Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matchmaking Topic

#1 User is offline   Magister Icon

• Account: magister

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Let's discuss matchmaking ideas and I have my own which I'll describe. This follows from a discussion I was having with a FS developer and so I want to bring it here for open comments from all.

It would be refreshing to have what I call a FREE HUMAN mode for matchmaking, in addition to a computerized auto-matchmaking system that every other game has.

I'll describe the simple way it works. The server starts with all players in Spectator mode. Red team and blue team get a captain and they join the game on their respective sides. The captains go 1v1 (traditionally this is a knife-only fight) while the spectators watch. The winner of the fight gets first team pick among all the spectators. Other captain gets second pick, and they take turns picking until the teams are full. No interference by computers. Just us humans!

Would also be great for this mode to allow the option to play a full match where the teams change sides of the map after the first game and play again to decide the winner.

#2 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:45 AM

I imagine the human captains are perfectly capable of reading the list of players and their ranks or notoriety levels (or whatever) when they press the Tab key to overview the game. Also, I want to point out that servers do have communities and many players will be known by sheer name recognition, without even looking at the displayed player notoriety or whatever rank number.

Obviously this matchmaking system would be voluntary and not all servers would want to play that way all the time. There could be an option to enable it by player vote, taking effect on the next map in rotation (I like this idea very much), after which reverting back to computer matchmaking. There should also be an option for the server to allow only admins to enable human mode, to disable it on the server entirely, to use it exclusively on the server, and then finally there should also be an option to disable all built-in matchmaking (this allows potential space for custom matchmaking methods).

#3 User is offline   Seven of Nine Icon

•   former FS member   
  • Account: sevenofnine
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:31 AM

Similar to pickups that are being done now but then not depending on the good will of the players and/or IRC. It's a great step up from public games and often a introduction to competitive URT.

I like the idea!

#4 User is offline   Magister Icon

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:44 AM

Thanks. And I'm not trying to say I came up with this way of matchmaking, since we all know it has existed for a long time like you said on IRC with PUGs. My idea is to basically import all that functionality into the game UI itself. I came up with the name Free Human mode just to contrast it with the other matchmaking systems that are all automated by computers.

This post has been edited by Magister: 01 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

#5 User is offline   mightypaul Icon

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

I hope current system with servers/game type stays in place.

Auto-matchmaking I won't use, it's frustrating, just uninstalled a game because of that.

Waiting for some guys to knife around will be wasted time for me - not going to use.

Maybe something semi-automatic will be good. Like let's say I want to play ffa or tdm, on one of the selected maps (algiers, abbey and turnpike) press start and let the game find me something.

Bottom line: I want to be able to select quick the match type and maps.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is online   Iye Icon

•   head moderator   
    Co-Chief Community Moderator
  • Account: iye

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:36 PM

View Postmightypaul, on 26 July 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

I want to be able to select quick the match type and maps.

Which is what every good quickmatch system should do. After all from what i got the intention is to have quickmatch as an addition to the classic server browser.
Sorry for my bad spelling - I am still asleep. :)

|=| Iye's UrT Addon |=| Firefox Personas |=| Maps |=|
http://www.mediafire...vk3a602hcfg.jpg

#7 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:40 AM

Yes please. Introduce "ranked" games which build a player elo and allow for skill segregation to help build up new players, so they don't simply get owned and uninstall.

At the same time allow for public servers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942