Urban Terror Forums: Non Violent Game Feature For People And Kids - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non Violent Game Feature For People And Kids Rate Topic: -----

I am curious if is possible to implement that feature into a game

#1 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

• Account: luckycro

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hello Urban Terror gamers, enthusiasts, mods and admins. I have little proposal for you all. If nothing else we can discuss about that at least in short.

Main Topic: Non Violent game mode feature..... How I came to that? Usually I dont pay attention much on that, I am true gamer and I adore game. But there are situations where I have conscience problem, and where I just do not like to win in such situations. So here is reason why I started to think about this (if is possible to implement extra pick for people). When I play with some guys who are silent or specially when someone do not respect you, then you just think how to win right? But problem is next..... When you play friendly training, or when you play with polite person, then I basicly do not care if I win or loose, and I feel bad when I see some headshoot against friendly and cool people or when I have score lets say, 30:10 and I know those guys deserve better score against me. So yesterday I had in mind one thing......

Since Urban Terror has basicly developed gameplay, this does not need to be separated game with rubber bullets or basicly something like paintball play where is no violence, there is actually a way to make non violent gameplay even for kids with just one option in game inventory, so I am interested to know if is possible to create something like that or not? To put simple non-violent gaming option? Here it is how I designed that in my vision in 3 steps:

1. In game can be created non violent option for kids or people who do not like blood or something..... For regular users who do not include that option all will be same, but for those who pick that option, 3 things would be different.....

1.1. In non violent mode people would see instead of kills/dead bodies (when they hit or receive hit) lets say player who touch down ground and how drinks "do not know" coffe, or how he holds for arm (if hit was in arm), for leg (if it was in leg), or for head (if was in head). So in non violent mode people would be still on the ground but not dead, instead they will hold for place where they were hit. Basicly like they play with rubber bullets and without blood.

Problem: Can be when they spec other people who do not have non-violent mode on........ Or can they see from spec same even if others have leathal mode on? Basicly people with leathal mode would still see blood headshoots etc etc......

1.2. When people with non leathal mode will "hit" people there would not say for them: "you have killed or was killed", there would rather say "you hit/disqualified USERNAME with sr8/knife/etc etc", and there would not be any blod. It would look like they play with rubber bullets for people in non-violent mode, but basicly all would be same, only text will not mention killed or sliced words..... Rather it would say hit/disqualified.

1.3. Some kids or people who have bad day if they have score 0:10, or 10:25 or similar can be frustrated or angry (what is basicly normal), but, is it possible to exclude in setup kills/stricken option from their game info/console? That way when they will see only those: Nickname, Forum name (if any), Hits, Assists and ping.

So basicly is it possible to put non-violent game mode for kids and people who choose it as exctra option in game? It would not change anything in game, all would be same, but those with non violent mode will not see blood, or leathal messages, or death stats who can frustrate them if they have bad day or if they just start. I think that way even small kids would play fps games like they play paintball or something. They will not be aware that in game is blood, while other users will not experience at all any other problem.

I came to that today, so I ask. Game is perfect as it is, but with that feature even little kids would be able to play without fear of violence etc etc. More people with just little tweek, or is maybe there much more coding than I think? Anyway I had to ask, just curious why games already do not have such options as extra feature in gaming inventory in nova days?

Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Luckycro: 10 January 2017 - 03:17 PM

#2 User is offline   Fredrik Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: fredrik

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:07 PM

You can hide blood, kill text and score tho the only way to disable the scoreboard would be to unbind it, which I've done myself as I think TAB is perfect as a weapon drop bind. Alternatively there are jump maps. :P

#3 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:47 PM

Oh, cool then. You got point there.

Still I think it would be very good to have games with non-leathal mode. Not sure if is possible to have in same server 2 versions (non leathal and leathal version of dead/disqualified users), so that every groups see different person who they hit/disqualify, but if is possible it would be seriously cool to have it.

