Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Back after many years off Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dunadan Icon

• Account: dunadan

Posted 16 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

I'm back after about 10+ years. Teenagers and new little ones will do that. I have to say this game is still as fun as it always was back in the day. I recently built a new gaming rig (tired of trying to play games with a controller on XBox) and tried COD, Overwatch, etc. They just don't have what UrT always had. I just wish there were a few more people playing, and playing Team Survivor.

Any other old timers still out there? I'm talking back in early 2000s when Oswald was around and Dragonne was making maps (on that topic, why isn't Proving Grounds out there?).

Dunadan[TTSOM]

#2 User is offline   Biddle Icon

• Account: biddle
  • Main tag: fr.

Posted 16 January 2017 - 11:31 PM

Welcome back! Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Muffie Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: muffie

Posted 25 January 2017 - 05:33 AM

ayyyyyy how you doin
.:| Win10 x64 | AMD R5 2600 | 16Gb G.Skill cL16@3ghz | ASUS STRIX Vega 64 |:.

#4 User is offline   AnonDafb Icon

• Account: anondafb
  • Main tag: <

Posted 26 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

I'm back too :'v but no one say me "welcome" x'(

#5 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: rappio
  • Main tag: [PRKL]

Posted 26 January 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostAnonDafb, on 26 January 2017 - 03:26 AM, said:

I'm back too :'v but no one say me "welcome" x'(

wb bro :D
What is the sound of silent scream when you still map with GTK Radiant 1.5

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   AnonDafb Icon

Posted 27 January 2017 - 04:11 AM

View PostRappio, on 26 January 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

wb bro :D

:O ty brooo <3

#7 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

• Account: luckycro

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

Welcome back guys!

Ps: Reason why all of you should return to UrT gaming is next: "You can be great gamer with great skills, but UrT parkour setup + insane speed of game makes UrT gamers impressive in reaction time and aiming".

That is why is this game so special. I love it!

#8 User is offline   AnonDafb Icon

Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

Is that I say...no there best game with faster shooters in the world, this is the most fast game of shots.

#9 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

• Account: luckycro

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:16 PM

View PostAnonDafb, on 27 January 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Is that I say...no there best game with faster shooters in the world, this is the most fast game of shots.

Yes, and what is best you can pick where to train. I have not understand why is jump important until I entered in SR8 mode. Well there is jump important :) For every new player best start would be to play TDM first with bots to train run, speed, movement, aiming, together with that jump servers, and after that huge maps with sniper (something like Dealey plaza, or SkeetShot), those are perfect because you can aim bots in air. When you play that for few days I am sure in few weeks, you will be like shark, ready for guys in any mode and server. It is really great to see people how they rock in many modes and how they improve their successes for over 200 % in short period of time. Great game.

#10 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

Playing perfectly (or close enough) in UrT is really special. When you find perfect timing and you're in the flow of the moment, truly... and then, having practiced and learned the timings and knowing you couldn't have been any faster and realizing that you chose the correct way that lead to success... it's like finding a narrow opening just in the nick of time, or sliding under a closing door just before it crushes you, or surfing under and through a collapsing wave. It's a spiritual feeling which no other game comes close to providing. (Maybe Quake, but it's not as balanced so it's more about domination and map-control than it is individual performances)

In more tactical games like CS players are always having to think logically and linearly to determine where the enemy might be and what they should be doing... which we do in UrT as well, but the ability any player has at a given moment to create a play out of thin air is simply astounding. Furthermore, a team of 5-6 individuals playing at the same high level and with seemless communication is just... it's so beautiful :)

It's true that the pace of the game and the possibility for super-high-frequency thought is impressive to witness in action (especially in quick/rapid succession with co-ordination) but what really gets me time and time again is realizing the skill cap is still higher than I had once thought... having to accept that while I had begun to feel 'capped out', the reality is that I was only kidding myself, allowing my ego to cover my eyes and prevent me from going beyond.

Now, I'm more open-minded. I accept that anytime I join a server, it's only a matter of time before I detect a quality of play that I'm going to have a very difficult time matching. It's moments like these (which we need to be at a certain level to be able to see/recognize in the first place) that make me appreciate the sheer potential for depth in this game... and it's really brilliant.

To me, it would seem to be comparable to any sport I can think of in terms of what is required mentally (plus fine-tuned physical reaction/twitch and consistent precision). Basically, no other video game at least, can compare to the focus and will that is required to stay in the game round after round without making a costly error.

Urban Terror is perfectly balanced (symmetrical) and is skill-based, so it's really up to each individual player to not only learn the game and the map (and meta) but to perform and to be perfect in their play, because there is simply so much potential for variance and freedom of expression and choice! And, on top of that, the playing field is level at all times! (as in sports, however unlike MOST competitive video games).

I don't know about the best or most prolific players in the history of Urban Terror, but often, for me, when I feel it's worthwhile to go 'all-out'... it truly takes everything I've got, mentally and physically to perform and to withstand the blows and still maintain focus throughout. And the thing is, best-case scenario: everything goes well for me and I feel like I had a good game, maybe I won, whatever...even then, I'll challenge myself and watch my demo only to realize that I missed something...more than once. And it's really funny, because there's no real excuse. I can't say "The game is too fast for me, I got caught up in what I was doing and missed something beacuse I couldn't see it at the time"... no, it's an obvious misplay. I did something wrong. I made a mistake. I should have been faster, better, smarter, etc. And all I can do is say "wow I lost my focus. I wonder what happened there? I know I had that. I'm better than this.". And then I learn from it.

Honestly, I think, UrT has the potential to become quite possibly the most entertaining (and thus popular?) eSport to watch ... Because it's so difficult to play well at a high competitive level consistently... and, to recognize what perfect play looks like requires a very high calibre player (who is probably also a very brave person considering everyone abdonded UrT). So when you can do it and you know you're doing it... omg... not only does it feel great, it looks really cool... and there's always so much room to improve for the average player... and the high calibre player respects the game and the focus and (positive?) energy that goes into playing... so everyone will want to watch it? Right?

I read in another thread, someone called UrT an 'ego-shooter'. No. If you let your ego come into play when you do something astounding (by anyone's standards) it's going to prevent you from doing it again next time... just like making a nice play in tennis or hockey, even though it may look awesome, it's just the way it happened... and ya, if you practice a lot and you happened to be ready and were able to react and read and make a play by deciding what to do and acting perfectly very quickly, it's going to look attractive and maybe someone will want to see it once or twice in a highlight reel, but it's nothing to get too excited about in the end. It's something to aspire to, sure.. and we can learn by it, but ultimately each player needs to do the work for themselves...

There's a lot of work to do in UrT. The problem is getting people to appreciate it and watch it closely enough to view it in the same way as we do Hockey or Tennis, in which mistakes are obvious and we realize that there are distinct levels of play which are recognizable based on personal performance and ability seen in the quality of play.

Often, just as in basketball or any other traditional sport, it takes two to tango and amazing players are often amazing people and that's all a part of the mystery of finding out what life is all about. Work ethic, attitude, habits go a long way... which is why we invest so much money into professional sports to showcase perfect examples of hard work and dedication put into action! God, I love video games.

PS: We need E-Sports-Center :P.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 19 February 2017 - 11:22 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942