Urban Terror Forums: connection speed vs. frames per second - Urban Terror Forums

Login | Register 
Advertisement
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

connection speed vs. frames per second Rate Topic: -----

imac i7 late 2010 + fibre "power" = crappy performance

#11 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:59 PM

Have you tried setting the affinity for UrT on just one core?
I know i7 has some cool features like HT and scaling, maybe setting the affinity to 1 can help.

#12 User is offline   OlympicSmoker Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

Might try playing with
s_mixprestep //default 0.01 mine 0.05
s_mixahead //default 0.2 mine 0.16
does have drastic FPS impact on my rig.. you have to find the "sweet spot" between fps increase and sound glitches though

also
r_lodbias 2 // Detail On The Players Models 0=best, 1=better, 2=worst
r_roundimagedown 2
r_dlightback 0
ext_gammacontrole 0
r_colorbits 32
r_texturebits 32
r_picmip 2
those might help.. dunno why but it seem to run smoother at 32bits color & textures on my comp

com_hunkmegs 1024 will definitly help
might try rising com_soundmeg a bit too .. try 16 0r 32
and com_zonemeg to 48

if nothing does it .. lower ur res ... I have to play 800x600 on my aging G5Posted Image

This post has been edited by OlympicSmoker: 02 December 2011 - 08:05 PM

#13 User is offline   Rayne Icon

• Account: rayne

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

He is using i7, if that thing can't pump the game on max then nothing can. He should not be finding himself in a need to reduce the graphics quality to get stable 125 FPS.
The problem lies somewhere else.

#14 User is offline   Haydugjr Icon

• Account: haydugjr

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

What kind of cooling do you have in your computer?
Sorry, Caps-Lock broke there for a minute.

#15 User is offline   Ateamrocks Icon

• Account: ateamrocks

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

125 is obviously the limit, however on a macbook I usually get drops to 80FPS when I'm moving around, or there is a lot of action.

With an i7 as Rayne noted, you should be able to get constant 125fps. I'm interested in what speed RAM you have, what your disk speed is looking like, and if you can clock your CPU for us.
B1naryTh1ef
:3

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#16 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostHaydugjr, on 02 December 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

What kind of cooling do you have in your computer?

the built-in apple standard thingy but i don't actually know the specs for that..but i can tell you that the fan isn't running like crazy or anything while i'm playing..

this is so weird...

p.s. thx to olympicsmoker for the tweaking hints... gonna try that

i did timedemo in devmap to see if my frames drop the same way.. well they don't .. up to 600 and more.. 170 at the lowest..

This post has been edited by KarlMariaSeeberg: 02 December 2011 - 10:45 PM

if you don't like uptown, you are basically hating urban terror.

#17 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 02 December 2011 - 10:55 PM

View PostAteamrocks, on 02 December 2011 - 10:42 PM, said:

With an i7 as Rayne noted, you should be able to get constant 125fps. I'm interested in what speed RAM you have, what your disk speed is looking like, and if you can clock your CPU for us.

i'm not at home right now... so can't open my system profiler:) but i'll post what you asked for as soon as possible

how do i clock my cpu?

#18 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:43 PM

View PostRayne, on 02 December 2011 - 03:00 PM, said:

Raise your com_hunkmegs, set it to 2/3'rds of your total available RAM.

any hunkmeg size over 512MB would be pointless, the game on average only uses around ~250MB a setting of 512 can easily accommodate this.
I have also ran the game at 300MB and did not suffer any consequences.

setting it to 8GB would be ridiculous plus a 32bit instance can only allocate a max of 1024MB per process, (not sure if this is a limitation to windows only)
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#19 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 02 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

I dont think its a graphics issue (infact I seem to get worse FPS the lower graphics i go) its a beefy system get the settings maxed out and give it something to work with.

secondly I wonder how Intel based macs deal with cpu throttling and speedstep technology It could be possible that the os isn't detecting the need for cpu power and has the CPU still running at a lower clock speed than normal, maxing out the setting could change that. however it might be good to see what the cpu speed is running at whilst the game is running.

I personally do not think its related to sound settings (the game is old and so is the sound system)

bare in mind your new connection will still be going through its calibration stages, and your ISP will be monitoring it for stability, also are there any other users on the network?

This post has been edited by nitro: 02 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#20 User is offline   KarlMariaSeeberg Icon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

View Postnitro, on 02 December 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

however it might be good to see what the cpu speed is running at whilst the game is running.
bare in mind your new connection will still be going through its calibration stages, and your ISP will be monitoring it for stability, also are there any other users on the network?

hello again

i'm the only one using this connection . ..

i could run the game in window mode but i guess this would alter the performance .. any other way to monitor cpu usage while in game?

karl

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored link
https://www.frozensand.com/

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942