That way parents can adjust game to kid to non-leathal mode (lock setup with some password) and there is no problem. just like in Google :) I just thinking loud, its some proposal for gaming enthusiasts if they have that on mind for future games since that can bring even more people. I hope.

Anyway just thinking loud. Thank you for answer.

This post has been edited by Luckycro: 10 January 2017 - 06:49 PM

#4 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

I should start of by saying that i will separate my post into two parts: opinion, and technical "detail".

So lets start with my opinion on this:
I'm fine with turning off blood/bullet impacts/whatever. (though from a competitive pov i wouldn't advise it...).
I wouldn't care about a mode where everyone just help, i dunno, water pistols. ( i recall there being a mod for, i think it was CS that does that)

Now, to the exaggerated part, with a strong opinion to it:
But honestly, removing "kills/points" from the scoreboard? If its not about your score anymore, then its just down to "shooting people for fun", which kind of contradicts the intentions of the mod in the first place.
Additionally, while I'm aware that it was an exaggerated example, why would you feel bad for others if you scored a 3:1 against them. You clearly played better in that occasion and that's about it. Everyone should be aware that current scoreboard only shows a very short range of events, and basically should be able to "deal with it".

Lets move on to the technical aspect.
  • what would people see, when they don't have the mod enabled: The normal game. Everything a client sees is according to their local settings. That's why every tac player you spec seems to have the same tac color as you. That's why blood and bullet-marks always stay as long as you have set it. That's also how the client side skin selection works.
  • downed player models: just make them disappear. way less work, way more child friendly :). Or turn them into balloons. or statues. or. unicorns..... :)
  • changed kill msgs basically are already in. you can change it to the reduced ones where it only says the name of the weapon

Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#5 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

I can understand that some people could prefer to see less blood, etc. But these are options already in the client and they apply even when you are spectating other players.
About removing the score, I cannot see the benefit, but maybe a new option to not see your deaths in final score tab could be enough.

Beside that considerations, what I cannot understand at all is the possibility to offer the game to children in a supposed non-violent mode with guns and shootings. Children should learn that shooting people have allways very bad consequences: death, pain and blood. If you think that a game have some violence, simply do not offer it to your children. And only if they have an age enough to understand those things, then explain them that in a game you (and others) can die many times but that is not the case in real life.

The only option that I could understand to offer the game for children is to remove the knife (or replace it with a laser pointer, etc.) in non-fighting jump gamemode with all guns removed (even in the menus, etc.).

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Dunadan Icon

• Account: dunadan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

I'm newly back to the community, and remember when I brought this up about 13 years ago. My oldest daughter was then 7, and I wanted her to be able to play this and have fun without all the extra stuff. That daughter is now 20, but my littlest one now is 6.5 and this morning she just told me she wants to play with me (since my 10 year old is busy playing other games). Kudos to you for bringing it up again. Compared to the stuff that's out there now on XBox, UrT seems relatively tame now.

#7 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

Hello people, and thank you all for answers and opinions, I respect that. I agree games as such are not for kids, or it should be explained to them, and I agree games have at least little influence on kids, that is why we should remember them it is just a game. But main point is next:

"Many people do not talk english language as default, many people do not know how to setup game on non-violent way, and many people have no time to review that".

I am preety happy that Urban Terror has impressive costumization, so you can basicly modify all. Here are tips how to do it for all of you who want to make it less violent for kids.

But seriously one tip for Urban Terror Team, can you guys do it like that with just one option in inventory? It does not cost you much, and players still can costumize it later alone, right? You can put that button on default inventory:

SETUP -> Game Options -> On the bottom of inventory add just one more option NON VIOLENT GAMEPLAY (which would just adjust some things automatically for kids and adult people). There would be yes or no. If you pick yes, it will remove some options, if you pick back yes, it will restore to the defaults as it was before.

I know programmers are professionals, but because many people are not profi users, they do not know where to look, so I will show some features which this options can modify automatically when you press that button. Users can anyway adjust manually this option right? So here are some features which would be included in Non Violent Gameplay:

Setup -> Game Options:

Under Blood Settings: All rows would be disabled (no blood)

Under Bullet impact setings: Smoke effect + more effects on hit (disabled), hitsound and kill sound also disabled.

