Urban Terror Forums: Optimized .app; builds of ioq3 engine - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (19 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Optimized .app; builds of ioq3 engine Rate Topic: ***** 4 Votes

Mac64 Snow Leopard support, Fixes and Improvements

#51 User is offline   10fw Icon

• Account: 10fw

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:28 PM

I have a rather weird issue with your build that I got seemingly over night. Every time I want to connect to a server now - no matter which one - it suddenly takes about a minute (with music looping) while UrT just doesn't respond before it proceeds to the loading screen. It's not too little RAM - there's enough free RAM left, UrT just doesn't take it when the map isn't already loaded.
I made a fresh install, redownloaded your .app, turned down the detail, tried out other resolutions, tried the windowed mode, deactivated the proxs - no effect. And I didn't even change anything in UrT, the problem just appeared and persists.
The reason why I'm writing that here instead of blaming UrT, me or my computer is that it only happens with your 64bit-app. The 32bit-app works just fine there, although it cripples my mouse, but that's a different topic...

Edit: I almost forgot - checked the logs, didn't find anything unusual or anything written before/while connecting to the server.

This post has been edited by 10fw: 04 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

#52 User is offline   voidref Icon

• Account: voidref

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

View Post10fw, on 04 June 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

I have a rather weird issue with your build that I got seemingly over night. Every time I want to connect to a server now - no matter which one - it suddenly takes about a minute (with music looping) while UrT just doesn't respond before it proceeds to the loading screen. It's not too little RAM - there's enough free RAM left, UrT just doesn't take it when the map isn't already loaded.
I made a fresh install, redownloaded your .app, turned down the detail, tried out other resolutions, tried the windowed mode, deactivated the proxs - no effect. And I didn't even change anything in UrT, the problem just appeared and persists.
The reason why I'm writing that here instead of blaming UrT, me or my computer is that it only happens with your 64bit-app. The 32bit-app works just fine there, although it cripples my mouse, but that's a different topic...

Edit: I almost forgot - checked the logs, didn't find anything unusual or anything written before/while connecting to the server.

When you did your clean install did you delete the content of both dirs, o r just the one in /Applications?

#53 User is offline   10fw Icon

• Account: 10fw

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I deleted /Applications/UrbanTerror (although I think that wouldn't make any difference) and moved ~/Library/Application Support/Quake 3.
I tried around a bit with my previous /Quake 3 folder today to find out which file caused the trouble, and the result was - none. :huh: Regardless of the ~/Library/Application Support/Quake 3 folder, your app works again - I didn't restart, log off or change any of the files.
Very weird, especially since the 32-bit app worked all of the time. Hopefully, the problem just won't return... and if, I should find a way to intentionally reproduce it to help you finding the problem.
Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your work.

#54 User is offline   Weedwalker Icon

• Account: weedwalker
  • Main tag: duff.

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

Hey, i have a few problems with console key "`" normaly and now "<" , when i want to close the console sometimes it dosnt work. I have to tape "<" and "`" together ---> weird

The loading map is a great achievments :D , no more than 4 or 5 seconds !!!

Other problem , i cant change weapon when i'm walking.
duff. / #duffbeer

#55 User is offline   Dmmh Icon

• Account: dmmh

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

View Postvoidref, on 14 April 2010 - 08:42 AM, said:

The normal build for 10.5 is probably better than this would be, the whole point really was for a 64bit build.

no offence, but the default version pretty much sucks; if you cmd+tab out of the game, and open it again, it starts reloading the entire game. I'm not much of a developer and I know it can be prevented when disabling the "genie" effect, but still I believe there has to be a way around this. Also, map loading times are simply unacceptable and at least 4 times faster on any version of windoze. It's not like I prefer windows, I switched to MAC (on PC) for a reason, but the difference is staggering. Some maps have to load twice and ofcourse there's the f-ing "reliable command" was cycled out message, which may make me load the map 3-4 times, setting me 2-3 minutes of precious play time. It's simply annoying as hell!

so no, in no way whatsoever is the 10.5 good. I am actually contemplating installing windows on a seperate partition just to play UrT normally.

And I am not even talking about the huge FPS hit in comparison to a windoze environment, I can make 125 steady on most maps with my measly ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT on Windows 7-Windows 98, but on OSx, it mostly is 30-40 fps. Sure, a large part of it is to poor drivers for OSx, but I am also pretty sure a large part is because of the below average client for OSx.

It simply sucks

there's a whole lot of stuff which makes the client suck, but I am focussing on performance here...

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#56 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:57 PM

You might want to try compiling the ioq3-urt with bumpy. It may be more 'explosive' in stability:D but it may increase FPS in relatively newer hardware.

#57 User is offline   Weedwalker Icon

• Account: weedwalker
  • Main tag: duff.

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hey Voidref, i need your help cause i play in some competitions and its pretty boring that i cant change weapon when im walking, any idea?
duff. / #duffbeer

#58 User is offline   voidref Icon

• Account: voidref

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

View PostWeedwalker, on 05 July 2010 - 03:38 PM, said:

Hey Voidref, i need your help cause i play in some competitions and its pretty boring that i cant change weapon when im walking, any idea?

I really have no idea. I just compiled this thing. I don't really have time to investigate the input methods and how they interact with the game.

You could try changing your walk key to CAPS LOCK so that it's sticky.

#59 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

View PostDmmh, on 23 June 2010 - 07:06 PM, said:

no offence, but the default version pretty much sucks; if you cmd+tab out of the game, and open it again, it starts reloading the entire game. I'm not much of a developer and I know it can be prevented when disabling the "genie" effect, but still I believe there has to be a way around this. Also, map loading times are simply unacceptable and at least 4 times faster on any version of windoze. It's not like I prefer windows, I switched to MAC (on PC) for a reason, but the difference is staggering. Some maps have to load twice and ofcourse there's the f-ing "reliable command" was cycled out message, which may make me load the map 3-4 times, setting me 2-3 minutes of precious play time. It's simply annoying as hell!

so no, in no way whatsoever is the 10.5 good. I am actually contemplating installing windows on a seperate partition just to play UrT normally.

And I am not even talking about the huge FPS hit in comparison to a windoze environment, I can make 125 steady on most maps with my measly ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT on Windows 7-Windows 98, but on OSx, it mostly is 30-40 fps. Sure, a large part of it is to poor drivers for OSx, but I am also pretty sure a large part is because of the below average client for OSx.

It simply sucks

there's a whole lot of stuff which makes the client suck, but I am focussing on performance here...

Theres a way with a Gat script. You scan the memory before minimizing, then reload it into memory after its minimized. Do the same thing on maximize. Remember this from a old COD game.

I'll look into it, seems crude and painfull to do it that way, but we'll see.

~AZ
B1naryTh1ef
:3

#60 User is offline   Frostig Icon

•   verified donor   
    www.urban-zone.org
  • Account: frostig

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Yoo,

first of all it's a nice build. Works pretty smooth for me. No lags any more - no black lines and so on :))!

But i got some questions.

1) Is openAL the only other sound system avilable in this build?
2) How comes i cant minimze my UrT anymore. Befor i could alt tab.. Neither works /minimize...
3) Any way to change the color of the clock? :D if i change to an other number the clock is white or hidden.....

• (19 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942