• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Drop FPS in specific area Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Silince Icon

• Account: silince
  • Main tag: |it|

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:13 AM

Hi all,

Sorry for creating a new topic about fps issues but i have massive fps drops in some maps and it's definetly annoying.

So, i have drops in uptown when i am next to the trees near the blue flag, i have some in orbital_sl too when i am standing in the garden (near the red flag), and in some other maps too.

It happens even if i am the only player on the server. I have a config with low details but that's not solving my problem.

I have a clean hardware and my computer isn't old.

Here are some screens : http://img88.imagesh...g=shot0003f.jpg
I normally run with 84 fps without drop, but some place...

Am I the only one with that specific issues ? I hope that someone could help me to fix this.

Cheers

This post has been edited by silince: 27 November 2010 - 12:56 AM

#2 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 27 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

It might help the mappers a lot if you post screenshots of exactly the spots you see it.
edit: typos

This post has been edited by mitsubishi: 27 November 2010 - 12:26 AM

#3 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 27 November 2010 - 01:23 AM

To make it short...

To resolve this: (either or)
A: Lower your graphics settings in game.
B: Get a new graphics card.

The reason why you are getting these issues:
Things like trees and complex shapes have several faces and/or vertices.
Your graphics card has to render EACH one individually.
Meaning, the more there is, the more the GFX has to work to render each frame.

You could relate it to a backpack. The more stuff you put into it, the harder it is to carry. If it get's too heavy, you start to slow down and want to revert to dragging it if you had to.
Same concept with the graphics on a computer.

Some maps aren't put together well and aren't cordoned off in small blocks. This creates the same slow down effect on almost any graphics card. In order for the game to properly render the map fast enough, the mapper assigns each part of the map to a small area. This way, your computer only has to read that small area instead of the entire map at once.

This effect can be best described by:
Let's say, you have some chores to do in the barn. You have 100 bails of hay stacked up on top and beside each other. Certainly you could carry more than one. And even if your a tough guy and could hall the weight of all 100 at once, the tools you have, your hands, would not be sufficient enough to carry all of the oblong shaped bails. Instead, even Mr tough guy has to carry them one or 2 at a time.

Other maps like Uptown or put together well and cordoned off well. If you are getting FPS drop from staring at a tree in Uptown, you need a stronger Mr. Tough Guy aka GFX card, or you could just give him less to carry. :P

#4 User is offline   Silince Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:49 AM

View PostPussnboots, on 27 November 2010 - 01:23 AM, said:

To make it short...

To resolve this: (either or)
A: Lower your graphics settings in game.
B: Get a new graphics card.

The reason why you are getting these issues:
Things like trees and complex shapes have several faces and/or vertices.
Your graphics card has to render EACH one individually.
Meaning, the more there is, the more the GFX has to work to render each frame.

You could relate it to a backpack. The more stuff you put into it, the harder it is to carry. If it get's too heavy, you start to slow down and want to revert to dragging it if you had to.
Same concept with the graphics on a computer.

Some maps aren't put together well and aren't cordoned off in small blocks. This creates the same slow down effect on almost any graphics card. In order for the game to properly render the map fast enough, the mapper assigns each part of the map to a small area. This way, your computer only has to read that small area instead of the entire map at once.

This effect can be best described by:
Let's say, you have some chores to do in the barn. You have 100 bails of hay stacked up on top and beside each other. Certainly you could carry more than one. And even if your a tough guy and could hall the weight of all 100 at once, the tools you have, your hands, would not be sufficient enough to carry all of the oblong shaped bails. Instead, even Mr tough guy has to carry them one or 2 at a time.

Other maps like Uptown or put together well and cordoned off well. If you are getting FPS drop from staring at a tree in Uptown, you need a stronger Mr. Tough Guy aka GFX card, or you could just give him less to carry. :P

I like the way you described it :)

I will try to decrease the graphics details a bit, but i won't gain a lot as i am still playing with a low texture details.

