• You cannot reply to this topic

[4.3] changes to sv_pure

an idea about changing sv_pure behaviour and allowing custom menus

#1 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:04 AM

As i already posted somewhere, from what i understand, 4.3 has had changes to the sv_pure checks.
What i mean by that is that 4.3 allows custom crosshairs. They must be supplied in a .pk3, in the correct folders, and listed in a modified urbanterror.crosshair, which is part of the official game pk3s (=>click me)

For me this implies that it is either possible to exclude directories or packages only containing specific directories from the pure check.
That got me thinking that it would be possible to do similar things to the either the /ui/ directory, which would allow custom user menus, or at least to the menus.txt, which would allow "userskins" to be loaded after playing on a pure server. right now you can set the cvar that stores with menus.txt should be used, but it appears to be either unused, or denied by the fact that the modded pk3 isnt loaded because you played on a pure server.

Imo this feature would open up a lot of possibilities, without doing any hard. because TBH the "worst" thing you could do with it (as a, well, hacker) would be turning the scoreboard outline pink.

Such a feature could even be extended to allow custom skins on weapons or players, which then again because debatable, because of a) the copy right(someone built that model and textured/colored it and obviously holds ownership to it), and b) the fact that coloring an enemy neon pink might give you an advantage, but then again, you can already do that.

//TL;DR:
feature request to allow custom menus (and possibly custom player/weaponskins)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#2 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 25 April 2016 - 03:49 PM

I added it to the list of good suggestions.

#3 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

View PostBiddle, on 25 April 2016 - 03:49 PM, said:

I added it to the list of good suggestions.

just reading through that list, it would also allow for custom killsounds and similar things.

Also, some of the requests that arent already stroke out are already in the game. (see my post in the suggestions thread for that)

#4 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

Correct, thanks for the posts.

#5 User is offline   Makeurtgreatagain Icon

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:07 AM

why don't we lose sv_pure altogether (on everything but the qvm/coremaps)
come on people pure has been bypassed for so long it literally does nothing these days
the engine is from 1999 it doesn't take a master 1337 hax0r to completely pwn it
sv_pure existed back when maphacks where a thing they are no longer a thing
and you can still implament a map/texture hack with sv_pure enabled
it literally serves no purpose

This post has been edited by Makeurtgreatagain: 06 June 2016 - 05:08 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

i wouldnt say that sv_pure servers no purpose in stopping maphacks anymore.
Of course there is ways to get around those checks. but it will simply not load any pk3 that isnt on the "pure list". aka the list of packages the server has.
Thus, you cant just get yourself a random modified pk3, you have to modify the actual map package to "inject" such a hack.

And i could imagine that it actually helps with loading times, because you dont need to read through all packages available on a client, if the server doesnt have all of them.

i still vote for only removing the pure check on specific directories (as stated in the OP), not removing it everywhere, but a few selected spots. Even though that might be easier to implement.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942