Urban Terror Forums: New Servers Coming - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Servers Coming Rate Topic: -----

New to the game, along with new servers.

#11 User is offline   ge0rdie Icon

• Account: ge0rdie

Posted 17 March 2017 - 11:41 AM

View PostFrankie V, on 14 March 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

Totally agree 100% that to many servers is a contributing factor as to the decay of an already shallow player base. It would be nice to be able to cull out the 2/3rds of the servers that that are not configured as to the needs and demands beyond the ability of anyone wishing to do so on their laptop and host a 32 slot.

It is however a problem that Frozen Sand can not solve as it's not our place to force a solution that would limit who can or can not set up a server be it lacking the serious resources necessary to do it right.

To return serve to many servers is really a problem for the community at large to solve as to what would be socially acceptable that does not require draconian solutions on the part of FS.

I have a few non-destructive ideas but what do you guys think?

I think a better solution might be to look for ways to encourage people to upgrade, so at least we are all on 4.3

eg: When people go to the server browser in 4.2 they see a bunch of greyed out servers with v4.3 next to them, and an "upgrade" button.

I have bagged the shit out of some players for being on 4.2 and they said they didn't even know 4.3 was out !

People are still playing 4.2, it doesn't cost anything to upgrade so WTF ?

They need a nudge !

#12 User is offline   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 17 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

View Postge0rdie, on 17 March 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

eg: When people go to the server browser in 4.2 they see a bunch of greyed out servers with v4.3 next to them, and an "upgrade" button.

This. we need this. Doesnt really solve this for the 4.2 to 4.3 situation, but at least really tells people to update in the 4.x
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#13 User is offline   karnute Icon

•   community dev   
  • Account: karnute

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:34 PM

View Postge0rdie, on 17 March 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

Yes, I also think this is a good idea, except for the "upgrade" button that probably is not feasible as it would first require a client upgrade.

The available servers list sent from masters for any previous version should include also all the servers in the current version, but with the string "^1 Urt4.3.2 ^9" added in front of the server name and with all other colour tags removed, so that it shows the original server name in brown/olive (almost dark grey). They would see something like: " Urt4.3.2 The Original Real Server Name".

This change will work in old version clients as it uses only resources that already are in them, and only the master server list is incremented inside FS masters. If a player with an old version tries to connect to any server in the current version they will receive an error message telling they probably need to update.

That way, the players of old versions could see where have most of the players gone and what happened to their favourite server when there is a version update.

P.S.: This will also relieve the succesfull servers admins from the need to maintain a fake server in the previous ip:port with a name like "You need to upgrade to Urt 4.3.2" or similar, as can be seen now in 4.2 ingame list.

This post has been edited by karnute: 17 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

#14 User is offline   Xxone Icon

• Account: xxone

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

I see that the same ppl are playing on 4.2 and 4.3 servers. I.m.o. the reason why ppl are still playing 4.2 is that there are modded UrT versions developed for 4.2 and who are (for now) not available for 4.3.
There are ppl who like to play these, and i think there is nothing wrong about it.

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942