Advertisement
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Gameservers.com HELP! Rate Topic: -----

big brother admin tools

#1 User is offline   cabinfourus Icon

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I just started a new server and I would like to add some admin tools. I am subscribed to gameservers.com for my server and they do not support big brother. Does anyone know of one I can use to add things like mstats, xlrstats, alias, etc. I really need all the info I can get on this, as I am a beginner at running a server.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:37 AM

they are quite right not to allow B3--it has an extremely detrimental effect on server performance.

For stats:
I believe gameservers gives you FTP access, so that means you can get log files (qconsole.log). This can be parsed by a tool like VSP:
http://vsp.goquake.com/

just give it or a script the ftp info and have the script grab logs every hour or so.

For admin tools:
Rcon can be handled remotely (hence the name "remote console"). I know of one gameservers.com-based server that has all sorts of automatic administrative stuff handled by a script/bot, so it's definitely possible to automate many aspects of things. I'm not sure of the exact implementation, but you can email cookies@fnclan.com who runs said server.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

#3 User is offline   cabinfourus Icon

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

View Postdon, on 25 January 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

they are quite right not to allow B3--it has an extremely detrimental effect on server performance.

For stats:
I believe gameservers gives you FTP access, so that means you can get log files (qconsole.log). This can be parsed by a tool like VSP:
http://vsp.goquake.com/

just give it or a script the ftp info and have the script grab logs every hour or so.

For admin tools:
Rcon can be handled remotely (hence the name "remote console"). I know of one gameservers.com-based server that has all sorts of automatic administrative stuff handled by a script/bot, so it's definitely possible to automate many aspects of things. I'm not sure of the exact implementation, but you can email cookies@fnclan.com who runs said server.

Thank You very much for the help. I have found that rcon is a great tool. I guess as time goes by I will try to add others to it. I had heard that BB would lag my server too, I am glad that gameservers looks out for their customers.

#4 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

B3 doesnt lag your server at all, how can it? its simply parsing a log and issuing rcon commands based on text matches in the log.

What typically causes the lag is because people want things like XLRSTATS which requires HitLogs to be enabled to work fully. This tells the server to log every hit in the game server which usually puts more load and stress on things like Hard drives. Providing you have decent hard drive performance and/or disable hit logs, then B3 should work with notice of any side effects.

I have been running B3 for over 3 years with out issues, but it has plenty of resources available to it including an SSD hard drive for seek/read/write performance.

B3 can still be run on a server provided by gameservers.com remotely from a B3Bot host. However this is done using FTPtail which can result in the bot being slow to respond to commands at peak times.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

#5 User is offline   don Icon

• Account: don
  • Main tag: GlaD-

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

View PostNitro, on 25 January 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

B3 doesnt lag your server at all, how can it? its simply parsing a log and issuing rcon commands based on text matches in the log.

What typically causes the lag is because people want things like XLRSTATS which requires HitLogs to be enabled to work fully. This tells the server to log every hit in the game server which usually puts more load and stress on things like Hard drives. Providing you have decent hard drive performance and/or disable hit logs, then B3 should work with notice of any side effects.

I have been running B3 for over 3 years with out issues, but it has plenty of resources available to it including an SSD hard drive for seek/read/write performance.

B3 can still be run on a server provided by gameservers.com remotely from a B3Bot host. However this is done using FTPtail which can result in the bot being slow to respond to commands at peak times.

b3 is fine on a good server, but GS.com is oversold. The logging is what causes the lag, and it's generally recommended to disable as much logging as possible, or at least use g_logsync 1, which buffers the log to reduce disk writes. It'd be nice if more servers used SSDs, but I strongly suspect GS.com does not, at least on UrT servers. Writing to a large banlist causes a very long hitch (~500+ ms on West of the West, a gameservers.com server), which is consistent with accessing a fragmented file on a mechanical drive. I see similar issues on servers with heavy B3 usage. Not all servers with B3 lag, but the vast majority have noticeable lag from B3.

I'm not sure how a local B3 setup interacts with a server, but if you're using rcon to control a server, you'll need to do something about the restriction on the number of rcon commands allowed per second. I notice, on patched servers, it can often take 2-3 repeats of a command before it's accepted by the server. Not sure how this would affect a remote bot, or if it's even an issue with new versions of the server, but again, on the version gs.com runs, it's an issue.
GlaD-don
Past teams:
Partners in Terror | The Dark | Team Terror | Noobs Gone Wild | Xor | Blight Gaming | Area 51 Gaming | Team Lzuruha | Besserman6 | Console | No Care Bears | Zing | Pro5 | American Idols | Team Canada | No Defiance | Unlimited Gaming
<3 to the people who built and sustained the North American competitive community over the years. xil, r, vex, icu, bos, .e, '`|v|~, iF, -x-, ill, un, xor, glad & all the rest. thanks for the games

bullet_loaderAdvertisement

#6 User is offline   Nitro Icon

•   QA member   
  • Account: nitro
  • Main tag: |P|

Posted 26 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

I have b3 installed locally and it communicates with the urban terror server over localhost which is specifically ignored by the built flood protect. also the database is stored locally and communicated in a similar way, I also do not have hits currently enabled.

I think the other problem is that too many people use a great deal of plugins which are scanning the logs for the text they need and then issuing more rcon commands.

B3 was never originally intended to be used remotely but it does work remotely. Again though none of this is B3's fault its only working with what is available to it.
Lian Li pc-o11dw Der 8auer Edition · Gigabyte x570 Aorus Xtreme · AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core
32GB DDR4 3800MHz CL16 · 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe RAID 0 · 16GB Radeon RX 6900XT Liquid Cooled

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Copyright © 1999-2024 Frozensand Games Limited  |  All rights reserved  |  Urban Terror™ and FrozenSand™ are trademarks of Frozensand Games Limited

Frozensand Games is a Limited company registered in England and Wales. Company Reg No: 10343942