Chat settings: Under section chat time just disable chat (you prevent kids from reading or chat)

Gun settings: Killing info and hitting info disabled.

Only what is left is headshots? Any way to remove those for kids? Or that goes away together with more effects on hit when you disable? If yes, more or less that would be fully optimised gameplay with just one press for people who have lower tolerance level. Does not cost programmers much, just one more option with yes, or no, who would automatically adjust some features as I discribed. Later they can anyway manually adjust.

What do you guys think? Its seriously no problem to add that feature for programmers? Anyway its just proposal.

This post has been edited by Luckycro: 20 January 2017 - 12:07 PM

#8 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostDunadan, on 16 January 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

I'm newly back to the community, and remember when I brought this up about 13 years ago. My oldest daughter was then 7, and I wanted her to be able to play this and have fun without all the extra stuff. That daughter is now 20, but my littlest one now is 6.5 and this morning she just told me she wants to play with me (since my 10 year old is busy playing other games). Kudos to you for bringing it up again. Compared to the stuff that's out there now on XBox, UrT seems relatively tame now.

Welcome back. Yes I agree, games should have some ONE BUTTON option like that and I wonder why people in world do not implement that option already since it will help with just one click to optimize game for kids, and for adults back. Right now you need to spend about minute with searching (if you know what you do) to turn it back every time for you or your kid. In any case I am happy that more people think like me, or better to say I think more like you guys since you asked that way before I did. You can see which options (and where) you can change for kid in my post up. If you will have problem how to put it back for yourself I can say to you what is default or you can write it down before you change for kid. But I guess you know that already since most of you playing this game way longer than me.

One more time I am happy that URT has such optimisation power, but with just one click it would be even cooler. One more time, thanks people.

#9 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: rappio
  • Main tag: [PRKL]

Posted 21 January 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi there!

These are permanent settings. So if you activate
kid_gamer mode it will write all the kid_gamer
settings in your q3config.cfg file and keep
them until you reset them with adult_gamer.cfg

Copy adult_gamer.cfg and kid_gamer.cfg to your
/q3ut4/ folder

To enable kid_gamer mode, open console and
type /exec kid_gamer.cfg

To enable adult_gamer mode, open console and
type /exec adult_gamer.cfg

That's it, have fun

Yours, Rappio

Download:
http://nordicterror....Dding_v.1.0.zip

or if you want to do files yourself...

Kid_gamer:

// ------------------------------------
// You must be KIDding :) v.1.0
// Disable potentionally harmful things
// for younger players outthere.
// Adult mode also for reseting things!
// http://nordicterror.info
// Released 21.1.2017

seta com_blood "0"
seta cg_showbullethits "0"
seta cg_hitsound "0"
seta cg_killsound "0"
seta cg_sfxShowDamage "0"
seta cg_visibleBleeding "0"
seta cg_sfxbrasstime "0"
seta cg_drawKillLog "0"
seta cg_marktotaltime "0"
seta cg_sfxSurfaceImpacts "0"

Adult_gamer:

// You must be KIDding :) v.1.0
// Disable potentionally harmful things
// for younger players outthere.
// Adult mode also for reseting things!
// http://nordicterror.info
// Released 21.1.2017

seta com_blood "1"
seta cg_showbullethits "2"
seta cg_hitsound "1"
seta cg_killsound "1"
seta cg_sfxShowDamage "1"
seta cg_visibleBleeding "5"
seta cg_sfxbrasstime "5000"
seta cg_drawKillLog "1"
seta cg_marktotaltime "5000"
seta cg_sfxSurfaceImpacts "1"

For the commuinity by the community... have fun...

This post has been edited by Rappio: 21 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

What is the sound of silent scream when you still map with GTK Radiant 1.5

#10 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

Posted 21 January 2017 - 05:23 PM

That is why UrT rocks, you guys are legends. Thank you very much.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942