• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Converting ut4_swim (the bath)

#21 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:12 AM

Oh, I totally agree on that, tintir, but I was referring to this post.

View Poststabberthomas, on 18 January 2016 - 08:34 PM, said:

Well, what map would you like me to convert instead? . . .

Swim isn't really on my wishlist for older maps to be included in HD. Turnpike, Abbey, Uptown and Casa are already well on their way, but maps like Algiers, Sanctuary, Prague, Austria, Kingdom and more are to me a must.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#22 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:18 PM

I'd love to see a HD remake and improved version of Toxic :)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#23 User is offline   Driller Icon

•   community admin   
  • Account: driller
  • Main tag: uJ|

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

Anyway, some popular maps will be rebuild from scratch for urtHD by community members. Not a big deal. Will FS protect the original urt_map by blocking a 'illegal' conversion of a urtHD_map? Will they block in urtHD a community map called urthd_sanc if thats a copy of the original without rights? If you cant contact the original mapper and dont have the rights for it, then the community can just make a copy imo. Most mappers who arent active anymore will be happy and honored with it, as long as you put their name/credits in the map somewhere. But thats how i would feel if i had made a very popular map, i would expect the community to take over when i was gone, after all its the community who plays it and give the map its life, if they still wanna play that old map on a new engine, why mot? You made the map to be played, and i doubt any mapper makes a map to be played only for urt2.0 or whatever. Some 3.x maps with quaketextures got new textures for 4.x and that was not done by the mapper. How many of those mappers were angry and outraged?

#25 User is offline   killspree Icon

• Account: killspree
  • Main tag: ds`

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Are there any maps we can work on, maps that have no rights and can be converted for HD?

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   KroniK Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: kronik

Posted 23 January 2016 - 03:40 AM

View Postkillspree, on 22 January 2016 - 09:32 PM, said:

Are there any maps we can work on, maps that have no rights and can be converted for HD?

The one in your head! Seriously!!

Start by designing a layout. Try and imagine how the general layout would be played on each game mode. Would your layout work best as a CTF map? Maybe better as a bomb map?

Then try and find a way to balance each side without making the map symmetrical. You need to make each team have several places where they have an advantage, and several places where they are at a disadvantage, and usually one or two lanes where they are on fairly equal ground. Think about bomb placement. Make sure that the bombsite can be defended, but is not a fortress, same with flag locations for CTF.

Once you think you have a good layout, think about the atmosphere. What kind of environment do you want to convey? Go online and do a bunch of research. Find tons of images that match the aesthetics of the map you want to build, and look through them as you are building your map. Reference images are invaluable when trying to create an environment.

Then once you have a basic concept of the theme and the layout, build a very rough version, and test it out with some friends. It's through this playing that you will find places where players can snipe where they shouldn't, places that are too easy to camp in, and more.

Then once you are pretty happy with the basic rough draft, make it as pretty as you can. That part never goes away. You can always add more detail, and you are only done when you decide to be.

For UrTHD, converted maps will be nice, but its in the NEW maps that HD will shine. We need more new maps and new designs, and we need people like you and me to be the ones to make them!

#27 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:29 AM

View PostKroniK, on 23 January 2016 - 03:40 AM, said:

The one in your head! Seriously!!

Start by designing a layout. Try and imagine how the general layout would be played on each game mode. Would your layout work best as a CTF map? Maybe better as a bomb map?

Then try and find a way to balance each side without making the map symmetrical. You need to make each team have several places where they have an advantage, and several places where they are at a disadvantage, and usually one or two lanes where they are on fairly equal ground. Think about bomb placement. Make sure that the bombsite can be defended, but is not a fortress, same with flag locations for CTF.

Once you think you have a good layout, think about the atmosphere. What kind of environment do you want to convey? Go online and do a bunch of research. Find tons of images that match the aesthetics of the map you want to build, and look through them as you are building your map. Reference images are invaluable when trying to create an environment.

Then once you have a basic concept of the theme and the layout, build a very rough version, and test it out with some friends. It's through this playing that you will find places where players can snipe where they shouldn't, places that are too easy to camp in, and more.

Then once you are pretty happy with the basic rough draft, make it as pretty as you can. That part never goes away. You can always add more detail, and you are only done when you decide to be.

For UrTHD, converted maps will be nice, but its in the NEW maps that HD will shine. We need more new maps and new designs, and we need people like you and me to be the ones to make them!

+1 brother, too much people don't want to move on!
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#30 User is offline   baex Icon

• Account: baex

Posted 23 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

View Postdynomite33, on 19 January 2016 - 02:13 AM, said:

>MFW people hating on Swim

>greentexting on urbanterror.info

viva la revolution

This post has been edited by baeX: 23 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostNounou, on 01 December 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Hey I love you baex, but also, consider that i'm drunk

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942