Urban Terror Forums: iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (63 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

iKALiZER : New audio engine (Surround sound UrbanTerror) - v0.22.00b - NewPatch Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#21 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:09 AM

I have implemented 2 hybrid HRTF processing :
- 0x21 2.0 Headphone with fast HRTF (with 15cm/6" within speakers)
- 0x22 2.0 360 Virtual Sound (with 110cm/43" within speakers)
My 0x22 mode (360° Virtual Sound) doesn't work correctly).
It's hard and need lot of time to correct this.

My HRTF implementation is very hybrid, it uses ITD (Interaural Time Difference), IIT/ILD (Interaural Intensity/Level Difference) and Bauer delay. All my personnal R&D on HRTF using 128 tap FIR filter and pre-recorded 360° data is very usefull only with some headphones ($100-$250) and some people... Bauer delay implementation is much more powerfull on lot of people (and ears !) and classic headphones.

The Stereo Mode (0x20) is a pure stereo like original ioQuake.
Some sound cards and drivers implement an internal converter with full HRTF : Select the output of your sound card driver to "Headphone"  and select SAM to 4.0 or 5.1 with or without LFE.

I have just downloaded your zip and will not try it out until tonight at home, but as an audiophile I can tell you know what you're doing and I am very excited!  Thank you so much!

#22 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:42 AM

Good job Christophe - it seems you put a lot of work and thought into this.

But please excuse my dumbness here - Small bit confused by all the ioquake etc references.
I dont' fully comprehend all the audio jargon (what it can do etc) but...

1. Does this work on the latest standalone 4.1 version or just with a quake install?

2. Some members have been commenting on directional sound (ie someone behind me and not to the side) - is this the case?

3. Ok the last one -

in layman's terms - what can we expect to hear here after everything is installed.

I too play with headphones so what should I expect? (if of course I can install it - question 1)

Thanks

BF

#23 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:28 PM

> 1. Does this work on the latest standalone 4.1 version or just with a quake install?

If you peak inside the first zip he referenced, you'll see a binary called iourt.exe.  This is the ioQuake binary (2.x) with Cristophe's Surround Sound Goodness baked in.  Put all the files in your base install dir (usually C:Program FilesUrbanTerror), copy the shortcut to your desktop and run it from that shortcut.

> Some members have been commenting on directional sound (ie someone behind me and not to the side) - is this the case?

Uh, you confused me, but I think you mean does virtual surround sound work with headphones, which would be a yes.

In your q3config.cfg or autoexec.cfg define the vars like he said:

seta s_useSAM 1
seta s_samLimiterLevel 0
seta s_samChannelMode 0x21 // 2.0 Headphone with fast HRTF (slow processing)

> in layman's terms - what can we expect to hear here after everything is installed.

With your headphones (regular stereo), virtualized 3d that should give you a good sense of where a sound is coming from directionally in the gameworld.  This is a great advantage over simple stereo.  And it sounds more realistic too.

And if you like that, try a pair of real 3d phones :)  :mrgreen:

#24 User is offline   flinkaflenkaflrsk (old) Icon

• LocationNL

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:02 PM

I tried it and it sounded excellent! I had terrible fps however. I turned it off to see if it was the audio engine but the fps was the same either way so I think the ioquake exe might have a hand in it; could be wrong. Just wanted to report it to you  :-)

I exerienced the exact same thing. I normally have 101 fps capped and it rarely goes lower with this iourt.exe it was more like 35 fps and having huge imapct on my system. Even with the feature turned off.

#25 User is offline   BorderFox Icon

• Account: borderfox

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

Thanks davy. Solid answers. I'll give a try when I'm at home.

BF > Some members have been commenting on directional sound (ie someone behind me and not to the side) - is this the case?

davy > Uh, you confused me, but I think you mean does virtual surround sound work with headphones, which would be a yes.

That's what I was getting at. With using virtual surround sound, would I know from which direction the sound is coming from - ie player behind you.

