Urban Terror Forums: Low Wattage Server, can it run urt server? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1

Low Wattage Server, can it run urt server? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: rappio
  • Main tag: [PRKL]

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:26 PM

Hello all.

I have dream of small watt eating singleboard system that could be nice "cheap home server"

Option #1

http://www.jaguarboa...l#specification

Could this actually run urban terror server without lagging. I got 50MB upload so that isnt issue.

Now asking if this "hardware" is capable?

I think only issue could be atom low serie cpu as 1gb memoryy is enought for linux server?

Option # 2

https://www.dfrobot....oduct-1498.html

I think only issue could be atom low serie cpu as 2gb memoryy is enought for linux/windows server?

Option #3

http://shop.udoo.org...-supply-eu.html

This has 4 core celeron cpu and 4gb ram... so should run ok??

So, any thoughts about 12-14 player running server?

This post has been edited by Rappio: 17 February 2017 - 01:05 PM

What is the sound of silent scream when you still map with GTK Radiant 1.5

#2 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostRappio, on 17 February 2017 - 12:26 PM, said:

Hello all.

I have dream of small watt eating singleboard system that could be nice "cheap home server"

Option #1

http://www.jaguarboa...l#specification

Could this actually run urban terror server without lagging. I got 50MB upload so that isnt issue.

Now asking if this "hardware" is capable?

I think only issue could be atom low serie cpu as 1gb memoryy is enought for linux server?

Option # 2

https://www.dfrobot....oduct-1498.html

I think only issue could be atom low serie cpu as 2gb memoryy is enought for linux/windows server?

Option #3

http://shop.udoo.org...-supply-eu.html

This has 4 core celeron cpu and 4gb ram... so should run ok??

So, any thoughts about 12-14 player running server?

Is it possible to run a server without any penalty to the quality of the playing experience? I feel as though I have always been told otherwise... that it benefits the player who is hosting the service (ping-wise) but, that in the end game runs less smoothly than it should (founded, unfounded? :unsure:). Is it maybe better for jump-maps and LAN-parties, or can it be a preferable option for a public server?

I assume the game doesn't run perfectly on all servers-services servers (:P), yet I assume that many of us who pay for these services trust that someone has done all the work for us already when we 'set it up'. Admittedly, I'm certainly guilty of purchasing a UrT server on a whim without having done my research (like phoning in and asking about specs) in order to determine which company provides the best-quality service. I wonder if we are being sold short performance-wise by accepting a 'set it and forget it' (buy it and try it) mentality as normal?

I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to hardware, nor do I feel I am familiar enough with how the code of the game works, but I imagine that If you were sharing a connection with a team who lived or at least practiced in the same area together and you wanted super-low ping, this might be an OP idea and would present a more serious 'home-server' advantage. If scrims/matches were played cross-distance on one 'home-server' and then on the other, this could be very interesting and add to the element of fun in playing on a team. If it Is a well-supported feature, maybe competitive players and teams could be encouraged to adapt it and start a home-server of their very own and make use of it when practicing and playing scrims/matches.

I'm sure you've thought of maybe having a separate internet connection? If everyone on the team chips in a bit, this could be well-worth the hassle, rather than a designating one person as the generous service-provider who (half-heartedly) expects no rent from anyone. Again, unsure of how this works and whether hosting a server may cause adverse consequences beacuse I lack understanding, but I feel like a separate connection would be preferable (call it superstition).

Questions:
How powerful would a dedicated machine need to be? (Maybe old/kept parts could be recycled?)

What is the cost/benefit analysis of a home-dedicated server vs. paying a service? Is this something everyone should be encouraged to take part in?

Is it deterimental to the playing experience if it is not done well? How difficult is it to do well?

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 17 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

#3 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 17 February 2017 - 09:16 PM

Our clan also has paid external server but im planning to host smaller just for my maps that im dev at the moment.
In past i mean 2010 i had homeserver w2k with celeron 2ghz dualcore, 1.5gb ram and crappy hd 5400rpm and
it was good for 10 players when we runned cube maps :D Now i have plans to make small eco boosted server
just for kicks :) So i dont recall any scrim or playthings other than can those SBC's run or are they underpowered.
If i can run 12-14player server with this low cost low wattage system it could be nice...

