Login | Register 
Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MAX_TW_VERTS (12) Exceeded Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   pmt3ddy (old) Icon

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

I get that error every time I compile my map, except when I compile it with BSP -meta only.

:cry: What does it mean?
I tried google and read something about having a cluster of geometry getting sliced up too much in the compile.
But I can't find it on my map... No clue what so ever.
Any idea's on how to fix it though?

#2 User is offline   pmt3ddy (old) Icon

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

Fixed.
For anyone having or going to have the same problem. If you make tiny brushes...and a lot of them, make sure to make them detail and not structural.
at least, that's how I got mine fixed.

#3 User is offline   R4zrF1r3 (old) Icon

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

I know this is a newb question, but what exactly is the benefit or effects of detailed brushes?  I know they aren't calculated in by the VIS process, but how exactly does it affect gameplay?  Can you still bump into them?

#4 User is offline   PapyRuny Icon

•   former FS member   
    Mapper
  • Account: papyruny

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

It's for  VIS  compile step.
If brush is structural so this brush can be used in VIS for "blok view" .And if brush is detail so this brush is not used in VIS step. It 's better to  make brush structural only less possible

#5 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

detail and structural are essentially the same, except structural blocks VIS (what the engine draws depending on where you are looking in the map).  a good way to see what the engine is drawing is to use "/r_showtris 1" (0 to shut off) in the console when testing your map.  sometimes you'll be surprised on what it is drawing.  when you want to start focusing on improving FPS, this is when hint brushes can be used, but that's an advanced topic.

the basic rule i follow when building a map is to make every brush detail except the hull brushes (those that separate the inside of your map from the void).  i also keep the hull as simple as possible, as this will typically compile faster.  patches should always be detail.  ut4_dealey_b2 is a large open map and is all detail, except for the skybox brushes and a simple underground hull that the player never sees.

Posted Image  Posted Image

large open maps are a challenge, so natural boundaries like large hills or buildings might help if hinting is done properly.  for blocking vis as best as possible in large open areas, you have to get creative with structural and hint brushes.  here is an example from dragonne and one of his druglord maps:

http://forums.urbant....html#msg119305

continue reading that thread for some more info on hinting by bladekiller, keres, and null.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   R4zrF1r3 (old) Icon

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:51 PM

So, if the player were to not know anything of the map, there would be no way for the player to know if a certain brush is detail or structural?  And thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it's what I was really looking for. 

#7 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

So, if the player were to not know anything of the map, there would be no way for the player to know if a certain brush is detail or structural?  And thank you very much for your detailed explanation, it's what I was really looking for. 

the player has no idea if a brush is structural or detail.

#8 User is offline   R4zrF1r3 (old) Icon

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Cool, but if I used a detailed brush where it had contact with the "void", it would produce a leak right?

#9 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:54 PM

Cool, but if I used a detailed brush where it had contact with the "void", it would produce a leak right?

correct.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942