Urban Terror Forums: iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (63 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#11 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 25 February 2008 - 06:57 PM

I would like to try this too, I downloaded and unpacked the files but when I execute it it says "This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.".
If someone knows the solution, please help me :)
Can't wait to try urbanterror with my new soundsystem

Install OpenAl?

#12 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:28 PM

I would like to try this too, I downloaded and unpacked the files but when I execute it it says "This application has failed to start because OpenAL32.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.".
If someone knows the solution, please help me :)
Can't wait to try urbanterror with my new soundsystem

Sorry, I forgot the ioQuake 1.34-rc3 source code needs OpenAL.
I've added OpenAL32.dll in the zip file. I hope it will be good because I can't test this. My 3 computers already have OpenAL installed.

#13 User is offline   Nationalist Icon

• Account: nationalist

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Sorry, I forgot the ioQuake 1.34-rc3 source code needs OpenAL.
I've added OpenAL32.dll in the zip file. I hope it will be good because I can't test this. My 3 computers already have OpenAL installed.

As it's a dll, does it need to go in system32? If it does, are there instructions in the zip file? Also, does it need to be registered? If it does, you're better off asking people to download the installer, which is conveniently located here:

http://developer.cre...ile=oalinst.exe

#14 User is offline   MerkyMerc Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: merkymerc

Posted 25 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

I tried it and it sounded excellent! I had terrible fps however. I turned it off to see if it was the audio engine but the fps was the same either way so I think the ioquake exe might have a hand in it; could be wrong. Just wanted to report it to you  :-)

#15 User is offline   Minimum Rage (old) Icon

• LocationBelgium

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:52 PM

LOL amazing!!!

Last week I entered a contest and i won a Logitech Surround set (G51) worth €170 = $200

This is perfect!

thanks!!

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:04 PM

Does it have directional sound? In Linux on openal (even on stereo) I was able to hear sounds on a different pitch depending on where they are in the gameworld, front or back (I wasn't able to do it on Windows). It is a tremendous improvement since currently by default as far as I can tell, one hears a sound being back exactly in the same way as being front if the angle is equivalent.

(If you have a hard time understanding what I'm saying close your eyes (or don't look at the screen) while going a few rounds staying on a spot in a map having a few sounds around it, you'll soon lose direction).

#17 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:11 PM

As it's a dll, does it need to go in system32? If it does, are there instructions in the zip file? Also, does it need to be registered? If it does, you're better off asking people to download the installer, which is conveniently located here:

http://developer.cre...ile=oalinst.exe

OpenAL32.dll does not need any installer. Look at my first post ;). ioQuake only needs to "see" and "load" the DLL in the current UrbanTerror path.

#18 User is offline   christophe_d13 (old) Icon

• LocationEurope

Posted 25 February 2008 - 10:19 PM

Does it have directional sound? In Linux on openal (even on stereo) I was able to hear sounds on a different pitch depending on where they are in the gameworld, front or back (I wasn't able to do it on Windows). It is a tremendous improvement since currently by default as far as I can tell, one hears a sound being back exactly in the same way as being front if the angle is equivalent.

(If you have a hard time understanding what I'm saying close your eyes (or don't look at the screen) while going a few rounds staying on a spot in a map having a few sounds around it, you'll soon lose direction).

I have implemented 2 hybrid HRTF processing :
- 0x21 2.0 Headphone with fast HRTF (with 15cm/6" within speakers)
- 0x22 2.0 360 Virtual Sound (with 110cm/43" within speakers)
My 0x22 mode (360° Virtual Sound) doesn't work correctly).
It's hard and need lot of time to correct this.

My HRTF implementation is very hybrid, it uses ITD (Interaural Time Difference), IIT/ILD (Interaural Intensity/Level Difference) and Bauer delay. All my personnal R&D on HRTF using 128 tap FIR filter and pre-recorded 360° data is very usefull only with some headphones ($100-$250) and some people... Bauer delay implementation is much more powerfull on lot of people (and ears !) and classic headphones.

The Stereo Mode (0x20) is a pure stereo like original ioQuake.
Some sound cards and drivers implement an internal converter with full HRTF : Select the output of your sound card driver to "Headphone"  and select SAM to 4.0 or 5.1 with or without LFE.

#19 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:36 AM

UrbanTerrorSAM is a special version of UrbanTerror 4.1 / ioQuake 1.34-rc3 with my SAM audio engine.

Can you atleast merge your changes with current ioUrT source tree? Which is btw version 1.35. Otherwise i don't really see whats so "special" for UrbanTerror about it without the changes and updates done to ioUrT which is made specially for UrbanTerror.

#20 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:44 AM

Can you atleast merge your changes with current ioUrT source tree? Which is btw version 1.35. Otherwise i don't really see whats so "special" for UrbanTerror about it without the changes and updates done to ioUrT which is made specially for UrbanTerror.

Right. Chase away the most skilled programmer to have visited the forum in years.

• (63 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942