Urban Terror Forums: How many up for another community challenge? - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How many up for another community challenge? Rate Topic: -----

Gauging interest for another mapping challenge

#21 User is offline   Diggs Icon

•   verified donator   
  • Account: diggs

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:48 PM

View PostSneaks, on 09 November 2010 - 06:49 AM, said:

This weekend start, suitable Diggs?

It is whatever works for you guys/girls. I just want to encourge the process and make it a bit more interesting. Personally, I would like to see a playable map come out of it but I don't want to dictate the competition just make it more interesting. I'll figure out the payment logistics, you guys decide how you want the competition to go.

Technically, I can map. But, I don't have the time, patience or creativity to do so. I would like to encourage those that do. I support the developers and the servers I game on. I have supported other map competitions on other games and really meant to do this long ago for UrT.

BTW - Easiest for me is to deposit directly into a persons Paypal account. They do not need a Paypal sellers account. How common is Paypal in other parts of the world? Is Paypal just a US thing? Even if a person does not have an account, they are free to set up and there are other options.

This post has been edited by Diggs: 09 November 2010 - 03:50 PM

続けてゲーム

#22 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostSneaks, on 09 November 2010 - 06:49 AM, said:

wow, that put some pressure on.

To clarify;
These are usually speed maps that are complete in 9 days, by a variety for people at different skill levels.

The map should be playable at the of 9 days, so needs spawn points.
To add to playability it should include support for ctf and ts game modes.
The map should include stairs, interesting use of stairs recommended.
Map made best as possible with in a 9 day period, and explain what you would add/modify to your map to polish/improve if you win.

This weekend start, suitable Diggs?

I'm taking this as you're running with this thing (which is fine by me, happy to run these things when there's enough interest, but it's less work to just be able to participate.)

Just a thought, if there's going to be real prizes you may want to give a little lead time, set up a firm timeframe and try to drum up some additional interest over in the other mapping threads.

View PostDiggs, on 09 November 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

It is whatever works for you guys/girls. I just want to encourge the process and make it a bit more interesting. Personally, I would like to see a playable map come out of it but I don't want to dictate the competition just make it more interesting. I'll figure out the payment logistics, you guys decide how you want the competition to go.

Technically, I can map. But, I don't have the time, patience or creativity to do so. I would like to encourage those that do. I support the developers and the servers I game on. I have supported other map competitions on other games and really meant to do this long ago for UrT.

BTW - Easiest for me is to deposit directly into a persons Paypal account. They do not need a Paypal sellers account. How common is Paypal in other parts of the world? Is Paypal just a US thing? Even if a person does not have an account, they are free to set up and there are other options.

That's way generous of you. It might be easiest to do a credit at an online retailer, i.e. an e-mail gift card at Amazon or some big site with international presence.

#23 User is offline   Diggs Icon

•   verified donator   

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:30 PM

View PostDrewfin, on 09 November 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

Just a thought, if there's going to be real prizes you may want to give a little lead time, set up a firm timeframe and try to drum up some additional interest over in the other mapping threads.

That's way generous of you. It might be easiest to do a credit at an online retailer, i.e. an e-mail gift card at Amazon or some big site with international presence.

If you want to use this as an opportunity to open up the scope of things instead of just "stairs" then of course that is fine with me and this may provide the incentive to do that. I don't want to dictate how, where and what. I just want to provide something different that may help motivate.

I mentioned Paypal, because at least here in the states it can be used at so many on-line retailers and is an easy secure vehicle to transfer funds into someones account. Money orders and wire transfers tend to be cumbersome for smaller money transfers like this. I also don't need account numbers, addresses, etc. Regardless, I don't want to micro-manage the competition. Decide what works best for all involved and count me in at the end.
続けてゲーム

#24 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:39 AM

I was trying to secure a comp in the next few days, it seems the winners are by vote of the people. What needs to be run?

SO far as PayPal, in Australia its very common. I think some extra time is needed for the prize based comp, which is a shame, it looked like it was on. No one has expressed interest, your a difficult crowd to motivate.

Basically I try and do 5 to 10 minutes at night mapping at least. Currently getting ready to add stairs to a map so released the idea to the community in the hope it would generate some more ideas quickly, and so help my design. I could release the dimensions of the space Im working on if some one wants to have a go.

#25 User is offline   Drewfin Icon

• Account: drewfin

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

View PostSneaks, on 10 November 2010 - 06:39 AM, said:

I was trying to secure a comp in the next few days, it seems the winners are by vote of the people. What needs to be run?

Winners don't have to be by vote, it's pretty much up to whomever decides how things are going to work. If you're running it, you can find judges, judge yourself, whatever.

Basically someone just needs to take charge. It's not difficult, but somebody needs to decide on the rules, the timeframe, how to do juding/voting etc., and just generally keep things moving. In post #20 you seemed to be indicating that you were kind of taking this thing and running with it - which is great, I'm more than happy to step back and catch the next one. I was just making sure that's the case so I can butt out and act solely as a participant.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#26 User is offline   Diggs Icon

•   verified donator   

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:15 AM

This isn't a now or never offer. I'm not going anywhere. When the opportunity and circumstances are right for a mapping competition that could benefit from a donation then keep me informed.

Rather than a "stair" building exercise maybe pick a theme and give it a 30 day time frame if that is more agreeable to the participants. Just thoughts. I don't want to dictate the competition and I certainly don't want it to be "my" competition. I want it to be something that works for as many people as possible.
続けてゲーム

#28 User is offline   mindriot Icon

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:00 AM

That is a cool idea. Reminds me of ut4_burbs where some of us built houses for lots in the map. Unfortunately, I don't have time for a competition.

This post has been edited by mindriot: 11 November 2010 - 10:01 AM

#29 User is offline   jtn191 Icon

• Account: jtn191

Posted 11 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

cool idea, johnnyenglish! I'll get in on anything I'm capable of, otherwise I'll be happy to vote :biggrin:

#30 User is offline   Sneaks Icon

•   verified donor   
  • Account: sneaks
  • Main tag: =-KMA-=

Posted 11 November 2010 - 01:11 PM

View PostDiggs, on 11 November 2010 - 01:15 AM, said:

This isn't a now or never offer. I'm not going anywhere. When the opportunity and circumstances are right for a mapping competition that could benefit from a donation then keep me informed.

Agrees mate, I didnt want to come in and rush a small event when you offer inspiration for something bigger.

Sure I can organise it, before the HD release. We could find ourselves busy after that date learning new techniques and fragging. It seems I acted with haste and thought these things could move quickly but people need time to respond. I can say now, the map will be voted by the people, not an individual.

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942