Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Urban Terror (Competitive) Wiki Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

• Account: vortex2

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

I was thinking... wouldn't it be great if we could start a UrT Wiki featuring teams and players and anything anyone can think of to help piece together a detailed history of the game? I'm sure there is at least enough interest to accomplish this if each player were to take a few minutes to write and/or edit an article or two... I suppose the problem would be setting up the service and maintaining it.

I realize we have This, but it doesn't feature the helpful/useful information regarding players and teams which I have come to expect from Here (I have been doing some Counter-Strike research) as I have come to take for granted this useful resource which is available at my fingertips whenever a name or team comes up. I have read hundreds of articles in recent weeks. :happy:

Some may say "there's no demand for it. Anyone who knows is already aware and it won't matter to anybody else", and in response I say that you are wrong! I have noticed mostly from Twitch chat that there are actually bright young people out there who are willing to take the initiative to not only do research out of respect for teams and players, but to go so far back as CS 1.6 (which in some cases was released before CS:GO players were even born) and to learn past players and teams which in turn fills a need by providing (apparently desired) context and a better understanding and appreciation for the game itself and those who made it great. Why? Because we feel compelled to learn about each other, it's our nature :smile:.

I think this is something that would go a long way in displaying the integrity of Urban Terror as a game as well as showing the dedication of players in our community, some of whom are still here 17 years later.

I don't have much in the way of back-end knowledge, nor do I currently have strong financial backing, but I would be more than happy to contribute my time and effort in moderating and/or doing whatever is required to create and keep/maintain such a website...

I have 10+ years experience wth graphic and website design, so I can perhaps pitch in for the design of the site, but I lack coding knowledge and I'm not sure this is something I want to attempt on my own. Given that there are likely others who have had this same thought in the past, I am simply presenting the idea and opening discussion to it (but I want to help, too).

Is there anyone else willing to help make this become a reality?

PS: I have far too much free time at the moment which I am definitely willing to dedicate to this project. I would be happy to take the initiative of contacting players and doing interviews and getting all the information I can. Also, I can try to learn how to write articles properly and perhaps work with whoever is interested to come up with a template for displaying the information etc.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 12 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

#2 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:34 AM

jesus. stop moving your posts around :P

here is a copy of what i posted in the other thread:

Urban zone has a bit of information about players and stuff.

Basically UrT isnt even remotely big enough for such a wiki to work/"be of any use."
The wikia wiki is just bad. (first off i dont like wikia, gamepedia ftw :P) Its stuck in a 2013 state of information, where it still believes that the Mac10 is coming with the idtech5 based UrT HD...

A rather good source for more or less up to date and usefull information is the dswp wiki, however, i don't think they have catched up to 4.3 yet (been a while since i checked though).
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#3 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostIye, on 12 March 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

jesus. stop moving your posts around :P

here is a copy of what i posted in the other thread:

Urban zone has a bit of information about players and stuff.

Basically UrT isnt even remotely big enough for such a wiki to work/"be of any use."
The wikia wiki is just bad. (first off i dont like wikia, gamepedia ftw :P) Its stuck in a 2013 state of information, where it still believes that the Mac10 is coming with the idtech5 based UrT HD...

A rather good source for more or less up to date and usefull information is the dswp wiki, however, i don't think they have catched up to 4.3 yet (been a while since i checked though).

Oh dear, I've replied in the other thread as well! :unsure:

Basically I stated that I see no real reason not to do it and plenty of reason to do it.

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 12 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

#4 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:38 AM

Now if you really wanted to come up with a wiki, i would suggest opening a new one. The wikia one would take quite a bit of work to get in line, and then again, im not sure how limited wikia capabilities are.

I suppose gamepedia.com would be the goto, and if you can convince an FS member to head over there and open it up (because you can only "suggest" wikis to gamepedia, and its probably better if a dev does it, they even have an checkbox for that), i guess it could be done :)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#5 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 12 March 2017 - 04:42 AM

That sounds alright to me, especially considering I lack the resources myself to start a dedicated site.

https://en.m.wikiped..._Inc.#Gamepedia

Should Gamepedia represent 'The Official Urban Terror Wiki' or should it be separate?

I'm not sure I like that it represents 'gaming' or 'games' as I see competitive Urban Terror as more an eSport... and Liquipedia is a page which is dedicated to eSport information.
^my only contention

Personally, I have seen the benefits of being committed to involvement in a competitive video game. I've seen the good and the bad and in the end, I've decided that more than anything else, I want to contribute to eSports: the tradition (for various reasons). I understand that the common infrastructure for online competitive video games is still in development and well, taking shape (as we figure stuff out)...and in the meantime, I hope that I can contribute to it's becoming in a positive way (however small)...

I think many indie game titles such as Minecraft are great fun :) but I worry that due to the evolution of technology and of our capabilities, the generalization of 'video games' has become such a diverse and complex notion that while it is very beautiful to imagine, ultimately such an image would depend on personal experiences. While I can admire Gamepedia for striving to provide information for players, I do worry that the ambiguity involved in being associated with 'games' and 'gaming' is perhaps acceptable only in an introductory way, as I would feel inclined to believe that further clarification is most certainly neccessary.

Urban Terror is special, and it is my own personal opinion that it deserves its' own dedicated wiki page. As a compromise, maybe we can begin with Gamepedia (which could help with exposure) and if things pick up, maybe we'll feel inclined to make a change?

Honestly, I can't imagine that it would be horribly expensive to put up and maintain a wiki-website given the volume of information that would be present. It may even be something I can do from home and host my own PC (if I ever get it back up and running). But if someone is experienced in doing something like this and wants to pitch in, I would much rather focus on design and perhaps writing.

This is something I've been considering for some time now. While I would like to bring this idea of having an 'official' Urban Terror Wiki to fruition, I'm hesitant to take the next step. I'd like to see more thoughts and opinions and it would be great if we could do this together. :smile:

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 12 March 2017 - 06:20 AM

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Vortex2 Icon

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:19 PM

Possible Articles:

Up-to-date rosters and team information (including past teams)
& Detailed information telling the story of how each clan/team came to be, and perhaps also how the demise or end came about (this seems to be lacking on the Liquipedia page, which only shows the date players join and leave... which is frankly a little unsettling to say the least, given the familial experiences I've had with playing on a team in UrT).

Technical information about the game itself including built-in features and how they work, when they were changed/edited and where they are at now (eg. 'Recoil' in UrT, or Hitsounds etc.)

Thematic Articles such as, perhaps, The Transition from Action Quake to Urban Terror and the relationship (maybe it would be entitled 'AQ and UrT')

Possible Series:

Past competitive tournaments and matches in various leagues including STA, FTW, CB, etc. With screenshots (maybe we could have a "screenshot lost" image until it is replaced by someone's submission.)

The History of Frozen Sand development/developers... telling a linear story leading to the present state of Silion Ice Inc.

Famous Setbacks (disasters along the way in development)

Glorious moments in UrT history

Etc.

I imagine we could choose a distinct quantifiable 'tone' to represent the game itself, perhaps with a hint of humor and with accepting and loving candour in regard its' continual development (thus far).

This post has been edited by Vortex2: 13 March 2017 - 04:40 PM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942