Urban Terror Forums: Start Mapping With Urban Terror Map Maker - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Start Mapping With Urban Terror Map Maker Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#22 User is offline   kick52 (old) Icon

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

Can someone post a zip of the mapmaker files etc?

I am on a Mac, so I can't run the program, though I still need the shaderlist and whatever.

#23 User is offline   ax1um (old) Icon

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

So after we do this, our q3ut dir. will be uber cluttered? I'm not down with that  :-( I hate clutter on a computer. It's possible to assign things there own folders.

#24 User is offline   Woekele Icon

•   former FS member   
    Public Relations
  • Account: woekele

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:39 AM

I would imagine that you could just make a total seperate folder for mapping. Just make sure that all pointers to the folder locations point to the right folder.

#25 User is offline   Wily Duck Icon

•   mapper   
  • Account: wilyduck

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:03 AM

Realistically, in development, clutter happens. It is a good idea to have 2 installs of the current urban terror version, however, a bit of advice that might help.

1st install - normal install, pub maps, unzipped mapmaker files (these are structured in directories to work with q3ut4)
2nd install - only the original urt4 files

For the 1st, you have the benefit of utilizing a great deal of resources, and testing your map along side others. In rare instances, your map will break other maps which you get to address before more testing (with say a broken shader, q3 freaks out). In practice you'll be putting your files in the appropriate directories which significantly reduces problems and clutter.

For the 2nd, after you have packaged your map and created a .pk3, copy your test pk3 over to this install. Run it. Here's where you find out what happens in a vanilla environment. Missing textures? Sounds? Shaders not working right? Skybox missing? Lots of crazy stuff can happen. All the things you want to catch before a release should be reviewed here.

If you're thinking a lot of files get unzipped to q3ut4/ and splatter all over the q3ut4 root folder, that's not true by any means. Understanding the directory structure is necessary, but not difficult. Mapmaker covers most of these issues.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   slackin Icon

• Account: slackin
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

yea, i actually have 3, one totally clean, one only pk3's(the one i normally play with, has a lot o custom maps), and the one i devel with

#27 User is offline   ironized (old) Icon

Posted 14 March 2008 - 04:12 AM

sorry for resurection, i have a problem with my gtk 1.5, and im about to rage so hard. so im trying this, will this set everything up?

#28 User is offline   unknownkilla (old) Icon

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:41 PM

hey, i want to start mapping, but i dont really get all the instructions.
e-mail me at: unknownkilla@gmail.com if u have anything that can help

#29 User is offline   Nightcrawl (old) Icon

• LocationSweden

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

The best help to be found (afaik) is posted in this topic already. What exactly are you looking for?

#30 User is offline   Delirium Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: delirium

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:45 AM

so with this can i re-create turnpike so you can go into the area that is fencced off

or would someone else do it for me lol
you would have to name it like ut4_turnpike2_beta lol

• (12 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942