• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Early Urban Terror Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#11 User is offline   Critofur Icon

• Account: critofur

Posted 30 April 2017 - 04:07 PM

For at least a few years there were THOUSANDS of players - the GameTracker website showed how many people were active players such as how many had played in the last month/year, how many were currently playing and it would add up players cumulative scores.

When you started playing was that before flashbangs were removed? I miss the "Instant Nades", though I don't really miss the flashbangs (flash grenades).

It was really awesome for many years there were so many populated servers with multiple game types to choose from and a big variety of maps. Now, there are basically two servers to choose from for those of us in North America: CTF East and Fallen Angels. There are a couple of other servers that have CTF running (with other players on them) about a couple times a week.

In terms of fun/best gameplay Urban Terror is still #1 all time from my perspective. All the other popular FPS games that have come after feel like the aiming/hits are too quirky - that is, bullets just don't go where you are pointing the gun. I put the crosshair on the other player, press fire, there should be a hit. Not so, except for the other players that seem to know how to get more hits, have "earned" better weapons, and can somehow ALWAYS instantly see you no matter how far away they are, no matter how well hidden you are in dense grass etc...

In Urban Terror, no matter how good the other players are, if you're OK you can always get SOME frags whereas with most other FPS games it can feel futile to even try playing AND, even worse, you can pay $60 for the game and find that you CANT EVEN PLAY on any of the populated servers with reasonable pings because they're ALL running maps that you don't have unless you pay extra, as if $60 was not enough to simply play the game you bought - filthy greedy producers need to squeeze every last $$$ they can by using any tactic no matter how slimy... Now with "zero day pay DLC", "microtransactions" and "Pay To Win (really it should be called Pay To Cheat)" it's almost not even fun to try mainstream FPS games anymore.

So - I'm basically desperate for a new Urban Terror and I really really really hope there is one that doesn't let us down coming out through the Steam store before too many more of us oldschool UrT players die from bad health/old age!

This post has been edited by Critofur: 30 April 2017 - 04:12 PM

#12 User is offline   Valour Icon

• Account: valour

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:10 AM

View PostCritofur, on 30 April 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

When you started playing was that before flashbangs were removed? I miss the "Instant Nades", though I don't really miss the flashbangs (flash grenades).

I have never seen a flash bang in UrT. My playing began with version 4.1

View PostCritofur, on 30 April 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

For at least a few years there were THOUSANDS of players - the GameTracker website showed how many people were active players such as how many had played in the last month/year, how many were currently playing and it would add up players cumulative scores.
It was really awesome for many years there were so many populated servers with multiple game types to choose from and a big variety of maps. Now, there are basically two servers to choose from for those of us in North America: CTF East and Fallen Angels. There are a couple of other servers that have CTF running (with other players on them) about a couple times a week.

In terms of fun/best gameplay Urban Terror is still #1 all time from my perspective. All the other popular FPS games that have come after feel like the aiming/hits are too quirky - that is, bullets just don't go where you are pointing the gun. I put the crosshair on the other player, press fire, there should be a hit. Not so, except for the other players that seem to know how to get more hits, have "earned" better weapons, and can somehow ALWAYS instantly see you no matter how far away they are, no matter how well hidden you are in dense grass etc...

In Urban Terror, no matter how good the other players are, if you're OK you can always get SOME frags whereas with most other FPS games it can feel futile to even try playing AND, even worse, you can pay $60 for the game and find that you CANT EVEN PLAY on any of the populated servers with reasonable pings because they're ALL running maps that you don't have unless you pay extra, as if $60 was not enough to simply play the game you bought - filthy greedy producers need to squeeze every last $$$ they can by using any tactic no matter how slimy... Now with "zero day pay DLC", "microtransactions" and "Pay To Win (really it should be called Pay To Cheat)" it's almost not even fun to try mainstream FPS games anymore.

So - I'm basically desperate for a new Urban Terror and I really really really hope there is one that doesn't let us down coming out through the Steam store before too many more of us oldschool UrT players die from bad health/old age!

Yes, given my experiences, many of which appear to be common, I often feel very fortunate to have received Urban Terror, and to have participated in a manner in which I was able to surpass myself countless times over about 7 years as I learned to accept the harsh reality that I was really not ever really very good.

Nothing compares to the 'pure' and balanced feel of the gameplay of UrT. To the untrained eye, the subject-matter may seem a bit violent at surface-level, but once immersed, the game Is all about the individual performances of each player and their ability to show what they can do with the physics of the game in the now, (while having more fun than they bargained for...) all without feeling any sort of NEED to return...

Given the contrast of traumatic experiences with shoddy products and service due to lack of care and delegation, I would say there's a high probability that we as Urban Terror players may share similar thoughts concerning the unplayability of most 'other games' which seem to feature shameless mind-control tactics created for the sole purpose of sucking people in and keeping them in a committal relationship by making use of operant conditioning while providing a blatantly sub-par product which seems to attract people for identifiable reasons which invariably lead to smh moments and the realization that greed has consumed the industry and reduced it to mere gambling.

I will end on a lighter note and share that I feel as though playing this game has granted me some great learning opportunities and has helped me to strengthen and train my mind to be able to do wonderful things. I'm still uncertain about whether I will play UrT seriously once more, but if I find that I can do so in good conscience, I will.

This post has been edited by Valour: 03 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942