Urban Terror Forums: iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#42 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:16 PM

I have add my SAM engine to ioUrbanTerror source code.

A new binary data is on the first post:
http://forums.urbant...pic,9878.0.html

I do not know how to add some bots to ioUrbanTerror - I thought this feature has been disabled - Where is the truth ?

My SAM engine really love dualcore...
For performance problem, I need to know full details of your config.

#43 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:18 AM

I have add my SAM engine to ioUrbanTerror source code.

A new binary data is on the first post:
http://forums.urbant...pic,9878.0.html

I do not know how to add some bots to ioUrbanTerror - I thought this feature has been disabled - Where is the truth ?

My SAM engine really love dualcore...
For performance problem, I need to know full details of your config.

Last night I used beta 3 (20080226) for almost four hours.  FPS didn't drop below com_maxfs 125 except when a ton of stuff was happening on screen in a big area, and those drops were brief and small (FPS never dipped below 100).  I'm still getting some weird crackling at times (s_samSamplingRate at 48000, s_samVoiceCount at 64 - wouldn't think either value is out of line for my system, see previous post), but not much, and with my true surround cans with LFE (s_samChannelMode 0x61) the directionality, depth and resonance were generally spot-on.

I will test 20080227 tonight and report back.

As for enabling bots: *Before* you load up a map, drop to the console and type bot_enable 1.  Load up the Abbey map (the only one with real bot paths, IIRC), then drop to console and type addbot chicken (or cougar, tiger, etc...there's a list of bots somewhere on this forum).  Bots are not officially supported and rumor has it they can crash the server, but it's never happened to me.

As for the dualcore thing: I have a dualcore (Intel) and intentionally run ioUrt on just one core, because it seems to have some awful scheduling problems across two cores (can SAM use two cores when the game process is locked to one?).  There are some threads on this forum about how to fix dual-core problems with certain AMD CPUs, but the Intel duals are good, the oft-referenced MS hotfix for dual-core applies *only* to AMD, and I have never had an issue with games on dual-core except those based on Quake 3.

#44 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:59 AM

davy> Thanks for your report.

I will see how to add a patch to force use the other core to run better (only for SAM thread).
Personnaly, I have no problem on Intel Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad or AMD AthlonX2.

#45 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:09 AM

Did you test this properly by running the same map with 10 bots with this sound prog uninstalled?

What was there to test Bladekiller - offline is offline. Never had any issues except the odd crash.

I'll have another go with the latest binary (20080227) and see how that goes.

As I said before - it's a fine idea and I would like to see it work properly as well.

Why isn't there more feedback from the community on this one? - I thought most players would jump at this.

BF

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#46 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:13 AM

What was there to test Bladekiller - offline is offline. Never had any issues except the odd crash.

I'll have another go with the latest binary (20080227) and see how that goes.

As I said before - it's a fine idea and I would like to see it work properly as well.

I'll work on the SSE/SSE2 optimized version when this beta become stable.
The latest SAM is a pure "C" code. My first SAM version (around september 2007) have SSE and SSE2 optimisation because of 128-tap FIR filter. Actual SAM only needs 16-tap FIR filter.
I think the optimized code of latest SAM accelerate by a factor of x2 to x4 execution time. But ioQuake and ioUrbanTerror have a big problem : 100% of mono-core CPU processing time is always used !!! (With a frame rate limited to 30FPS or 125FPS !!!). The vertical sync don't change anything ! I need to inspect the source code...

Why isn't there more feedback from the community on this one? - I thought most players would jump at this.

I think there are more feedback when I could provide a stable version.

#47 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:28 AM

Did you test this properly by running the same map with 10 bots with this sound prog uninstalled?

My test was performed online however on the same server as always with the same amount of ppl and after connected with latest iourbanterror.exe to see if it was not related to me or the server.
Changes that there was something impacting the server the moment I was testing this out could be there though however are minimal

#48 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Quote from: Border Fox on 28-02-2008, 08:09:48

Christophe > I think there are more feedback when I could provide a stable version.

LOL - I assume you are right here, but how many people install beta software knowing they could screw their machines just for that something little extra.

Anyway - what you're doing is very productive and the changes to the io installation are harmless.

I was hoping for more feedback/experiences, which would also be welcomed by you.

I can try online tomorrow night (Friday 28th). I don't get much gaming time these days  :cry:

BF.

#49 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:01 AM

Beta version 20080227 appears to suffer the same big FPS drops as 20080222 did.  Also, and perhaps more importantly, surround modes 0x60 and 0x61 sounded like stereo.  I double and triple checked I wasn't goofing it somewhere, did a s_samrestart between each change - and it still sounded stereo. :/  Just to make sure I wasn't crazy I fired up 20080226 with the same config and surround was fine.  It's still quite possible I fudged something, but I was out of ideas.  So I spent another four-five hours using 20080226 with much glee. :)

#50 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 29 February 2008 - 07:38 PM

Tried it for few days now. Haven't noticed worth mentioning fps drops with it (the build based on ioUrbanTerror). Can't really tell or the directional audio is good or anything since i'm not quite an audiophile.

My sam.cfg i used with +exec to start ioUrTSAM with:
s_useSAM 1
s_samLimiterLevel 0
s_samChannelMode 0x61
s_samVoiceCount 64
s_samSamplingRate 48000
s_samLatencyDuration 20
s_samBufferDuration 250
s_samSFXCount 4096
s_samMemoryAlloc 64

My system spec:
A64 3500+ (socket939), 1.5GB DDR400 RAM, GeForce 6800, SB Live 5.1 (Set to 5.1 mode in Windows audio speakers settings)
Audio listening tested with a Sharkoon Cosmic 5.1 headset.

• (63 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942