Anyway, tanks a lot for your help.
I will try to avoid these areas IG :p

#5 User is offline   mitsubishi Icon

• Account: mitsubishi

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:05 AM

View Postsilince, on 27 November 2010 - 12:13 AM, said:

Thanks. That may hopefully help the mapping.

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Silince Icon

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:20 AM

View Postmitsubishi, on 27 November 2010 - 11:05 AM, said:

Thanks. That may hopefully help the mapping.

NP, i just hope that these issues won't be too frequent in the futur release.
Hopefully, this isn't happening in the usual maps (tp, abbey, algiers)

#7 User is offline   Pussnboots Icon

• Account: pussnboots

Posted 29 November 2010 - 03:56 AM

View Postsilince, on 27 November 2010 - 11:20 AM, said:

NP, i just hope that these issues won't be too frequent in the futur release.
Hopefully, this isn't happening in the usual maps (tp, abbey, algiers)

I hate to be the pessimist, but in all likelihood, it will be worse. Not necessarily with the original maps ut4 and <, but more-so with newer maps. (Although, I do suspect bump mapping and some other graphical enhancements will be applied to the overall game engine.)

I could be wrong on this, but quite honestly, I HOPE I'm not. Generally, with new releases of game "updates", the game get's better. Given the history with Urban Terror, (especially since the last to 4), I'd be willing to bet that URT HD will be "fully loaded" by time it reaches the end user. I'm certainly counting on it.. especially with the title.

It's likely also, that URT 4.1 servers will remain around for quite some time as well. So it's more than likely that you will be able to continue playing Urban Terror 4.1 for quite some time after a complete successful launch of HD.

If, however, you would like to play HD when it officially launches, I'd say, start saving your money for a new graphics card. A game shattering new one can (now) be purchased for just $100 US dollars. (XFX ATI Radeon 5770HD). If, for whatever reason HD isn't what we expect it to be (relating to graphics), simply use the money for something else. :D

#8 User is offline   Solitary Icon

•   former FS member   
    Programmer
  • Account: solitary
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 30 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

What CPU / videocard do you have?

This is most likely occurring due to the CPU bottleneck of the standard UrT client.

#9 User is offline   Silince Icon

Posted 01 December 2010 - 12:15 AM

View PostSolitary, on 30 November 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

What CPU / videocard do you have?

This is most likely occurring due to the CPU bottleneck of the standard UrT client.

I used to play with a dual core T3200 and an ATI Radeon HD3470.

As advised i buy a new laptop : intel core i5 with an ATI Radeon HD 5470. It's a lot better.
I can play with 125 FPS now except on these areas... But with 100 FPS constant, it's more than enough for me.

I just hope that with the new release my fps won't decrease. As far as i know, the current engine of urt doesn't handle well GPU and CPU (for exemple : multi core issues). And urt is working well on old computer...

#10 User is offline   pollofeliz Icon

• Account: pollofeliz

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

View Postsilince, on 01 December 2010 - 12:15 AM, said:

I used to play with a dual core T3200 and an ATI Radeon HD3470.

As advised i buy a new laptop : intel core i5 with an ATI Radeon HD 5470. It's a lot better.
I can play with 125 FPS now except on these areas... But with 100 FPS constant, it's more than enough for me.

I just hope that with the new release my fps won't decrease. As far as i know, the current engine of urt doesn't handle well GPU and CPU (for exemple : multi core issues). And urt is working well on old computer...

I have i3 portable with HD5470 and it's pretty nice. I cap FPS at 84 and it runs stable at 1920x1080 most of the time but not always. There are no issues whatsoever on established maps like Orbital, unless there is lots of smoke. There are still 2-3 maps when my FPS drops in some areas. One such map is called something like raiders. It's huge and pretty, but if I aim with SR8 accross the map, specially at the areas with lost of trees, I see some lag. Dropping my resolution to 1280x720 fixed this, and the game still looks awesome. If you can, try to pick up a portable with Redeon HD5650 or better, but HD5470 shouldn't be bad at all. I worry about Urban Terror HD though, the next update.
3AKOH
(usually)

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.urbanterror.info/members/donate/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942