Just spotted flinkaflenkaflrsk's post - I'll keep that in mind.

Ok - "sounds" good. I'll give my feedback once I've tried it out.

BF

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline    DP  (old) Icon

• LocationKaliforn-i-a

Posted 26 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

Thanks davy. Solid answers. I'll give a try when I'm at home.

That's what I was getting at. With using virtual surround sound, would I know from which direction the sound is coming from - ie player behind you.

Just spotted flinkaflenkaflrsk's post - I'll keep that in mind.

Ok - "sounds" good. I'll give my feedback once I've tried it out.

BF

I used s_samChannelMode 0x60 because I have surround sound phones.  Just played through a bit of TDM and some CTF - as much as I could take.  Sound gets a bit choppy (tried playing w/ s_samVoiceCount but not s_samSamplingRate since the native rate on my Audigy 2 ZS is 48000 IIRC).  Directionality seems fairly accurate, but I got horrible FPS drops that made it hard to tell which way I was facing.  This is on a BFG 8800GT, and with my config I easily peg 125 FPS and never get a drop...well, not with the older 1.0 ioQuake binary anyway.  The 2.0 has given me a number of problems so perhaps the FPS drop is more related to core coding of the 2.0 rather than the overhead for audio processing.  Christophe, I don't suppose you could be persuaded to compile this against the 1.0 binary? :)  Anyway, this is a great start, and please let me know if you want specific things tested out.

#27 User is offline   CRIMENY Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: crimeny
  • Main tag: /eVo/

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

Am I doing something wrong?  I set samvoicecount to 16 yet it sounds awful.  The best way I can describe it, is that it sounds like there's the software-equivalent to an audio compression circuit.  If I start firing an automatic, the sound dulls, gets muddy, and clips.

I'm running XP Pro SP2 with an Audigy2 ZS; listening through Sennheiser HD570s, powered by Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (not the ProMedia GMX).

The sound level seems odd as well...very short audio is loud and right in front of me, while background music and sounds are dull and muddy...and when I connect to a server, the UrT main screen audio is still playing while I'm connecting, and then stops once I enter the server.  Any ideas?

#28 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

Right. Chase away the most skilled programmer to have visited the forum in years.

Ow yeah, so let all use this binary and flush all woekele has done to ioUrbanTerror down to the toilet.  :x
Because patching up ioQuake3 means its 'specially made' for UrbanTerror. Forget about ioUrbanTerror, because in your eyes woekele is not a skilled programmer.

Anyway back to my request here. Merge this with ioUrbanTerror source tree plz.

#29 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:22 PM

I was referring to your tone, not woekele:

Can you atleast merge your changes with current ioUrT source tree? Which is btw version 1.35. Otherwise i don't really see whats so "special" for UrbanTerror about it without the changes and updates done to ioUrT which is made specially for UrbanTerror.

He should "at least" do something because you "don't really see what's so "special"".

#30 User is offline   Nexu Icon

•   clan leader   
  • Account: nexu
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

I was referring to your tone, not woekele:

He should "at least" do something because you "don't really see what's so "special"".

I was involved with helping woekele at certain stages (like adding features, testing, compiling) when he was doing ioUrbanTerror for UrbanTerror 4.1. So yeah, i don't see whats so special to a set of audio patches applied to ioQuake3 source tree and than called by the author called "special for UrbanTerror" without including any of the stuff Woekele has done for ioUrbanTerror. Altho i realize ioUrbanTerror is basically also a patchset on top of ioQuake3, atleast the changes that has been done are made for UrbanTerror only in mind.

Rather than a global set of patches that replaces the current audio subsystem which could be basically used on any other game.
That is why i say "what is so special about it specially for UrbanTerror?"

But than explaining to the resident forum troll makes little differences. Also more you probably do not care since you haven't done crap for ioUrbanTerror.
Posted Image

PS = i have nothing against the new audio sub system coded, only how it was presented "specially for UrbanTerror 4.1".

• (63 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942