• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Movement Update

#21 User is offline   Swiiitan Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: swiiitan
  • Main tag: wG*

Posted 24 January 2016 - 03:42 AM

Crux this will create new ways of making maps, new ways of jumping, don't call it too easy, find new ways of making hard jumps with this feature instead ;)
Ingame: Swiiitan
Clan: **Saft

#24 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostZenity, on 23 January 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

Exactly Ikslorin.

Sorry to pretty have you redo your earlier answer to SilverFoxZ, as that conversation was going while I wrote that post. I didn't check for new posts in the meantime.

View PostZenity, on 23 January 2016 - 10:51 PM, said:

The difficulty is that changing direction in Quake physics makes you go faster (simplification, but you know what I mean)... so to balance it so that it's flexible enough but doesn't allow you to accelerate faster than circle jumping (and still is fun) is not so straightforward.

Well, changing values to nail the desired mechanic takes time, but the designplan behind it seems very promising.

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#25 User is offline   Fenix Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: fenix

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

Wall running is a feature that is being implemented since years now. I remember myself and Gsigms working on the wall running code for months a couple of years ago, but the feature was never released because QA tests proved the game was feeling odd and the combo movements (walljumping, wallrunning, sliding etc) were just getting too complicated (and we had quite good players testing the feature). I'm wondering why FS changed their mind on the matter... Posted Image

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#27 User is offline   zietsh Icon

• Account: zietsh
  • Main tag: [dswp]

Posted 24 January 2016 - 12:25 PM

Would vaulting give a substantial speed advantage over pressing the jump button 2 times?
Or would it only be useful in situations where a jump over an obstacle would mean hitting your head?
As its an obvious disadvantage that you cannot shoot while vaulting as it seems(?).

Of course the upwards boost resulting from ledge-climbing plus vaulting is cool.
Wall running should be a cool addition but I think it should result in a bigger stamina loss than normal sprinting, but therefore give the ability to run upwards.In practice giving you the possibility to escape a sticky situation where the ones trying to kill you might have to take a longer way or cannot follow you directly as a result of the stamina loss.
Or some weird combo where you run up a wall to come flying down on your opponent that just entered a bombsite (timing got to be right though).

#28 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:13 PM

Just make sure all of these new movements have associated stamina costs.

There should be a decision making process for players when weighing the cost of performing a new movement technique vs the benefit of getting to a particular location faster. Every single one of these movements should have stamina costs :)

The only thing I don't like is the up ramp movement.

#29 User is offline   Nounou Icon

•   former FS member   
    Concept Artist
  • Account: nounou

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

View PostFenix, on 24 January 2016 - 11:46 AM, said:

Wall running is a feature that is being implemented since years now. I remember myself and Gsigms working on the wall running code for months a couple of years ago, but the feature was never released because QA tests proved the game was feeling odd

Absolutely it felt a bit out of place. Also the leveldesign was not helping.

I'll add again that wallrun does not feel like Titan Fall the way Zenity made it; It already feels natural, & makes sense. It is still more efficient to walljump in most case in my opinion - correct me if I'm wrong Zenity but wallrun does not boost your speed.
You can compare it to plasmaclimb in Quake, in the way that if you want to get this vertical curve as long as possible (because you're falling while doing it) you need a decent speed first or you'll use it for a sec before going down, so I can't see how to abuse of that now.
You feel that gravity & initial speed is really taken into consideration unlike Titan Fall or COD. You're not a scripted magnet like he said.

It is nice to try new moves before any future original leveldesigns and not the opposite, unlike usual in Urt.

#30 User is offline   crux Icon

• Account: crux

Posted 24 January 2016 - 02:51 PM

View PostZenity, on 24 January 2016 - 03:43 AM, said:

Ok, I'm listening.

Ok, I stopped listening.

Seriously though... Urban Terror has always been about movement and parkour. Wall running belongs in Urban Terror. It does not belong in Titanfall or CoD, who only added it because their players got tired of the same old shit. If you think that has anything to do with why we are adding wall running, you are completely mistaken.

Wall running isn't easy mode. It makes certain jumps a lot easier of course, but it also makes harder jumps possible and mastering them will be even more challenging than mastering wall jumps alone. For jump maps it adds a lot of depth, and can easily be disabled/avoided in places where jumps are more interesting without.

I always recommend this game to all my contacts, I never said that Urt is Cod or Titanfall, I only said that wallrun system is similar and I dont like, especially in frag maps.

If u can put that system only in jumps maps, perfect. New way for new jump maps and new type of jumping.

Im not trying to offend you, im glad that you continue working in this awesome game, im just posting my disagrees, just opinions bro.

Like in my last post, this is my favourite game, and I will play and pay for it with everything new that bring.

PD: Excuse my english.

PD2: Im still remember the good Urt times, with clanbase and urbanzone, that epic wars in IRC, the fantastic community, and the 3000 hours that I spend in this game to be someone. Im still crying, memories... Thanks Frozen Sand, hope someday this times return.

This post has been edited by crux: 24 January 2016 - 02:56 PM

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942