icon

• Account: dunadan

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:18 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'll check those options out.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942