#4 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 17 February 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostRappio, on 17 February 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Our clan also has paid external server but im planning to host smaller just for my maps that im dev at the moment.
In past i mean 2010 i had homeserver w2k with celeron 2ghz dualcore, 1.5gb ram and crappy hd 5400rpm and
it was good for 10 players when we runned cube maps :D Now i have plans to make small eco boosted server
just for kicks :) So i dont recall any scrim or playthings other than can those SBC's run or are they underpowered.
If i can run 12-14player server with this low cost low wattage system it could be nice...

I'll keep a eye out for it! I enjoyed seeing the map you were developing on MrSim's stream, and also listening and appreciating the discussion shared between you guys. He mentioned that he could do a stream specifically for mapping, which would be awesome. I bet that could become a podcast or a video-series... On the surface level, someone's third-party map may only seem so appealing, but I've always found that when I am involved/immersed in the creative process that it becomes a very surreal experience and is definitely a privilege.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 18 February 2017 - 06:09 AM

#5 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

Well i ordered Z83ii from ebay for 80e

Lets see how it can handle urt server.

Specs here: https://www.minipcdb...t-Z83II-Mini-PC

Atom 4core z8350
2gb ram
32gb internal storage.

This post has been edited by Rappio: 18 February 2017 - 06:38 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Xxone Icon

• Account: xxone

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

I run easy 15 servers on a 10yr old linux laptop with kinda the same specs.
load average: 0,59 / CPU usage: 30%

#7 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostXxone, on 18 February 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

Thanks for information.

Can you please specify:
- Cpu model and frequency (i want to see direct x vs x points in cpu test sites)
- Memory exact amount, model, usage
- Player amount of your servers
- BW usage by month if metered (just curious)

#8 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 19 February 2017 - 02:59 PM

View PostXxone, on 18 February 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

with atleast 14 empty? an empty server use little to no resources.

I paid £1100 / ~1300euro for a dedicated Dell R210 server, it had 3.4GHz Xeon Quad Core. and Lil Pwny Club server on full load (32slot server) would use 40 - 50% load on a single core. since the server is single threaded I only ever ran (and recommmended) max 4 servers.

Over the years I tried many setups. but the main thing Urt Server loves most is a good CPU. I am sure you can run the server on things like Atom CPU's but I would expect the server slots to remain low.

As for BW per month a popular 32 slot server back in the day was using around 400GB per month.

This post has been edited by Nitro: 19 February 2017 - 03:05 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#9 User is offline   Rappio Icon

•   mapper   

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostNitro, on 19 February 2017 - 02:59 PM, said:

with atleast 14 empty? an empty server use little to no resources.

I paid £1100 / ~1300euro for a dedicated Dell R210 server, it had 3.4GHz Xeon Quad Core. and Lil Pwny Club server on full load (32slot server) would use 40 - 50% load on a single core. since the server is single threaded I only ever ran (and recommmended) max 4 servers.

Over the years I tried many setups. but the main thing Urt Server loves most is a good CPU. I am sure you can run the server on things like Atom CPU's but I would expect the server slots to remain low.

As for BW per month a popular 32 slot server back in the day was using around 400GB per month.

Thanks for your information, i jknow low serie atom isn't recommended to 365/24/7 server anyway :) I'll just run it for testing purposes so i don't have to mess with out regular paid server :D
I will give some statics when i get my little beast and test run it :)

What we can expect for 12w (maybe 20w with all addded usb things) max usage :)

..before anyone says anything about cooling, i will mod case to have 120mm fan with top of it :D

Z83 II INTEL X5-Z8350 MINI PC
CPU:Intel Atom x5-Z8350 Processor(2M Cache, up to 1.92 GHz)
GPU:Intel HD Graphics 400
Bluetooth:BT 4.0
RAM:DDR3 2GB
Storage:eMMC 32GB
Instruction Set:64 bit
WIFI:IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n ,2.4G/5.8G
Ethernet:1000M LAN
UHD 4K*2K:Yes Support
Full HD 1080P:Yes Support
HEVC H.265/H.264 :Yes Support

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Rappio: 19 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942