• You cannot reply to this topic

How Did It All Begin? Rate Topic: -----

The Story of how you found UrT

#11 User is offline   drunkrabbit Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: drunkrabbit
  • Main tag: |RFA|

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:34 PM

It was about 4-5 years ago. I took a 20 foot fall off a platform as a carpenter and was going through 3 surgeries to put my leg back together ( I was in a wheelchair for 7 months).

I had an old Toshiba laptop and was looking for something I could play in Ubuntu. At that time I was also playing Quake Live as it ran in Linux.

The |FA|clan took me in, and I've been here ever since. :) I'm back in OSX now, and all good!

#12 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:07 PM

View Postdrunkrabbit, on 11 February 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

I took a 20 foot fall off a platform [...]
The |FA|clan took me in, [...]

Hence, it seems appropriate that Fallin' Angels took you in. :wink:

#13 User is offline   Luckycro Icon

• Account: luckycro

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:33 PM

I heard UrT is one of most popular free games (from tech magazine called BUG), and I started to play. I was not brilliant for some time, but that is great about this game, when you finally reach speed and faster aiming, you will rock.

#14 User is offline   samchun Icon

• Account: samchun

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:46 AM

I was bored during 2008's xmas holidays so I searched for "free online game mac osx" on google and Urban Terror was in the first results. My first game was on ut4_algiers with more than 30 people and smokes everywhere. I don't know why but I pretty liked it.

#15 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 13 February 2017 - 01:11 AM

View Postsamchun, on 13 February 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

I was bored during 2008's xmas holidays so I searched for "free online game mac osx" on google and Urban Terror was in the first results. My first game was on ut4_algiers with more than 30 people and smokes everywhere. I don't know why but I pretty liked it.

I played on a mac for 2? yrs :).. I think my timeline is actually inaccurate, it must have been when I was younger that I found UrT because at that point I was on my old pc that I'd used since I was playing runescape in elementary school.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 15 February 2017 - 06:24 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Fadarka Icon

• Account: fadarka

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:05 AM

Well, it was a long long time ago about the year 2000.
Quake 3 Arena was the best multiplayer game around, and having played thousands of hours into the game, I wanted something different. I used to go to planetquake a lot, back when gamespy was still around, and I found discussion of the mod Urban Terror. Looked cool, it was free too so I installed it and played.

I haven't played Urban Terror in quite some now, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was all the rage and more games just kept coming.
Used to troll the old forums a lot, if I remember correctly it was Oswald that was one of the big shots in Silicon Ice, used to drive him bananas. Me and my friend just lit this place up too, we even got nick names "Rod and Todd", and several accusations of me not even playing the game.

Man, takes me back.
I got more stories if you want.

#17 User is offline   Ikslorin Icon

•   verified user   
  • Account: ikslorin

Posted 15 February 2017 - 08:47 AM

My time playing very much is just one big happy accident and a reverse climb of the competetive ladder. :D I started playing Urban Terror in 2008 (wow that would soon be 10 years) and I played a lot on pubs for several years. That was until I got hit by a private message by 'Sirmimer' over this very forum. He needed more players to put together the danish national team for the years NationsCup (2011), and even though I was terrible I played for the fun of it. That was a really great experience tickling my competetive drive, so I joined Sirmimer in the endeavour of starting an Urban Zone team together with friends from Team Norway and a few from the Swedish team too. I played for 'Scandinavian Dynamites' for pretty much all of its lifespan of one and a half years while also playing a second time in the NationsCup, leaving me with memories of wonderful people and also starting my itch for competetive multiplayer gaming.

Due to time constraints I stopped though and haven't really played the game since. But, for all of that time I also had a huge interest in video making and vfx work. And that was the spark for me to start doing gaming content on YouTube.

In the middle of 2014 I started creating regular content for my YouTube channel, some of which was Urban Terror related, since that was still the game in which I felt the most comfortable in terms of knowledge. While not advertising for my channel anywhere and keeping it my own little corner, I slowly improved on the content by continually reviewing my own videos and refining my commentary (though it's debatable if I really have improved on that part :D). In mid 2016 SevenofNine did stumble over all of my content, and pulled me in to shoutcast on the Urban Zone channel, and also with that I felt ready to begin livestreaming myself too.

And that pretty much leaves me where I am today, not as a player but as a content creator. :)

This post has been edited by Ikslorin: 15 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

YouTube: youtube.com/ikslorin -|- Tweet, tweet: @ikslorin
Email: ikslorin[at]gmail[dot]com -|- Twitch: twitch.tv/ikslorin

#18 User is offline   Pokrakk Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: pokrakk

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:32 PM

I was once an passionate player of Quake III Arena. Unfortunately, I did not have access to the internet and played only with bots. From some page I came across an interesting modification called "Urban Terror" and immediately caught my eye. But, as already mentioned earlier, there was no point to get it because you can only play with other players.

It took several years.

Around 2008, I finally managed to connect to the Net and of course the first thing I did was I installed Quake and looked for the latest version of Urban Terror, however it just became a standalone game and did not need Quake longer.

I do not remember my first game, but I know that I loved Ramelle from the first sight - like the AK-103, a Kevlar vest and a medic kit - so the way I play today.

I remember how I could get up at six in the morning to play until going to work, then come back in the evening and continue the game. I slept at most four to five hours. Madness.

Then there were other games - from Call of Duty to Arma, from Battlefield to Cube 2: Sauerbraten, from dozens of free2play titles to many other modifications - but always returned to the Urban Terror because that's what this game has always been for me: the best balance between dynamics of Quake and tactics of more realistic games.

Today, in the era of endless grind, micropayments, DLC's and the pursuit of sales, when I no longer have it all the time (I am a father of two wonderful daughters) - Urban Terror is just for me, a real oasis of unrestricted playability and fun.

This post has been edited by Pokrakk: 18 February 2017 - 10:33 PM

#19 User is offline   Tomxor Icon

• Account: tomxor

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:32 PM

View Postbotbot, on 07 February 2017 - 10:11 AM, said:

...someone power slides around the corner and pops one into my head, grabs the flag, and disappears, all in one beautiful swift motion that lasted a second. I don't have the skills to be that and never will, but I can totally appreciate what this game can be in the right hands.

Probably the most humble and succinct explanation I will ever read of what makes UrT enjoyable and unique :D

I honestly can't remember when I picked up UrT, just that it was a long time ago, after going through the original quakes, the unreals (the original ones with the **** off huge maps), the original half lifes, then that era of Quake3 and Unreal Tournament, they were great.

At some point I got bored enough of plain Quake3 and UT, and some element of UrT remained interesting, challenging, nuanced, skillful and enjoyable (the movement of course), and endured over a decade with me... Some years I didn't play only because I forced myself to stop by deleting the damned thing :P and by luck I've ended up on linux and FreeBSD and so happy that it's here no small thanks to Carmack's insistence on open sourcing the engine and communities like ioQuake, and of course the UrT devs.

#20 User is offline   shinoogie Icon

• Account: shinoogie
  • Main tag: aNj`

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:28 PM

Started out 10 years ago playing this game digital paint. just a simple fast-paced paintballin game that had similar traits to urt. After awhile got bored and had a buddy of mine steer me to urt. ever since then its always been urt...

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942