Urban Terror Forums: Is FS planning a Resurgence Q&A session any soon? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is FS planning a Resurgence Q&A session any soon?

#12 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:16 PM

Will I be able to play this game as a stand-alone application?

Will I be able to play this game without registration?

Will I be able to play this game in Linux?

Will I be able to run my own server that is not part of Steam or whatever?

What is the extent of the changes in terms of open-source moving to the Unreal Engine 4?

What maps will be included standard?

What is the high level status of the project right now?

What are the most significant changes to gameplay compared to the legacy Urban Terror that you had to decide upon and admit to?

#14 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 05 May 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostFrankie V, on 05 May 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

What are the reason why someone would not want to make use of Steam?

I guess people don't want to tie themselves to steam. I too would indeed prefer if UrT remained separate from steam, that is would work (to a reasonable extend) without steam. Its not like i wouldn't use steam, i use it on a daily basis, I just don't like first off tying myself to it. Then there obviously is the privacy issue (since they pretty much know when you play what game).
However, i can see that features such as steam friends, their server browser, their tools section and most imporantly UPDATES (which basically is the reason steam was created in the first place) are a huge help to developing a game and i have no "problem" with you making use of it. It sure as hell is easier and quite possibly better to use a premade API maintained by a big company that to do those things on your own. If i didn't have a steam account already, i would create one for urban terror in any case. <3

There is one thing that i always like about UrT though: That you could always just copy paste/unpack it and play right away. No registration, no accounts, no unlocks, nothing. Just play. (Granted the fact that it is copy pastable is more a relic of its origin and age)
If possibly i would prefer it if there was a non steam version for both clients and servers. I wouldn't care if it lacked a possible matchmaking feature, or a friendslist or whatever, just having it would be nice. This may sound pretty strange, and even more so considering i would probably end up the steam version anyways. Its just about that good old feeling of, i guess, freedom.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the Q&A video that you posted on another thread. I have just a few follow-up questions...

View PostMagister, on 30 April 2017 - 10:16 PM, said:

What is the extent of the changes in terms of open-source moving to the Unreal Engine 4?

The answer to this question seems to only talk about licensing, which isn't actually what I am asking about (although it is obviously a related subject and I understand its importance).

I just want to know about the open-source status of Resurgence.

Example: Until version 4.2, server operators have always had the ability to view the server source code and compile it themselves.

Another example: The client program (the base engine) has always been open-source and so players have had the opportunity to view and compile the client program's source code. (I understand that the mod assets on top of the client engine have never been open-source, but that is not what I'm asking about here).

I simply would like to know to what extent Resurgence's source code (both server and client) will be open to users and server operators. Maybe the answer is simple, i.e. maybe the game is now fully closed-source.

What maps will be included standard?

I'm excited to hear that many of the standard maps will be released with Resurgence and I hope that they remain as true as possible to the spirit of their original versions.

In your answer to this quesion I didn't hear anything about some of my favorite standard maps, especially the very popular Algiers. And Riyadh. Would you (or another FS member) comment on those?

What are the most significant changes to gameplay compared to the legacy Urban Terror that you had to decide upon and admit to?

I was hoping for more of an answer to this question, since changes to gameplay from legacy UrT is such a critical subject. Maybe I didn't word the question in the best way. I am asking FS to talk about limitations they discovered when trying to exactly copy the feel of legacy UrT to the new Resurgence version (for example duplicating the movement physics and other gameplay aspects). I imagine that perhaps some things were just not possible to replicate to your satisfaction and I'd like to hear about any such admissions.

#17 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:55 PM

Reference: Frankie V's Resurgence Q&A Forum Post

#18 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostMagister, on 12 July 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

And Riyadh.

I've seen a greyboxed version of riyadh on frankies channel, i think. However, i, and i guess a sizable part of the "casual" community would care about Eagle a lot more :)
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#20 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:20 PM

View PostIye, on 12 July 2017 - 09:50 PM, said:

I've seen a greyboxed version of riyadh on frankies channel, i think. However, i, and i guess a sizable part of the "casual" community would care about Eagle a lot more :)

I like Eagle also.

But I believe that Riyadh is uniquely important because it's the only standard map that is a mirror (talking competition maps here -- dressingroom doesn't count).

Having a standard map that is a mirror is useful for resolving tie-breaking third games, since both sides are objectively equal.

This post has been edited by Magister: 13 July 2017 - 11:27 PM

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942